Author Topic: Pre-heat  (Read 7759 times)

pintofale

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 1.4 EX
Pre-heat
« on: December 30, 2020, 03:53:40 PM »
Hi there, anyone know if the new Jazz can be pre-heated, either via app or on a timer, like the Leaf?  This would be handy in winter and potentially a huge plus.
Similarly pre-cooling with air con in the summer in EVs like the Leaf is super handy.

Expatman

• Approved Member
Re: Pre-heat
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2020, 05:11:13 PM »
The Jazz is a hybrid powertrain and cannot either be pre-heated or pre-cooled. Heating is dependent on the ICE so needs to be started and run for some minutes before cabin heating is available - heated seats and heated rear screen standard on many models to mitigate the warm up time of the ICE. You can always start the car then retire inside for a few minutes while it warms up - only do this if you have secure off street parking of course!

TiJazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar eHEV
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2020, 07:07:37 PM »
Yeah - the battery isn’t big enough to pre heat the car. It’s also a traditional heater not a heat pump, so needs the heat from the ICE.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2020, 11:33:17 AM »
You can always start the car then retire inside for a few minutes while it warms up - only do this if you have secure off street parking of course!
Then you emerge a few minutes later to discover that the engine is off because the battery is fully charged! Or maybe it will keep running because the cabin is cold? The heated seats help the warm-up and also add a bit of load to the electrics. While I would have preferred to have the A/C running as a heat pump, one simple measure would have been to put an electric heating element in the air vent at the bottom of the windscreen so there would be an instant supply of hot air for demisting / defrosting. I'm somewhat disappointed that Honda didn't give more thought to efficient winter operation. Fortunately, my winter mileage is a small part of the annual total.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2020, 12:23:03 PM »
You can always start the car then retire inside for a few minutes while it warms up - only do this if you have secure off street parking of course!
[ While I would have preferred to have the A/C running as a heat pump, one simple measure would have been to put an electric heating element in the air vent at the bottom of the windscreen so there would be an instant supply of hot air for demisting / defrosting. I'm somewhat disappointed that Honda didn't give more thought to efficient winter operation. Fortunately, my winter mileage is a small part of the annual total.
The simplest solution would have been a heated windscreen, that way it deals with both frost and condensation easily.

JazzMusic

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz e:HEV Exec
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2020, 06:53:20 PM »
Some used a 'hotfrog' engine heater in the past. Not sure if possible in the Jazz.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2021, 10:52:30 PM »
Yes, a pre-heater can be installed.

https://www.defa.com/electrical-preheating/engine-heaters/find-engine-heater/
http://old.defa.com/vfp/eh/412232.pdf

This is an electric heater, used to warm the coolant inside the engine block, so the whole engine. The car must be plugged to the 220v grid, then a timer or an app controlled switch will power the heater.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 11:14:21 PM by jazzaro »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2021, 09:28:14 AM »
Yes, a pre-heater can be installed.

https://www.defa.com/electrical-preheating/engine-heaters/find-engine-heater/
http://old.defa.com/vfp/eh/412232.pdf

This is an electric heater, used to warm the coolant inside the engine block, so the whole engine. The car must be plugged to the 220v grid, then a timer or an app controlled switch will power the heater.

I was toying with the idea of fitting one of these Defa block heaters a few years ago, but the cost put me off a bit. At the time, I had a big MPV, and it took an age to warm up in winter, clobbering the fuel economy on the short school runs.

As usual, the Chinese are now churning out universal units that can be plumbed in for a fraction of the price. They look like a rip-off of the Kenlowe Hotstart idea.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220V-240V-3000W-Car-Engine-Heater-Coolant-Heating-Air-Parking-Pre-Heater-1pcs/363222865403

You can get them much cheaper on Aliexpress.

JazzMusic

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2021, 10:24:07 AM »
To be realistic, those engine block heaters have been invented to even have chance to start an engine after an arctic cold night like -20 or -30 degrees C.
During our winters, it's not necessary. If the car is stored in a comfty garage with 0-10 degrees C it won't save tons of fuel either.
And most owner who fitted a hot 'Kermit' gave up after a while fidling with the 220V cable.

One additional note: the engine heats itself and the battery pack up. If the engine is already warm, does it warm up the battery pack? I guess no. This could be contraproductive.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 10:26:10 AM by JazzMusic »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2021, 11:34:41 AM »
To be realistic, those engine block heaters have been invented to even have chance to start an engine after an arctic cold night like -20 or -30 degrees C.
During our winters, it's not necessary. If the car is stored in a comfty garage with 0-10 degrees C it won't save tons of fuel either.

That's true, but I would have fitted one for convenience and comfort, more than anything.

On our old Ford Galaxy, I would have certainly appreciated the faster cabin heating and demisting. On cold winter days, you would only start to get warm air after several miles, and the interior of the car would still be cold. All the diesel versions of the car actually had a Webasto coolant heater fitted as standard, as the engine didn't produce enough heat to get itself up to operating temperature in cold weather.

Fuel economy was down from 30mpg to 20mpg when doing these runs exclusively, I was seriously considering fitting one when petrol was approaching £1.40 a litre in the UK. In 30-odd years of driving, I've never once put a car in a garage.

However, the Jazz HEV is a very different vehicle, and it may not make any appreciable difference to the fuel economy. As for warming the battery, I would have thought a pre-heater would help with that as soon as the system started up.

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2021, 11:51:08 AM »
Here, where the block heaters are more or less standard equipment on every car, it is commonly stated, that there is economical sense to pre-heat if temperature is below approximately +5 C. However, block heater can be combined with an interior heater for comfortability.

JazzMusic

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2021, 01:14:23 PM »
I might got lazy over the years but the only device I'd mount would be a programmable parking heater, with a smartphone connectivity. It will consume more fuel but you can switch it on any time you like, having a warm engine and a warm interior. But I can't justify it for only 1-2 months below 0 degrees C.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2021, 01:40:40 PM »
My car is garaged every night, and the garages are below flats, so only the door is subject to the elements. No matter how cold it is here, my blue light goes out, and the heater is ready to use, after 1.2 miles.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2021, 02:38:09 PM »
The little Jazz soon warms up, and does a few more mpg than the thing I was running.

My idea was to put a dedicated socket under the carport, with a timer set to come on for an hour or so before departing... and try not to forget it's plugged in  ;)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2021, 03:02:27 PM »
My Civic is garaged and I run a descicant dehumidifier to keep the garage at about 70% max humidity. Nice not to have to defrost the glass.
Let's be careful out there !

Tags: