Author Topic: Pre-heat  (Read 7638 times)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Pre-heat
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2021, 12:01:44 PM »
Just been chatting to a friend who has a Prius, sounds the same. Never fully warms up in the cold as the engine cuts out.

Even with a full battery, if you select heat first thing the engine does fire up to get it going.

He reckons short journeys, forget all about the heater.
Let's be careful out there !

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2021, 01:00:12 PM »
I once had a job that involved an occasional trip in a Beech King Air (small turbo-prop). The shirt-sleeved pilot would look at his 6 or 7 passengers bundled up in coats and scarves on a cold morning, and remark that we should take note of what the pilot was wearing. Sure enough, it got very warm soon after engine start!
Absolutely agree - but please could any current Crosstar owners let us know if the engine keeps running to heat the cabin from cold or not. Basically does the engine keep running until the set temperature is reached then maintain that temperature (climate control).
Living in North Yorkshire I have fears of being stuck in some snowdrift on the moors and the engine deciding not to run because the battery is fully charged so I freeze gently!!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2021, 01:11:32 PM »
The older readers will remember the days when cars did not have heaters - hence the car rug for passengers, and warm driving gloves.
A heater used to be an optional extra on a new car. And the heaters were all recirculating so no fresh air like now.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2021, 02:17:47 PM »
Just been chatting to a friend who has a Prius, sounds the same. Never fully warms up in the cold as the engine cuts out.

Even with a full battery, if you select heat first thing the engine does fire up to get it going.

He reckons short journeys, forget all about the heater.

Don't know about the Prius but my 2016 hybrid Rav4 warms up more quickly than any car I can remember and it stays warm. After having this thing for over three years, I pay no attention to whether the engine is running or not, or the charge state of the battery. It just works. Does it's thing and I do mine. No complaints at all.

TiJazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar eHEV
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2021, 02:18:48 PM »
The ICE is almost constantly running when using climate control in winter IME. I haven’t done a whole lot of miles though, 300 or so.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2021, 03:46:52 PM »
Absolutely agree - but please could any current Crosstar owners let us know if the engine keeps running to heat the cabin from cold or not. Basically does the engine keep running until the set temperature is reached then maintain that temperature (climate control).
Living in North Yorkshire I have fears of being stuck in some snowdrift on the moors and the engine deciding not to run because the battery is fully charged so I freeze gently!!
It won't let you freeze. My complaint is that the absence of an undertray and mechanism to limit the airflow through the front (less of an issue if you're stuck unless there's also a gale blowing) means that the engine itself is subject to more cooling than necessary. In addition, the Crosstar has heated front seats which will provide some electrical power drain and thus give the engine more reason for running. However, carry a blanket for the rear seat passengers.

A heater used to be an optional extra on a new car. And the heaters were all recirculating so no fresh air like now.
As was the case with my Austin A35 and when the heater started to drip coolant I disconnected it and tolerated the cold.

I fondly remember my Maestro because it was able to blow warm air on windscreen and feet while blowing fresh air towards my face. I haven't come across a newer vehicle with that versatility.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2021, 04:39:01 PM »
I fondly remember my Maestro because it was able to blow warm air on windscreen and feet while blowing fresh air towards my face. I haven't come across a newer vehicle with that versatility.

You've just reminded me that my Montego did have its good points, after all  ;)

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2021, 04:44:00 PM »
[/quote]

Grabbing at straws there, finding praise for the Maestro and Montego!!!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 04:47:24 PM by Expatman »

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2021, 05:01:00 PM »
My first car was a 1963 Renault 4L which I remember having rather an effective heater.  It was turned on using a tap near the driver's left knee which allowed hot water into a heat exchanger near the floor.  There was a horizontally hinged flap under the front windscreen which could be opened so that fresh air over the bonnet was driven into the system.  The car was a bit like the Jazz in that it had front wheel drive, five doors and a fold-flat rear bench seat, giving a good load space, which is why I bought it in 1965. Only a three-speed gearbox and 6 volt electrics though!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 05:30:04 PM by Downsizer »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2021, 05:40:22 PM »
My first car was a 1963 Renault 4L

I preferred the 1970s version with the grab handles on the front bumper, in case you ran someone over.

Just for you

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/renault-unveils-retro-4l-based-electric-convertible

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2021, 06:09:18 PM »
That looks like it should have pedals not an engine :)
Let's be careful out there !

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2021, 07:21:19 PM »
My first car was a 1963 Renault 4L which I remember having rather an effective heater.  It was turned on using a tap near the driver's left knee which allowed hot water into a heat exchanger near the floor.  There was a horizontally hinged flap under the front windscreen which could be opened so that fresh air over the bonnet was driven into the system.  The car was a bit like the Jazz in that it had front wheel drive, five doors and a fold-flat rear bench seat, giving a good load space, which is why I bought it in 1965. Only a three-speed gearbox and 6 volt electrics though!

My first car was 1974 Renault 4, with all the same handy features, except four-speed gearbox and 12 V electrics. The wee engine had great low rpm torque. Ant is was amazingly good off road thanks to minimal overhang and decent ground clearance. I once beat Toyota Land Cruiser on a gravel pit. LC's rear bumper hit the ground when trying to go steep uphill. R4 went like no problem.

Actually, I still have it.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 07:41:46 PM by TnTkr »

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2021, 08:16:36 PM »
My first car was 1974 Renault 4, with all the same handy features, except four-speed gearbox and 12 V electrics. The wee engine had great low rpm torque. Ant is was amazingly good off road thanks to minimal overhang and decent ground clearance. I once beat Toyota Land Cruiser on a gravel pit. LC's rear bumper hit the ground when trying to go steep uphill. R4 went like no problem.

Actually, I still have it.
Lucky you - look after it!  Re the ground clearance, I panicked when I first washed the 4L and noticed that the wheelbase was longer on one side than the other.  The dealer assured me it was intentional to allow the two full width rear torsion bars to be mounted one behind the other.  French creativity!

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2021, 09:17:41 PM »
There is plenty of French creativity in the engineering of that car! For example have a look at the engine bay and how the gear selector rod goes over the engine and cooler to operate a stick coming out of the gearbox!

When it was still my daily driver, one man came to tell me his memories of R4. He and his wife were going to a holiday and let a garage make an oil change right before the trip. After about 200 km the gearbox broke. I'm sure by now you guess what happened. Poor mechanic drained first plug from front, which happens to be the gearbox. And serviced the engine with new oil on top of the old.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 09:21:53 PM by TnTkr »

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2021, 12:02:33 PM »
Renault 4. What an amazing car they were. Lucky enough to have had a drive in the 1100cc last of the line version many years ago. Such good cars.  :D

Tags:

anything