Author Topic: Where to put a tweeter  (Read 6454 times)

guest1272

Where to put a tweeter
« on: March 12, 2010, 09:22:27 PM »
OK, so after getting my Jazz (;D) I realise that the sound system has a few issues.
Firstly, it sounds muffled at low volume. Reducing the Bass by 1 cures this. But then when listening at mid to high volume, it sounds too tinny  - increasing the bass by 1 (back to Centre) cures this.

So we have 2 situations:
Low volume = sounds best with Bass -1
Mid-High volume = sounds best with Bass C

Now I know that the HU could be changed to improve things but I would've thought the speakers would be a more obvious improvement (the speakers don't appear to have a linear frequency response across different volumes).

I also reckon the rears are not very noticeable by me so whereas I was considering 2 pairs of coaxials all round, I'm now thinking maybe I'll spend the whole amount on a single set of front components? (i.e. double the budget per speaker and only get the fronts).

So the Q remains, where can I mount the tweeters?

Unlike the USDM version, there are no tweeter cutouts in the dash.

If you look closely at the door picture above, notice there is a flat ledge at the front of the top of the trim (circled).

It's about the right width for a good seating position for a tweeter - and the bonus is no drilling holes required as the tweeter could simply perch on top of that ledge and I'll just need to feed a wire to it.

A good idea?

Plus, would I be able to fit the crossover in the door somewhere?

Or would I be better going for crossover under the dash and tweeter on the dash (traditional position)?

Whaddyareckon?

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
Re: Where to put a tweeter
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 10:13:54 PM »
I remember Honda offering tweeters in the options list.

I think they were mounted on the dash in the corners.

You could try asking a Honda dealer if they could get them for you.

guest1272

• Topic Starter
Re: Where to put a tweeter
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 02:19:00 PM »
I remember Honda offering tweeters in the options list.

I think they were mounted on the dash in the corners.

You could try asking a Honda dealer if they could get them for you.

Yep, that was an option with the car......£120 for tweeters alone :o

I'd rather buy a whole (improved) component set inc. xovers for less than that  ;)

...so, you reckon the dash? (I'm not sure how I'd get access to those areas without dismantling most of it  ???)

Tags: