Author Topic: Would You Buy Another Mk4  (Read 765 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2006 GD5 Jazz 1.2 i-DSi S in Vivid Blue Pearl
Re: Would You Buy Another Mk4
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2020, 01:07:33 PM »
Latest Jazz does not have a CVT or a DSG or any sort of gearbox at all. It has an electric drive motor intelligently wired to a generator alongside. For marketing reasons Honda call this eCVT. The engine connects to the driveshafts at higher speeds but the ratio is fixed, again no gearbox.
A fact well known here but not by motoring journalists. Welcome to the forum—plenty knowledgeable Jazz owners here with years of Jazz experience, many owners of the Mk 4.

Foksadure

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2020
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2020, 01:43:46 PM »
I think the drive is fantastic, and good flat handling and roadholding. My previous drive was an Audi S3, resulting in a dislocated liver on any road hump.

I like mine 99% so far.
I'm just bothered a tad by the dampening on bumpy streets at low speed, which is not as smooth as my previous ride. Kinda like the whole front axle is wobbling on first impact. Disturbing.
Maybe that's because of the EX 16" inches rims.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 01:47:46 PM by Foksadure »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • My Honda: 2013 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2020, 01:44:29 PM »
Interesting, so the old quirk of CVT over rev doesn't happen.
Let's be careful out there!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2006 GD5 Jazz 1.2 i-DSi S in Vivid Blue Pearl
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2020, 02:01:10 PM »
16-inch rims always make for a rougher ride, on some cars worse than others.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2020 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2020, 03:14:53 PM »
Interesting, so the old quirk of CVT over rev doesn't happen.
The engine will rev if you want a sustained supply of power for acceleration or hill climbing and once it's over around 3000 rpm then the engine becomes audible. However, I think a difference from the CVT behaviour is that the engine revs on the eCVT are more constant rather than varying as some  excess / shortfall of power can be accommodated by the battery. A constant engine noise is less obtrusive than one which keeps varying. However, engine noise is an infrequent feature on my journeys - most trips are completed without obvious engine noise although I can now detect the sound difference between car running only on battery and using the engine.

Foksadure

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2020
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2020, 03:25:51 PM »
16-inch rims always make for a rougher ride, on some cars worse than others.

Yup, the low profile tyres on the regular Jazz sure do not help. The Crosstar may be be more tolerant about this.

I can now detect the sound difference between car running only on battery and using the engine.

Except for the EV disappearing from the dashboard indicator, you can tell the engine is on by the little vibrations reaching the wheel. :)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 03:27:41 PM by Foksadure »

JazzMusic

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2020, 04:00:50 PM »
I'm just bothered a tad by the dampening on bumpy streets at low speed, which is not as smooth as my previous ride. Kinda like the whole front axle is wobbling on first impact. Disturbing.
We bought the Exec for its luxury features but stepped down on the summer allows to 15'' and Michelins. Now with 16'' with winter tyres the bumps are more noticable and I wish I've gone with 15'' in winter too. With 15'' the ride is quite comfortable.

hotweiss

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2020, 04:16:47 PM »
I think the drive is fantastic, and good flat handling and roadholding. My previous drive was an Audi S3, resulting in a dislocated liver on any road hump.

I like mine 99% so far.

That is why I went with the Crosstar. 3 cm of extra dampening. The regular Jazz is made for perfect Japanese roads.

Tags:

anything