Author Topic: Hybrid 12v Battery Type?  (Read 620 times)

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Civic 5dr 1.5T Sport+
Re: Hybrid 12v Battery Type?
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2020, 12:02:14 PM »
It gets weirder ! ! !

So yesterday, I jump start the car again, leave it ticking over for 30 minutes, then blast it down the dual carriageway for 30 minutes. Last night it started first time, this morning it starts first time. The only thing different is we disconnected a usb lead that has been there for 2 years, but then the car hasn't been left for 3 weeks before, so the next query is, can a usb lead that's not connected to any devices, drain a 12v battery in 3 weeks?? Or drain it low enough not to start??

You need to externally re-charge your battery.

Idling the vehicle will actually just discharge your battery, not unless you put some load on the system, e.g. turning the headlamps on will it actually make any attempt to charge the battery, you can confirm this by actually monitoring the battery voltage while its running, it will stay around the 12.4v resting voltage rather than seeing around 14.5 volts.

Even driving a vehicle will not necessarily create a charge sufficient to last.

When a 12v battery gets into a discharge state it will take a burst of higher voltage (Often up to 16 volts) to break down any sulphation of battery, this is what the modern smart battery charger does, but the car itself cannot do this.

Ozzie

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
    • Osborns School of Motoring Ltd
  • My Honda: 2015 HS-T
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2020, 04:05:28 PM »
Thanks everyone, in the absence of any electrical testing equipment, I will chance it to jump leads and regular usage for now. I think I may have saved myself 90 meantime.

Thanks everyone.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2020, 04:07:41 PM »
I have done some further research on the Varta Battery website and it seems upgrading to AGM/EFB does it no harm, so I may still go down that avenue if its a non-starter tomorrow.

Thanks for the comments.

I have had a couple of Varta batteries on motorbikes in the past and they did not last long ---- will not be buying another one anytime soon.. never had a problem with Yuasa.

The OE battery on my Jazz is made by Varta. It is now 8 years and several months old and doing well.

Son's Yaris had a Varta battery from new. That died at eight years old this month...

The OE battery on our 2003 Yaris was Yuasa and lasted 11 years..

Ozzie

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
    • Osborns School of Motoring Ltd
  • My Honda: 2015 HS-T
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2020, 03:42:39 PM »
Thanks everyone, in the absence of any electrical testing equipment, I will chance it to jump leads and regular usage for now. I think I may have saved myself 90 meantime.

Thanks everyone.
Well that didn't last long !

The battery was drained again and struggled to turn the engine, so I have had it replaced, and fingers crossed that's it !

Tags: