Author Topic: Experiences of Covid-19  (Read 1009 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2006 GD5 Jazz 1.2 i-DSi S in Vivid Blue Pearl
Experiences of Covid-19
« on: September 13, 2020, 11:53:57 AM »
Now I know the last thread on Coronavirus was deleted so I implore you DO NOT MAKE THIS POLITICAL. I just feel that the greatest natural disaster in our lives deserves some discussion by intelligent adults.

Once again my mother-in-law's Care Home has had to go into lockdown due to a member of staff testing positive in their weekly checks. This happened a fortnight ago as well, but a subsequent test showed negative so restrictions were lifted. We were lucky to have visited Mum yesterday.
Lockdowns in Care Homes are not just for 14 days. They cannot reopen for visitors until 28 clear days have passed. Mum thinks we have deserted her after a week.

So once again, PLEASE, DO NOT MAKE THIS POLITICAL. I will be the first to ask Richard to delete the thread.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Experiences of Covid-19
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 12:16:51 PM »
Once again my mother-in-law's Care Home has had to go into lockdown due to a member of staff testing positive in their weekly checks. This happened a fortnight ago as well, but a subsequent test showed negative so restrictions were lifted. We were lucky to have visited Mum yesterday.

I'm pleased to hear it that you at least managed to squeeze a visit in Jocko, hope this one's a false alarm too.

Confirmed cases are cropping up in local schools now, that's my biggest concern at the moment.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Mk3 EX CVT, Red
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 01:41:33 PM »
Iím with you on this one Jocko.

My wife is in a care home which has once again gone into lockdown, the only contact I have is by videophone, which is OK for me, but with her having Alzheimerís, I donít think she understands what is going on.

Up till recently I could only meet her, by appointment, in the garden of the home, which was fine in good weather, but not so in the rain!

I fully understand the need for lockdown, but I just wish a better arrangement could be made for visiting.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2020, 02:08:51 PM »
We meet in an outdoor summer house thing but yesterday it was a bit chilly.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2020, 09:34:19 AM »
Went to do my laundry in our communal laundrette and some t0sser had stuck a used mask and glove in the drier. Masks and gloves are becoming the new plastic bags and Big Mac cartons, free to discard where you wish.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 12:01:33 AM »
Right on cue, message from lad's school, they have a confirmed case.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2020, 07:18:41 AM »
We received a phone call yesterday evening to say Mum's care home has a confirmed case (apparently with symptoms this time) and they have had to go into lockdown. So no visiting until 28 days with no positive tests recorded.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2020, 11:39:03 AM »
We received a phone call yesterday evening to say Mum's care home has a confirmed case (apparently with symptoms this time) and they have had to go into lockdown. So no visiting until 28 days with no positive tests recorded.

Is the case being removed to hospital, or at the very least barrier isolated? I hope everyone is okay.

For us, not much appears to be happening. All children are required to attend as normal, except 19 "prolonged close contacts". School are not even telling parents which year group bubble is involved (each circa 300 pupils), though I suspect that will be rumbled today, and even the (supposedly independent) parent's facebook page is removing any discussion. I suspect they have also switched to pre-moderation, as new threads have stopped appearing.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 11 Plate Jazz 1.4 Ex CVT
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2020, 03:38:10 PM »
Locally at least the social distancing rule is largely being ignored. If you are in a queue you can guarantee that someone will stand immediately behind you, well within the recommended 2metres. Nobody avoids anyone on the pavement anymore. This is people of all ages but I would suggest that the older people are the worst culprits unless it's school time. Then the pupils march down the pavement in line abreast like a bulldozer.

Vic.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2020, 05:47:14 PM »
Is the case being removed to hospital, or at the very least barrier isolated? I hope everyone is okay.
It is a staff member who has tested positive so they will be isolating at home unless they end up needing hospital care.
With regard to social distancing, I find most people are extremely good here in Fife. Even in a busy supermarket they queue 2 metres apart and don't crowd you at shelves.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2020, 07:27:31 PM »
It is a staff member who has tested positive so they will be isolating at home unless they end up needing hospital care.
With regard to social distancing, I find most people are extremely good here in Fife. Even in a busy supermarket they queue 2 metres apart and don't crowd you at shelves.

At least they are easier to remove from the setting. Fingers crossed they haven't passed it to anyone else.

Not too bad here with the masks & distancing, most people are taking appropriate care. Only the odd one you have to tell, and fortunately the other half isn't afraid to! School is a bit of a problem, few masks in evidence, and hundreds of children mixing in close proximity. About half are complying on buses, where masks are mandatory.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 07:30:08 PM by sparky Paul »

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2020, 09:28:40 AM »
Yesterday I passed the local Tesco Express, at lunchtime, and there was a group of about 100 high school pupils crowded outside, waiting to be allowed into the shop. No social distancing whatsoever.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2020, 09:37:15 AM »
Yesterday I passed the local Tesco Express, at lunchtime, and there was a group of about 100 high school pupils crowded outside, waiting to be allowed into the shop. No social distancing whatsoever.

The younger ones are confident that Covid will not affect them ( until it mutates ) so will happily carry on as normal,  but they do not seem to care if they pass it on to teachers or take it home to their parents,  they are a 'vector' for Covid just like  Mosquito for malaria and Tsetse fly for sleeping sickness.  Some flu does affect youngsters much more than older people and I hope us oldies can get our own back sometime....
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 09:42:52 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2020, 09:56:18 AM »

There's not a lot of social distancing being enforced in schools, so it's not surprising they don't give a toss.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2020, 03:55:26 PM »
We're not going to stand much chance of beating this virus whilst there are d1ckheads like this around:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-54205353

Tags: