Author Topic: Speed awareness course  (Read 2645 times)

coffeecup

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 i vtec i-shift
Speed awareness course
« on: August 27, 2020, 03:50:47 PM »
Got caught doing 48 on a smart motorway with 40 limit as it was windy. No complaints i was wrong. However, as all courses are suspended and now online, i am told by the police that as i do not have a camera on my computer, or have zoom and the capability of doing an online course, i have to pay the fine and take the points!!!!

Surely this is unfair, not everyone is competent to do it live on line.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
Re: Speed awareness course
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2020, 04:04:30 PM »
I agree in principle, it should be all or nothing.  In your case, did you consider purchasing a camera.  Probably cheaper in the long run.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2020, 04:46:37 PM »
Can you ask someone with a camera on a pc or phone then complete the course?

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2020, 04:48:37 PM »
Here's a webcam for £20 https://www.mymemory.co.uk/full-hd-usb-plug-play-webcam-black.html which should work unless your computer is ancient (eg pre-Windows 7). £20 is less than the fine and you might find it useful once you've got it. Zoom or other online conferencing software is free but you may have to install something.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

coffeecup

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2020, 05:11:24 PM »
Well, here's another piece of info i dug up, apparently you are supposed to inform your insurance company if you have been on a course and in most cases this can put up your premiums by around 10%. They do not ask on the application form if you have taken a course, but if you do not tell them and you have a serious accident, it 'could' invalidate your insurance.

So, pay the fine and take 3 points (i have none) that puts up insurance around 12%

Can't win what ever you do.

Like you say i could do it online, but many would find it very difficult and stressful.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2020, 06:58:01 PM »
I did a speed awareness course and told my insurance company. Their reply was that since I had done the course they would not record it as an offence. When I changed companies at my last renewal they don't record the speeding offence either. As said if you don't tell them about the speeding offence they can use it as a reason to say that you have violated your insurance agreement by not disclosing information
Vic.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2020, 07:26:59 PM »
Download Zoom FREE>
Job done.

coffeecup

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2020, 08:40:50 PM »
I just could not sit in front of my computer 'live' on zoom with a camera for a 3 hour course, my anxiety and lack of skill to do this would cause me great stress. I have tried to explain this to the police, however they are not interested in the slightest.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2020, 10:10:08 PM »
The speeder awareness course is not a conviction. You do not need to disclose this to your insurers.

I must say that the speeder awareness course I attended earlier this year was very informative. I am much more attentive to the speed I am doing these days. I was accelerating out of a 30, and clocked at 35. Fair enough to be honest. First offence in 30 yrs. Happy to be on the course and not take the points.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 10:13:30 PM by Westy36 »

guest4871

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2020, 10:12:02 PM »
Many insurance companies ignore first offence speeding offences and three points on the licence.

Quite  a few people get speeding tickets in the same circumstances as you have.

It will not be the end of the world. Tell your insurance company (which you must), accept any premium adjustment on your current policy and seek new quotes on renewal.

It is not fair that you would have to attend an online course.

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2020, 09:21:19 AM »
I did a course about 5 years ago (35mph in 30 zone), I was glad not to get the points but the course was a waste of time (in my opinion), spent half of the time listening to people airing their grievances about how unfair it was they got caught etc.
My other half has had to do one online during lockdown, she seemed to quite enjoy it, I think it would depend who your course leader is, it was a bit of a faff to set up as we didn't use zoom, skype, FaceTime etc. before this, since then we've had interviews & doctors appointment online with my daughter even doing dancing classes online. It's just the way we have to do things for a while longer at least, whether we like it or not.
We didn't inform our respective insurers on either occasion as it is not a driving conviction.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2020, 10:33:53 AM »
I did a course about 5 years ago (35mph in 30 zone), I was glad not to get the points but the course was a waste of time (in my opinion), spent half of the time listening to people airing their grievances about how unfair it was they got caught etc.

I agree with your point about folk on the course. I struggled to understand the petulant behaviour of some on the course I attended. They had the choice to take the points, chose not to, and then behaved badly?  >:(

I was relieved to attend rather than be convicted! In my opinion the awareness course did just what it set out to do, made me more aware of my speed, and that can only be a good thing.

guest4871

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2020, 10:44:06 AM »
My other half has had to do one online during lockdown, she seemed to quite enjoy it, I think it would depend who your course leader is, it was a bit of a faff to set up as we didn't use zoom, skype, FaceTime etc. before this, since then we've had interviews & doctors appointment online with my daughter even doing dancing classes online. It's just the way we have to do things for a while longer at least, whether we like it or not.
We didn't inform our respective insurers on either occasion as it is not a driving conviction.

Sounds to me like you pleaded guilty to the offence and took a speed awareness course rather than a fine and three points - still a conviction...

https://www.gov.uk/speeding-penalties

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2020, 11:06:40 AM »
Yes it definitely counts as a conviction, otherwise they would have no record and you could carry on attending course after course ad infinitum.

I take it back.  It counts as a recorded offence not a criminal conviction.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 11:18:35 AM by ColinS »

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2020, 11:09:42 AM »
The speeder awareness course is not a conviction.

Neither is a fixed penalty!  Only a court can convict and fine you.

As far as I know, only Admiral (and the other brands in their group) take any notice of speed awareness courses.  You have to tell them at renewal.

Tags:

anything