Author Topic: cvt comparison version 2 and 3  (Read 266 times)

ivan

• My Honda: Jazz 2020
cvt comparison version 2 and 3
« on: November 22, 2020, 10:17:09 AM »
I recently traded my 2012 Jazz for a 2020 ver 3.  but am disappointed with the way the cvt responds..  Do I have a problem ?  If I am cruising along at 70mph at 2300rpm and ease my foot down for a small up slope.. the revs increase to 3000 or even 4000rpm..  If I have cruse control on,  and a small incline happens,  the revs shoot straight up to 5200rpm and the wife says.. what are you doing?..  Is it possible to get Honda to back off the cvt so I can say use 25% throttle without revs jumping up.. or did I just get spoiled by my version 2 ?

trebor1652

• Approved Member
Re: cvt comparison version 2 and 3
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 11:55:08 AM »
Yes it's annoying.
I have started to turn the traction control off and this does help.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

equaliser

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2018 Honda Jazz 1.3 I-VTEC EX Navi CVT
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 11:55:22 AM »
Hi and Welcome!
No, you don't have a problem, it is a characteristic of the engine which runs in Atkinson cycle below 3000rpm to save fuel but has less torque than the previous engine at these lower rpms. Once above 3000rpm it switches to the Otto cycle and develops full power and torque. If your engine has very low mileage the effect of the Atkinson cycle is more pronounced, it definitely improves with more miles.

I've improved the behaviour by using higher octane petrol (98 RON), using this the engine will pull much better at lower rpm. Hills around me normally require the engine running at 3000rpm but with the higher octane petrol it can take the same hills at 2000rpm. Not everyone will agree but it works for me.

Happyarry

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX Navi i-vtec CVT
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 02:24:20 PM »
Haven't tried putting my foot down at 70mph but I do know at lower speeds the paddle shift just drops it a "gear" giving a seamless boost and without the raucous sound you can get by overworking the right foot. Nice for overtaking or joining traffic.

Harry

trebor1652

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 03:08:42 PM »
Yes it's annoying.
I have started to turn the traction control off and this does help.

The other thing to do is to click it into S mode before you enter the incline and the car will climb much better.

ivan

• Topic Starter
  • My Honda: Jazz 2020
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2020, 05:49:30 PM »
It is not that I haven't driven a JAZZ cvt for 8 years already..  it is just that I feel it should not gear down till at least 25% throttle opening..  The paddle momentarily shifts it higher but immediately slides back to 3000rpm on a slight upgrade.. even though I have a light pressure on the throttle..  It only has 4000m on the clock.. maybe it will improve..

equaliser

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2018 Honda Jazz 1.3 I-VTEC EX Navi CVT
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2020, 06:25:13 PM »
It is not that I haven't driven a JAZZ cvt for 8 years already..  it is just that I feel it should not gear down till at least 25% throttle opening..  The paddle momentarily shifts it higher but immediately slides back to 3000rpm on a slight upgrade.. even though I have a light pressure on the throttle..  It only has 4000m on the clock.. maybe it will improve..

It will definitely improve with mileage and you'll also learn to adjust to its characteristics over time, I know I did and it doesn't bother me any more.

Tags: