Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 24619 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2006 GD5 Jazz 1.2 i-DSi S in Vivid Blue Pearl
Coronavirus
« on: March 04, 2020, 03:36:10 PM »
Just been informed there is a suspected case of coronavirus at the local hospital where my wife works. Glad she is off work at the moment.

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 04:04:06 PM »
Just been informed there is a suspected case of coronavirus at the local hospital where my wife works. Glad she is off work at the moment.

See attached PDF for surefire protection method....

More than a coincidence that the present outbreak started in Wuhan,  where there is a massive microbiology lab and it is rumoured that test animals were passed into the food chain at local meat markets....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wuhan_Institute_of_Virology
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 04:08:36 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2020, 10:49:58 PM »
More than a coincidence that the present outbreak started in Wuhan,  where there is a massive microbiology lab and it is rumoured that test animals were passed into the food chain at local meat markets....

Whilst it's a fabulous news story, I think it's a myth.  I understand that a number of western labs have analysed the virus and have found no evidence that it is man made, and is entirely consistent with a natural mutation to similar pre-existing viruses.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Blue HR-V SE CVT
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2020, 08:33:15 AM »
There's a case in my town. It's someone who had returned from northern Italy and had put themselves in self-isolation so hopefully that's as far as it will spread.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2020, 09:03:43 AM »

Whilst it's a fabulous news story, I think it's a myth.  I understand that a number of western labs have analysed the virus and have found no evidence that it is man made, and is entirely consistent with a natural mutation to similar pre-existing viruses.

Who said it was man made ? The lab could have just been studying it - but it is beyond coincidence that it happened right next to the main microbiology / virology lab in China.

How about this for a conspiracy theory,  due to the fact that this virus disproportionately targets older people and that China has an aging population not economically active and needing care this virus was released on purpose, but they would be silly to do that right next to the laboratory - wouldn't they ?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 09:20:32 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Mk3 EX CVT, Red
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2020, 05:02:48 PM »
The world's gone mad again, went into my local Sainsbury's to do the weekly shop yesterday morning.
Not one Loo roll to had anywhere in the shop, or even a Paracetamol tablet, shelves completely bare!
What prompts people into the mass frenzy of buying up everything in the shop, must have more money than sense.
I blame the media for all the hype over the Coronavirus, funny how everything has gone quiet over Brexit, wonder what the next topic will be??

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2020, 05:12:43 PM »
Who said it was man made ? The lab could have just been studying it - but it is beyond coincidence that it happened right next to the main microbiology / virology lab in China.

I thought you were referring to the speculation in the news suggesting it was a man made modification of the bat virus, known to be held in the Wuhan facility. Possibly an intentional leak.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2020, 06:15:54 PM »
Not one Loo roll to had anywhere in the shop, or even a Paracetamol tablet, shelves completely bare!
I went to my local Lidl today and Mrs Jocko had Loo rolls on the list. I thought I should be so lucky, but they had tons. I just bought my usual pack. Don't know about Paracetamol though. I get mine on prescription. Seemingly the problem is India limiting the export of the drug. India is the world's biggest supplier of generic drugs.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2020, 06:19:29 PM »
That is news of a hotel in China, being used for quarantine, collapsing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-51784167

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2020, 11:03:58 PM »
[Don't know about Paracetamol though. I get mine on prescription.
I get mine for 60p from Tesco. Doesn’t you getting yours on presumably free prescription cost the NHS a fortune?

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2020, 11:23:38 PM »

How about this for a conspiracy theory,  due to the fact that this virus disproportionately targets older people and that China has an aging population not economically active and needing care this virus was released on purpose, but they would be silly to do that right next to the laboratory - wouldn't they ?
Conspiracy theory right enough.
It's all relative
Median age China 37.4 years
Median age USA   38.1 years
Median age UK     40.5 years

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_median_age

What is truly frightening is the median age in some of the African countries. (in the teens)

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2020, 11:32:58 PM »
[Don't know about Paracetamol though. I get mine on prescription.
I get mine for 60p from Tesco. Doesn’t you getting yours on presumably free prescription cost the NHS a fortune?

Being able to buy drugs (in limited quantities) off the shelf in Tesco doesn't mean that you shouldn't be able to get larger quantities on script for chronic conditions. The NHS being fleeced for these drugs, if indeed they are, is another issue.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2020, 06:56:55 AM »
Doesn’t you getting yours on presumably free prescription cost the NHS a fortune?
I get 480 at a time for my Osteoarthritis (8 a day). That would require 30 visits to the supermarket (every two days) or 15 visits to the pharmacy. Why should I, an OAP, have to fork out £18 for painkillers. I paid National Insurance for 50 years. Why shouldn't I get the drugs I require on prescription

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2020, 08:08:08 PM »
Sorry @jocko. My comment was not supposed to be aimed at you personally. It was intended more as a comment on how the system works. I can see my wording was clumsy and for that I apologise. I have no issue with people getting the meds they need.

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2020, 08:49:15 PM »

If anyone wants to follow a sound down to earth running appraisal, here is a useful link to Dr John Campbell.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Campbellteaching/videos

Been following his commentary since the problem first broke out in China. No hype, no hysteria, just good old fashioned common sense backed by some professional knowledge and experience. The main problem with this particular strain of virus is the potentially higher spread rate (R value) among humans. Freeze that risk and it will struggle to thrive on the simple principle of prevention rather than cure. Hence lockdowns in bad affected areas. Trouble is, as always, too many clowns are waiting for the red alert and official statement of a crisis when it is arguably too late and then of course it will be the guvverment's fault...

Tags: