Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 24615 times)

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 06:50:52 PM by JimSh »

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2006 GD5 Jazz 1.2 i-DSi S in Vivid Blue Pearl
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #1036 on: June 23, 2020, 05:56:14 PM »
So that's it all over then. Great stuff. I was on Amazon and Mitigations are "Currently unavailable".

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #1037 on: June 24, 2020, 03:05:19 PM »
Head in the sand?

Health leaders urge review of UK's readiness for Covid-19 second wave.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/jun/24/health-leaders-urge-review-of-uks-readiness-for-covid-19-second-wave

No 10 refuses to accept call from medical leaders for review of UK readiness for Covid-19 second wave

"No 10 is refusing to accept the call from Britain’s medical leaders for a review into how prepared the country is for a second wave of coronavirus. (See 11.40am.) Asked about the letter from them in the BMJ, the prime minister’s spokesman said that the government had taken “unprecedented action” to support the NHS."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2020/jun/24/uk-coronavirus-live-health-risk-second-wave-lockdown-eases-pmqs-covid-19-latest-updates?page=with:block-5ef3496d8f08eb628b55cd1b#block-5ef3496d8f08eb628b55cd1b 

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1038 on: June 24, 2020, 04:52:40 PM »
A couple of Covid links to bring a smile to your face.

ADULT LANGUAGE THROUGHOUT.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1039 on: June 24, 2020, 07:30:11 PM »
Bournemouth beach this evening. Social distancing at it's best. And this is at 2 metres!

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Blue HR-V SE CVT
« Reply #1040 on: June 24, 2020, 10:15:44 PM »
Bournemouth beach this evening. Social distancing at it's best. And this is at 2 metres!
Plenty of sunshine and fresh air, neither of which the virus likes. Those people are at lower risk than people four metres apart in an air-conditioned building.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #1041 on: June 24, 2020, 11:19:46 PM »
According to the Telegraph, schools are to scrap social distancing so they can reopen fully in September.

Stock up on bog rolls.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1042 on: June 25, 2020, 09:06:00 AM »
Plenty of sunshine and fresh air, neither of which the virus likes. Those people are at lower risk than people four metres apart in an air-conditioned building.
Agreed. But do you think they are going to act any different in a pub with a few pints inside them?
And don't say the publican will police it. They just want to sell a drink. They will sell it to 14-year-olds, people who are so inebriated they can barely ask for their tipple, and anyone else who asks.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2020 Honda Jazz 1.3 EX Navi CVT Shining Grey
« Reply #1043 on: June 25, 2020, 10:44:57 AM »
On the Bournemouth Beach thing, why, even in normal times, would you want to be in such a congested area for fun? If I'd gone down there, I would have come straight back home. I genuinely don't understand some people.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Blue HR-V SE CVT
« Reply #1044 on: June 25, 2020, 03:49:29 PM »
Agreed. But do you think they are going to act any different in a pub with a few pints inside them?
And don't say the publican will police it. They just want to sell a drink. They will sell it to 14-year-olds, people who are so inebriated they can barely ask for their tipple, and anyone else who asks.
I completely agree that a pub (particularly if air-conditioned and not using fresh air for ventilation) is going to be a much more effective virus-spreading environment than an open beach, even if the density of people is the same at both. I suspect that the virus spreading which happened at the pre-lockdown events such as Cheltenham Races occurred when people were indoor getting food and drink.

I'm of the view that there's going to be a big problem in the autumn if a vaccine isn't ready and the only way to mitigate this is for the high risk people to continue being very cautious while the low risk people spread the virus among themselves and build up some level of immunity.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #1045 on: June 25, 2020, 05:19:48 PM »
I'm of the view that there's going to be a big problem in the autumn if a vaccine isn't ready and the only way to mitigate this is for the high risk people to continue being very cautious while the low risk people spread the virus among themselves and build up some level of immunity.

If the virus does does rear up again, I doubt it will be for a few months anyway, just as folk are developing a sense of security.

It has been confirmed that the virus was loose in both France and Italy in December - it took a few months of bubbling under before it really took hold. I can see us back in that position now if, as the ONS suggests, less than 10% of the population has had the virus.

An effective vaccine would be a wonderful thing to have right now, but it's still a long shot, despite all the positive news.

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #1046 on: June 26, 2020, 09:47:05 AM »
On the Bournemouth Beach thing, why, even in normal times, would you want to be in such a congested area for fun? If I'd gone down there, I would have come straight back home. I genuinely don't understand some people.

If they behave like that just now what will they be like next weekend with a drink inside them.

"Matt Hancock, the health secretary, said on TalkRadio that he had the power to close the beaches if people did not respect social-distancing rules.

He said he was “reluctant” to go down that route as “people have had a pretty tough lockdown”. But he added that if there was a spike in the number of coronavirus cases “then we will take action”."

Too late then Mr Hancock.

"The chief medical officer for England, Prof Chris Whitty, urged people to follow physical distancing rules in the hot weather or risk causing a spike in coronavirus.

He wrote on Twitter: “If we do not follow social distancing guidance then cases will rise again. Naturally people will want to enjoy the sun but we need to do so in a way that is safe for all.”"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/25/major-incident-declared-as-people-flock-to-england-south-coast

I'm with Mr Whitty.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53185386

Just been watching on BBC rolling news the contrast with opening up of Brittany Beaches where everything was organised in advance.

Last edit. Added last comment
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 11:57:53 AM by JimSh »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #1047 on: June 26, 2020, 06:50:36 PM »
If they behave like that just now what will they be like next weekend with a drink inside them.

"Matt Hancock, the health secretary, said on TalkRadio that he had the power to close the beaches if people did not respect social-distancing rules.

He said he was “reluctant” to go down that route as “people have had a pretty tough lockdown”. But he added that if there was a spike in the number of coronavirus cases “then we will take action”."

Too late then Mr Hancock.

I'd like to see them try to police that. It's going to be impossible.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 09:33:33 AM by sparky Paul »

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #1048 on: June 26, 2020, 08:22:36 PM »
What I would do is set up a traffic stop on each of the main roads out of town of an evening, and check drivers and documents. By the time the queues clear it will be early morning. Bet they won't be back next sunny day!

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #1049 on: June 27, 2020, 09:52:07 AM »
Mixed Messages again.

"On Friday Boris Johnson criticised beachgoers in Bournemouth and elsewhere for “taking too many liberties”, and said “it is crucial that people understand that on 4 July we get this right, we do this in a balanced way”. Earlier in the week, Johnson urged people to get out and “enjoy themselves” on 4 July, claiming that “the bustle is starting to come back”.

Police chiefs have cancelled leave and reinforced public order units amid nervousness over the prospects of disorder when lockdown officially lifts on 4 July – but with some restrictions remaining in place."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/26/hardline-policing-may-provoke-civil-unrest-post-lockdown-government-warned

Sh1t hitting fan time?

Tags: