Author Topic: FUEL  (Read 610 times)

equaliser

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2018 Honda Jazz 1.3 I-VTEC EX Navi CVT
Re: FUEL
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2020, 05:46:41 PM »
I occasionally put premium (Shell VPower usually) in the tank. Maybe every 5 or 6 fill ups. I do it for the alleged cleaning properties, figuring it will help keep the engine internals a little cleaner.

I've not noticed any apparent performance or MPG change. If the engine is not tuned to make use of higher RON fuel and tighter timings (which I don't believe it is), then there's no way you will gain any extra performance?

I'm sure you're right about the earlier Jazz engines but the MK3 with it's high compression and knock sensors certainly does alter the tune for higher octane, you can see it clearly advancing the ignition further compared to 95RON if you monitor the timings like I do with the ODBII Car Scanner app. As for alleged cleaning abilities, that remains to be seen but it can't hurt!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2006 GD5 Jazz 1.2 i-DSi S in Vivid Blue Pearl
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2020, 05:58:50 PM »
The Mk 1 does too. ScanGauge shows that. But the improvement doesn't justify the cost as far as I an concerned.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2020 Honda Jazz 1.3 EX Navi CVT Shining Grey
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2020, 10:53:25 AM »
I occasionally put premium (Shell VPower usually) in the tank. Maybe every 5 or 6 fill ups. I do it for the alleged cleaning properties, figuring it will help keep the engine internals a little cleaner.

I've not noticed any apparent performance or MPG change. If the engine is not tuned to make use of higher RON fuel and tighter timings (which I don't believe it is), then there's no way you will gain any extra performance?

I'm sure you're right about the earlier Jazz engines but the MK3 with it's high compression and knock sensors certainly does alter the tune for higher octane, you can see it clearly advancing the ignition further compared to 95RON if you monitor the timings like I do with the ODBII Car Scanner app. As for alleged cleaning abilities, that remains to be seen but it can't hurt!

Really interesting. I've been looking for proof, one way or the other, for some time. My low mileage means I fill up less than once a month and, frequently, when the tank is nowhere near empty if there is an offer going on. The extra cost is insignificant if you don't do many miles. I'd think differently if I was still doing 10,000 miles a year but I've only done 2100 since January.

On premium fuels, John Cadogan did a You Tube video about Toyota and other hybrids needing premium fuel. In Australia the bog standard fuel is 91 and 95 is seen as premium so I'm sure using our 95 petrol won't do any harm.

equaliser

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2018 Honda Jazz 1.3 I-VTEC EX Navi CVT
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2020, 03:45:53 PM »
Really interesting. I've been looking for proof, one way or the other, for some time. My low mileage means I fill up less than once a month and, frequently, when the tank is nowhere near empty if there is an offer going on. The extra cost is insignificant if you don't do many miles. I'd think differently if I was still doing 10,000 miles a year but I've only done 2100 since January.

On premium fuels, John Cadogan did a You Tube video about Toyota and other hybrids needing premium fuel. In Australia the bog standard fuel is 91 and 95 is seen as premium so I'm sure using our 95 petrol won't do any harm.

Certainly nothing wrong with 95RON, as you say it's more premium than other countries. If I was you and not doing a lot of miles then I would use the higher RON petrol as it won't degrade as quickly as the the lower RON when left sitting in your tank, just a thought!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2006 GD5 Jazz 1.2 i-DSi S in Vivid Blue Pearl
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2020, 04:22:03 PM »
From Wiki.

Australia: "regular" unleaded fuel is 91 RON, "premium" unleaded with 95 RON is widely available, and 98 RON fuel is also reasonably common. Shell used to sell 100 RON fuel (5% ethanol content) from a small number of service stations, most of which are located in major cities (stopped in August 2008). United Petroleum used to sell 100 RON unleaded fuel (10% ethanol content) at a small number of its service stations (originally only two, but then expanded to 67 outlets nationwide) (stopped in September 2014). All fuel in Australia is unleaded except for some aviation fuels. E85 unleaded fuel is also available at several United service stations across the country. Recently E10 fuel has become quite common, and is available at almost every major fuel station, except in Western Australia. The Australian government makes stations advertise E10 as 94 RON.

Tags:

anything