Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 24606 times)

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #1050 on: June 27, 2020, 10:53:48 AM »
On the Bournemouth Beach thing, why, even in normal times, would you want to be in such a congested area for fun? If I'd gone down there, I would have come straight back home. I genuinely don't understand some people.

The scene at Camber Sands. I heard the Police eventually closed the road:

https://www.ryeandbattleobserver.co.uk/news/transport/sun-seekers-urged-avoid-camber-sands-after-thousands-cars-left-gridlock-hours-2894650

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #1051 on: June 27, 2020, 12:20:08 PM »
Mixed Messages again.

"On Friday Boris Johnson criticised beachgoers in Bournemouth and elsewhere for “taking too many liberties”, and said “it is crucial that people understand that on 4 July we get this right, we do this in a balanced way”. Earlier in the week, Johnson urged people to get out and “enjoy themselves” on 4 July, claiming that “the bustle is starting to come back”.

Police chiefs have cancelled leave and reinforced public order units amid nervousness over the prospects of disorder when lockdown officially lifts on 4 July – but with some restrictions remaining in place."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/26/hardline-policing-may-provoke-civil-unrest-post-lockdown-government-warned

Sh1t hitting fan time?
[/b]

Nope.
Just another U turn.. like quarantining air passengers for 14 days..

"Act first, think afterwards " is  - or so it appears...the motto of this Government

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #1052 on: June 27, 2020, 12:32:30 PM »
Mixed Messages again.

"On Friday Boris Johnson criticised beachgoers in Bournemouth and elsewhere for “taking too many liberties”, and said “it is crucial that people understand that on 4 July we get this right, we do this in a balanced way”. Earlier in the week, Johnson urged people to get out and “enjoy themselves” on 4 July, claiming that “the bustle is starting to come back”.

Police chiefs have cancelled leave and reinforced public order units amid nervousness over the prospects of disorder when lockdown officially lifts on 4 July – but with some restrictions remaining in place."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/26/hardline-policing-may-provoke-civil-unrest-post-lockdown-government-warned

Sh1t hitting fan time?
[/b]

Nope.
Just another U turn.. like quarantining air passengers for 14 days..

"Act first, think afterwards " is  - or so it appears...the motto of this Government

I think even Mr. Johnson will find this very hard to reverse. The genie is out of the bottle and it's going to be hard to persuade it back in.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 12:41:16 PM by JimSh »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #1053 on: June 27, 2020, 12:59:14 PM »
I think even Mr. Johnson will find this very hard to reverse.

I would guess impossible, without significant civil disorder.

I still can't get my head around taking the lid off this on a Saturday night. Why not Monday, at least give folks a few days to get used to the idea? News will be interesting viewing on Saturday night. Nor can I see how they hope to make this work with social distancing. As Jocko said earlier, if people can't be trusted to behave responsibly on a beach, what's going to happen once they have a few sherbets in them?

If it were up to me, beaches would be open to locals only - it has to be a public health issue when there are no facilities open. Amongst the vast amount of litter left on the beaches during the scenes earlier in the week, people clearing up the mess were finding fast food cartons containing... well guess what?  :-X

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #1054 on: June 27, 2020, 01:08:22 PM »
Talking to my brother a while ago and he mentioned he had seen people walking in the fields by them that he had never seen before, and local beauty spots absolutely deluged with visitors,  the amount of litter people are leaving behind is staggering - so much for environmental awareness.  He said many of the people visiting these areas and walking had probably never walked further than front door to car before lockdown and their knowledge of the countryside code ( and civilised behaviour ) was zero... Just shows that when you give people too much free time they get up to mischief 'the devil finds work for idle hands'...

Looking at the beaches yesterday and wondering if the toilets were open, I guess the sea will be a bit saltier than normal for a while,  maybe with unidentified brown floaters washing up on the beach. I noticed some people were not swimming, maybe just going through the motions........
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 01:10:07 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 11 Plate Jazz 1.4 EX CVT
« Reply #1055 on: June 27, 2020, 01:59:34 PM »
Looking at the beaches yesterday and wondering if the toilets were open, I guess the sea will be a bit saltier than normal for a while,  maybe with unidentified brown floaters washing up on the beach. I noticed some people were not swimming, maybe just going through the motions........

Like the bad old days. I was borne in Brighton many years ago and used the beach a lot,  a lot of the sewage discharged, untreated, straight into the sea some way off the shore. Brown 'jobbies' etc were quite common if you swam out a way.

Vic.

madasafish

• Approved Member
« Reply #1056 on: June 27, 2020, 02:51:05 PM »
"UK is 'on track to suffer 30,000 MORE Covid deaths' because fatality rates have plateaued and lockdown has been lifted too early, alternative SAGE group warns"

https://tinyurl.com/yaapzxyw

An interesting test of their credibility...

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2006 GD5 Jazz 1.2 i-DSi S in Vivid Blue Pearl
« Reply #1057 on: June 27, 2020, 03:02:44 PM »
If it were up to me, beaches would be open to locals only - it has to be a public health issue when there are no facilities open.
In Scotland we can only travel 5 miles for exercise, so it is locals only. Mind you, Portobello beach is within 5 miles of most of Edinburgh!

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1058 on: June 27, 2020, 03:17:55 PM »
At least, from the 6th of July, all the yobs will be heading off to Ibiza and the like!

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #1059 on: June 27, 2020, 04:08:03 PM »
At least, from the 6th of July, all the yobs will be heading off to Ibiza and the like!

...after they have all had a good 'mingle' in the pubs the weekend before they go.

Good luck Spain.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 04:09:56 PM by sparky Paul »

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Blue HR-V SE CVT
« Reply #1060 on: June 27, 2020, 09:08:47 PM »
Given Nicola's pronouncement that Scotland is nearly free of the virus I presume that border controls and two weeks quarantine will be introduced for anyone travelling in from the south to ensure that tourists (or Scots who have been south of the border for some reason) do not reintroduce the virus.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1061 on: June 27, 2020, 11:21:01 PM »
Hope so.  :D

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #1062 on: June 29, 2020, 02:13:38 PM »
Given Nicola's pronouncement that Scotland is nearly free of the virus I presume that border controls and two weeks quarantine will be introduced for anyone travelling in from the south to ensure that tourists (or Scots who have been south of the border for some reason) do not reintroduce the virus.
Unfortunately that is not within her remit.

"Scotland records fourth day with no coronavirus deaths.

During BBC Scotland’s Politics Scotland programme on Sunday Prof Devi Sridhar, a public health expert at Edinburgh university, and one of Sturgeon’s advisers, said Scotland was on track now to eliminate the virus by the end of the summer. Sridhar went on:

But we are going to see little bumps, so it’s a question of how small can you keep those bumps

July is a crucial month for people to follow the rules and guidance, and be sensible because the virus is still around and can still increase quite fast within days and weeks."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2020/jun/29/uk-politics-live-boris-johnson-interview-mark-sedwill-civil-servant-coronavirus-covid-19-latest-updates-please?page=with:block-5ef9d5b78f08d1a09fd4f14d#block-5ef9d5b78f08d1a09fd4f14d

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1063 on: June 29, 2020, 06:02:03 PM »
Unfortunately, that is not within her remit.
Not according to what she said this lunchtime. Public health is a devolved issue, and as such, she can introduce measures such as quarantine for visitors to Scotland. She does not feel it is necessary at the moment.

madasafish

• Approved Member
« Reply #1064 on: June 29, 2020, 06:42:14 PM »
She would have to quarantine Scottish MPs..

Tags:

anything