Author Topic: Hybrid tax  (Read 1483 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Hybrid tax
« on: February 07, 2020, 10:46:54 AM »
In some states of the USA drivers of hybrid vehicles have to pay a tax levy. Ohio charges drivers more to register new hybrid and electric vehicles than gas guzzlers and it appears this will come into force in other states this year. States with new or higher electric vehicle fees taking effect in 2020 include Alabama, Iowa, Oregon and Utah. California, which accounts for nearly half of all-electric vehicle sales in the U.S., is to collect a $100 fee on new “zero-emission” vehicles starting July 1.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: Hybrid tax
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 02:35:20 PM »
Obviously something will replace fuel tax on electric vehicles probably higher road fund licence. I wouldn't put it past the government to take the opportunity to build in an increase.

Vic.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 06:44:26 PM »
If gov't wants to steer people away from carbon-based fuels then it's time for a significant rise in fuel duty. That will hit hardest those who use the most fuel and encourage them to think of the alternatives. When this source of revenue starts to drop then it will be time to introduce road pricing.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 07:18:42 PM »
If gov't wants to steer people away from carbon-based fuels then it's time for a significant rise in fuel duty.

I can't see that going down well in Sun and Daily Mail land, after 9 years of freezes.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 09:30:39 PM »
it would be massively unpopular but the increase popularity of SUVs evidently means some people aren't that bothered by the cost of fuel.

The problem with sales taxes and green taxes is they impact more on the ordinary Joe or Jill just trying to get to work in an ordinary second hand car. Macron found that with the Gilet Jaunes in France.

I'm more in favour of hammering new big cars and keeping fuel taxes level or increasing by no more than CPI.

Johncb500

• Approved Member
  • Honda owner since 1971,on 2 and 4 wheels
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz EX 2012-CB500/4 1974
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2020, 03:06:06 PM »
If gov't wants to steer people away from carbon-based fuels then it's time for a significant rise in fuel duty.

I can't see that going down well in Sun and Daily Mail land, after 9 years of freezes.
If they reverted to pricing XX+tax.as was done with early VAT.

so it would look.

40p ltre + tax+duty

At present rates

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

culzean

• Approved Member
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2020, 07:03:50 PM »
We cannot just stop using oil because we get many products from crude oil, not just petrol and diesel.. just imagine life without any plastic, paint, lubricating products, tar to make roads, some medicines, the list of things we get from oil is very long and many vital products - so when we refine crude oil to get them do we just dump the unwanted petrol and diesel bits ?
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2020, 08:07:53 PM »
We cannot just stop using oil because we get many products from crude oil, not just petrol and diesel.. just imagine life without any plastic, paint, lubricating products, tar to make roads, some medicines, the list of things we get from oil is very long and many vital products - so when we refine crude oil to get them do we just dump the unwanted petrol and diesel bits ?
If the petrol and diesel weren't burned there would be more raw materials left for the more valuable products for future generations.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 08:21:35 PM by JimSh »

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2020, 08:50:32 PM »
do we just dump the unwanted petrol and diesel bits ?
Yes. As long as we don't burn them.

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2020, 09:19:22 PM »
do we just dump the unwanted petrol and diesel bits ?
Yes. As long as we don't burn them.
No need.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2020, 10:17:09 PM »
it would be massively unpopular but the increase popularity of SUVs evidently means some people aren't that bothered by the cost of fuel.

They might be, if it had risen with inflation. Fuel is actually around 20 pence per litre cheaper than the peak 8 years ago, and that's not even in real terms, i.e. taking inflation into account. That can't be a sustainable policy, if you want to promote electric cars, or even fuel efficient cars.

Tags:

anything