Author Topic: Advice please re purchase of 2014 CVT 1.4 EX  (Read 1970 times)

JamtartJazzman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Honda Jazz XE Navi
Advice please re purchase of 2014 CVT 1.4 EX
« on: July 28, 2020, 06:18:49 PM »
Evening all

I currently drive a Civic ctdi (the one with the Isuzu engine) and am pretty happy with it. However, I need to switch to an auto and am considering a 2014 Jazz (Milano Red, I believe.)  So, I know the car will be reliable - it's a Honda - but looking for info from owners re ...

1.  Service interval.  The car has 17k miles and the last service looks to be some 3k miles ago.

2.  The red colour rather puts me off - does it fade?

3.  Any particular reliability issues e.g re switchgear - it seems to have a lot! (And where on earth is the switch for the sunroof blind.)

4.  Real world mpg.

Any other advice?

Many thanks.

Johncb500

• Approved Member
  • Honda owner since 1971,on 2 and 4 wheels
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz EX 2012-CB500/4 1974
Re: Advice please re purchase of 2014 CVT 1.4 EX
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 06:32:53 PM »
I have a mk2 CVT.

Economic. Between 46 to 56 depending on speed and traffic.

Switch gear seems reliable.

Sunroof switch above windscreen by interior lights

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

JamtartJazzman

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Honda Jazz XE Navi
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 07:40:40 PM »
Many thanks.  Any thoughts re private sale value? 14 reg 17k miles?

Johncb500

• Approved Member
  • Honda owner since 1971,on 2 and 4 wheels
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz EX 2012-CB500/4 1974
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 07:49:42 PM »
Low mileage.

Ask if the gearbox oil has been changed.

Should be a nice runner

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 10:03:41 PM »
Even solid colours are usually lacquered now, so don't fade like they used to. If it's a metallic, they're usually no problem.

Jazzmeister

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 11:14:18 AM »
With low mileage like that I can't see you having any issues barring just inspect and test the vehicle thoroughly before purchase.
Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT | Previous car - Mk II 2012 Honda Jazz 1.3 Cvt

equaliser

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2018 Honda Jazz 1.3 I-VTEC EX Navi CVT
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 11:32:15 AM »

I've had a lot of red cars in the past and none of them have faded (I kept them polished with AutoGlym Super Resin Polish once a year). Most red cars manufactured in the last 10 years will have a clear coat lacquer on top of the red paint so fading shouldn't ever be an issue. I've not seen a faded red car for quite a while.

Jazzmeister

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2020, 05:14:45 PM »

I've had a lot of red cars in the past and none of them have faded (I kept them polished with AutoGlym Super Resin Polish once a year). Most red cars manufactured in the last 10 years will have a clear coat lacquer on top of the red paint so fading shouldn't ever be an issue. I've not seen a faded red car for quite a while.
If its solid red it'll be near bombproof, if its metallic red then you need to watch the clear coat because that's the weak link and what eventually flakes off when it fails from UV damage.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2020, 06:19:29 PM »
Red paint fades more than other colours simply because red absorbs a lot of the higher energy light waves and this destroys the paint, even black is more resistant to sunlight than red.  If you want a cooler car get pearl orchid white, .. my wife's mk2 in pearl orchid white never really shows dirt and is always fairly cool to the touch even in strong sun, also white is one of the safer colours..

https://www.azsunblock.com/how-does-the-sun-damage-car-paint/
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 06:23:52 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest9236

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2020, 01:21:52 PM »
Red paint fades more than other colours simply because red absorbs a lot of the higher energy light waves and this destroys the paint, even black is more resistant to sunlight than red.  If you want a cooler car get pearl orchid white, .. my wife's mk2 in pearl orchid white never really shows dirt and is always fairly cool to the touch even in strong sun, also white is one of the safer colours..

Very interesting have always kept away from white but your comments are of interest wil keep in mind for our future purchase etc.

Jazzmeister

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2020, 06:56:14 PM »

But if it's solid red not mettalic it's easy  enough to just polish off the oxidised layer and the paint is like new again.

Jazzmeister

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2020, 06:56:58 PM »

Very interesting have always kept away from white but your comments are of interest wil keep in mind for our future purchase etc.
Solid white is probably the benchmark for cool (as in keep the vehicle cool) durable paint.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2020, 11:10:49 PM »

I can attest to the internal temperature difference with white cars. I currently have a large black estate, with black interior and black leather... and boy, does it get hot. I've never had a car that sucks in heat like it, the temperature inside gets unbelieveable if you can't park it in shade.

Only problem I have with black and white is that they both soon look mucky from the dirty lanes around us.

But if it's solid red not mettalic it's easy  enough to just polish off the oxidised layer and the paint is like new again.

Most solid colours are lacquered now, so you can't do that... but they don't fade the same either.

Jazzmeister

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2020, 11:37:45 PM »

I can attest to the internal temperature difference with white cars. I currently have a large black estate, with black interior and black leather... and boy, does it get hot. I've never had a car that sucks in heat like it, the temperature inside gets unbelieveable if you can't park it in shade.

Only problem I have with black and white is that they both soon look mucky from the dirty lanes around us.

Most solid colours are lacquered now, so you can't do that... but they don't fade the same either.
I've never heard of or seen solid colours being clear coated, it would make no sense.

Is it possible to please post a link to info confirming that solid colours on vehicles now get a clear coat on top?

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2020, 07:05:14 AM »
I've never heard of or seen solid colours being clear coated, it would make no sense.

Is it possible to please post a link to info confirming that solid colours on vehicles now get a clear coat on top?

They have been doing this for years, I had a Rover over 25 years ago that was lacquered over a flat blue.

It makes lots of sense. Far less expensive base colour is used, a single paint process for all colours, and the new water based paints do not give a hard wearing finish. The final finish is tougher than a solid paint, and the lacquer also gives UV protection, reducing fading.

Google it, there's plenty of info out there.

Tags:

anything