Author Topic: Honda Jazz Mk4 2020  (Read 13326 times)

ndavey1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SR 2020
Re: Honda Jazz Mk4 2020
« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2021, 01:49:55 PM »
Honestly, with ACC & lane follow on, itís just easier to sit in lane 2.

No need to deal with trucks or merges, and no need to disengage all the time to change lanes. Just sit there and let the computer drive...
Agree completely. This is what I do. Iíd like to drive in lane 1 as weíre supposed to, but with the amount of potholes caused by the lorries, Iíd have a damaged Jazz.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2006 GD5 Jazz 1.2 i-DSi S in Vivid Blue Pearl
« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2021, 03:04:40 PM »
I always drive in Lane 1. We only have two lanes up here. And Lane 1 is as well surfaced as Lane 2.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE
« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2021, 05:32:28 PM »
Honestly, with ACC & lane follow on, itís just easier to sit in lane 2.

No need to deal with trucks or merges, and no need to disengage all the time to change lanes. Just sit there and let the computer drive...
Agree completely. This is what I do. Iíd like to drive in lane 1 as weíre supposed to, but with the amount of potholes caused by the lorries, Iíd have a damaged Jazz.
Well then you are both bad inconsiderate drivers. What do you have to disengage to change lanes? Looks to me like you disengage brain to stay in lane 2. Sorry, just telling it like it is.

ndavey1

• Approved Member
« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2021, 05:37:56 PM »
Why should I damage my car and actually cause danger by trying to avoid all the potholes in lane 1. Lorries should be in their own dedicated lanes and not allowed to overtake. Iíve seen too many accidents and almost accidents from lorries moving into the 2nd lane trying to overtake another lorry, while ending up at the same speed. This happens on the m25 on a daily basis. Until the rules for lorries are changed I will drive in the second lane.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
« Reply #79 on: January 14, 2021, 05:41:13 PM »
Why should I damage my car and actually cause danger by trying to avoid all the potholes in lane 1.

Ermm. Because it's the law?

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 ES 2013 Silver
« Reply #80 on: January 14, 2021, 06:16:07 PM »
Highway code rule 137. "On a two-lane dual carriageway you should stay in the left-hand lane. Use the right-hand lane for overtaking or turning right. After overtaking, move back to the left-hand lane when it is safe to do so."

Rule 264 "You should always drive in the left-hand lane when the road ahead is clear. If you are overtaking a number of slower-moving vehicles, you should return to the left-hand lane as soon as you are safely past."

Not sure how long ago you passed your test, or indeed read the code.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/motorways-253-to-273

If you can't change lanes safely, get some more training.

TiJazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar eHEV
« Reply #81 on: January 14, 2021, 06:59:07 PM »
Iím not defending it, but itís true - and on todayís motorways, everyone else is basically doing the same anyway - sitting there on ACC mode.

Until more cars come with auto lane change built into their level 2/3 driver assistance systems, many folk will do this.

I passed my IAM back in 2008, I can drive at top tier level, I just canít be bothered to when the computer will do an acceptable job ;)

And to be honest, most of the time in lane 2 you are overtaking trucks, so itís still legitimate to sit there at 70.

Then thereís this average speed zone rubbish where overtaking just canít happen anyway, and everyone is bunched up at the same speed for ďsafetyĒ (in reality, the opposite).

I wouldnít say itís ďdisengage brainĒ either. You can actually pay more attention to the traffic when lane and distance keeping are handled for you by a machine.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 07:12:35 PM by TiJazz »

richardfrost

• Approved Member
« Reply #82 on: January 14, 2021, 07:15:00 PM »
I have this tech on my car but I donít understand why lane changing is so hard. So long as I indicate the system letís me steer into the next lane with no issues.

ndavey1

• Approved Member
« Reply #83 on: January 14, 2021, 07:33:44 PM »
Iíd love to keep to the Highway Code all the time, and if Iím driving on decent roads I will. But until they sort lane 1 of the m25 out I canít. A couple of weeks ago I was driving happily at 50mph in lane 1. Then without warning a massive bang that shook the car (potholes). After that I wasnít driving safely because Iím not concentrating, just worrying what damage has occurred. Itís just not worth it. The whole rule book needs updating. Roads and drivers are different now.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2006 GD5 Jazz 1.2 i-DSi S in Vivid Blue Pearl
« Reply #84 on: January 14, 2021, 08:57:00 PM »
The whole rule book needs updating.
Maybe it's the M25 that needs to be updated - or at least repaired.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
« Reply #85 on: January 14, 2021, 09:56:30 PM »
Iíd love to keep to the Highway Code all the time, and if Iím driving on decent roads I will. But until they sort lane 1 of the m25 out I canít. A couple of weeks ago I was driving happily at 50mph in lane 1. Then without warning a massive bang that shook the car (potholes). After that I wasnít driving safely because Iím not concentrating, just worrying what damage has occurred. Itís just not worth it. The whole rule book needs updating. Roads and drivers are different now.
Do you drive happily in Lane 2 at 50mph?

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #86 on: January 15, 2021, 08:40:18 AM »
Driving constantly in lane 2 is inconsiderate, thoughtless, and demonstrates a lack of awareness of road conditions. Not only are you creating a tailback of other vehicles, and forcing them to either undertake or out into lane 3 to overtake, you are also blocking drivers in lane 1 from moving out to overtake. You can also be booked for doing it:
https://www.ageas.co.uk/solved/road-safety/middle-lane-hogging-are-you-aware-of-the-risks/
ďIn the eyes of the law middle lane hogging is seen as a careless driving offenceĒ

Hereís a thought if youíre relying on ACC to keep a distance from the car ahead: does it apply the brakes if the car ahead does? Or does it, like most speed limiters, just cut the gas ... which wonít stop you piling into the braking vehicle ahead?

richardfrost

• Approved Member
« Reply #87 on: January 15, 2021, 09:30:27 AM »
Itís this kind of selfish driving that is the caricature of Jazz drivers!

ndavey1

• Approved Member
« Reply #88 on: January 15, 2021, 10:01:13 AM »
Driving constantly in lane 2 is inconsiderate, thoughtless, and demonstrates a lack of awareness of road conditions. Not only are you creating a tailback of other vehicles, and forcing them to either undertake or out into lane 3 to overtake, you are also blocking drivers in lane 1 from moving out to overtake. You can also be booked for doing it:
https://www.ageas.co.uk/solved/road-safety/middle-lane-hogging-are-you-aware-of-the-risks/
ďIn the eyes of the law middle lane hogging is seen as a careless driving offenceĒ

Hereís a thought if youíre relying on ACC to keep a distance from the car ahead: does it apply the brakes if the car ahead does? Or does it, like most speed limiters, just cut the gas ... which wonít stop you piling into the braking vehicle ahead?

In lane 2 I set ACC to 70 and it keeps up to the traffic, slowing and speeding and stopping if need be. The speed limit is 70 so this is fine as I see it.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #89 on: January 15, 2021, 10:42:05 AM »
In lane 2 I set ACC to 70 and it keeps up to the traffic, slowing and speeding and stopping if need be. The speed limit is 70 so this is fine as I see it.
That's only "fine" if road conditions are such that you can't move back into lane 1. But remaining in lane 2 (or 3 or 4) when inner lanes are clear is needlessly obstructive for other road users.

Interesting press release from IAM Roadsmart today about the need for training in the safe use of advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS):
https://www.iamroadsmart.com/media-and-policy/newsroom/news-details/2021/01/13/better-training-is-essential-to-make-adas-a-safety-benefit-and-not-a-potential-hazard

Tags: news jazz