Author Topic: Intake air cleaner noise  (Read 1241 times)

cornishpasty

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 ES 1.4iVTEC
Intake air cleaner noise
« on: August 28, 2020, 08:07:23 PM »
Greetings. 2012 1.4 (actually 1.3 and a bit hence the L13 engine code). I have noticed for a while that there is slight air intake noise under load. Checked the exhaust . No leaks. Checked everything around the air box. All the joints including the throttle body and MAF fine. Looked for a split in the airbox. Nothing. Went with this for about 12 months. Then I thought it may be the filter element, so bought another. Both were MANN filters. Less folds than OEM but deeper. The same. As a last resort bought an OEM filter from Cox. Problem has gone. Honda one has 24 pleats and is shallower, whilst the MANN one has 15 deeper ones. My advice is to stick to OEM. Maybe this will help others....

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
Re: Intake air cleaner noise
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 12:07:49 AM »
had the exact same problem in my Civic with a Crosland air filter from Euro Car Parts, made a real racket, took a while to figure it out as the car was new to me at the time, replaced with a genuine Honda filter, all fine.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2020, 01:44:48 PM »
Used a Bosch one: no problems

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2020, 03:40:53 PM »
I ran my Triumph 2.5 PI with no air cleaner. Just 6 x 2.5-inch inlets. Loved the induction roar. Even noisier than the exhaust.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2020, 07:02:34 PM »
I ran my Jazz without an air filter for about 250 miles as an experiment. There was no increase in induction noise but there was a small but noticeable improvement in performance, as for fuel consumption I have no idea because I didn't run the experiment for long enough but you can't expect improved fuel consumption if you have improved performance.
I put the standard filter back in because without it there is an open path to the engine for debris to get in.
The nearest thing to no filter that I can think of is a K&N filter with all the oil coating washed out, it would stop debris getting in.

Vic.

Tags:

anything