Author Topic: Honda Jazz Mk4 2020  (Read 12989 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Honda Jazz Mk4 2020
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2021, 11:53:52 AM »
... if I have no vehicles behind me on the motorway and I pull out to overtake I don't indicate because there is no one to tell.
Apart, that is, from the vehicle you’re overtaking. He may be about to do exactly the same as you. More of an issue is returning to lane 1 after the overtake. There’s no need to signal then because (a) by definition you’re moving away from the overtaken vehicle and (b) the Highway Code says you move back after overtaking, so that’s what the other driver should be expecting. I often end up indicating unnecessarily simply to avoid having to explain to any passenger why the car has started beeping.

Due to increasing willingness for drivers to 'undertake' ( an apt description ) I signal when returning to lane 1 and really check nearside mirror.  I also check nearside mirror when signaling to turn off an Island,  I have had muppets trying to get past on the nearside.  Lane discipline is the key and it is getting to be a lost cause.  I also often pull into centre lane when approaching motorway junctions to allow traffic coming onto motorway a bit more space, as people seem unwilling to allow vehicle in,  there is almost a desperation nowadays about some peoples driving that they are getting more reluctant to stop at junctions with give way signs, when coming onto islands, let people out from side roads etc.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

emmerdale

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 EX 2013
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2021, 12:02:18 PM »
Could not agree more,even truck drivers are no longer gentlemen of the road, mostly big bully boys

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2021, 12:27:58 PM »
I also check nearside mirror when signaling to turn off an Island,  I have had muppets trying to get past on the nearside.

Quite agree.  The road users to really look out for are cyclists, especially when turning left as they seem to come up the inside of traffic regardless.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2006 GD5 Jazz 1.2 i-DSi S in Vivid Blue Pearl
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2021, 12:57:36 PM »
I use my nearside mirror as often as I use the offside and interior. Again an absolute necessity when driving a bus or coach (I still check for tail swing, even when driving my Jazz!). If I have overtaken a vehicle in lane one, there is little chance of someone undertaking unless he wants to race! I am never in a lane that allows undertaking. I always get into the lefthand lane after overtaking and stay there until I need to overtake again. There are very few sections of motorway in Scotland that have more than two lanes (M8 through Glasgow is one exception). On multi-lane motorways, the lanes are usually marked for different destinations (Scotland again), so you have to treat them as splits, and signal accordingly.

TiJazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar eHEV
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2021, 02:33:57 PM »
Itís been years since those of us with IAM qualifications passed their test - mine was back in 2007 for example - so things have probably changed with technology.

The fact is that cars now enforce turn signal use when changing lane, so I signal.

I think the point about checklists is valid though. My MG eZS had a bit of a process to switch on the limiter on start. Thankfully thatís easy on the Jazz (just hit RES) but I find switching between ACC and limiter a bit of a faff after joining or leaving a motorway:

Joining:
LIM until ACC indicator shows
Shift to D
Accelerate to speed then hit SET
LKAS ON

Leaving:
Brake tap to cancel ACC
LKAS OFF
Shift to B
LIM to limiter
RES to set limiter to previous ACC speed
Adjust limiter to minor road speed

In my Tesla, it was:

AP ON

AP OFF

;) Iím a software developer and flight sim Youtuber, so I like to think Iím familiar with such procedures, but if I find it a hassle I wonder how ďnormal peopleĒ deal with it?

I did teach my old man to use ACC, though. Not the limiter or LKAS mind, so it was a much easier process of ďpress SET at 70 then just tap brake to disengageĒ.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 02:47:19 PM by TiJazz »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • My Honda: 2013 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2021, 12:15:55 PM »
My IAM was back in 1982, 5 years after my double deck PSV licence, taken at Chiswick under Police examiners.

I don't remember being told to indicate or not after an overtake because I don't remember overtaking in an old RT bus.  :)

We were taught to stick to the nearside (your bread & butter side) at all times where possible.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 12:20:37 PM by Kremmen »
Let's be careful out there!

TiJazz

• Approved Member
« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2021, 12:41:04 PM »
On that note, itís interesting that the LKAS on Jazz favours the near side of the lane. Most other systems favour the offside as they are built for LHD markets and the software isnít adjusted for RHD. Being a Japanese car, the Jazz is naturally designed for RHD.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2021, 01:54:28 PM »
My IAM was back in 1982, 5 years after my double deck PSV licence, taken at Chiswick under Police examiners.

I don't remember being told to indicate or not after an overtake because I don't remember overtaking in an old RT bus.  :)

We were taught to stick to the nearside (your bread & butter side) at all times where possible.
I was taught in an old Optare single-decker.

You had to take a run at it to pass a woman pushing a pram. After passing, my first driving job was a double-decker into Edinburgh city centre with youngsters coming home from T in the Park.
After that, it was mainly the new Optares and Interurban (again Edinburgh).
For those that know it the Princes Street, Lothian Road, Queensferry Road, Shandwick Place junction was a nightmare.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2021, 02:23:30 PM »
The London Transport RT was pre-select gearbox. That was actually fairly well thought out once you were used to it.

The snag was that if you did some overtime on another route that wasn't RT and you pre-selected a lower gear, force of habit when pulling in to stop, everyone lurched forwards :)

The main issue with the RT was that the mechanicals, steering wheel and pedals, were attached to the chassis. The drivers seat was attached to the sprung bodywork so on corners the steering wheel and pedals moved left / right.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2021, 04:19:08 PM »
One good  reason for indicating left when going back into nearside lane, especially when a fair amount of traffic around is it will signal to following vehicle that you will soon be out of their way and may save them trying to change lane to overtake you.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2021, 05:59:43 PM »
The main issue with the RT was that the mechanicals, steering wheel and pedals, were attached to the chassis. The drivers seat was attached to the sprung bodywork so on corners the steering wheel and pedals moved left / right.
I drove an old decker like that. Every time you went to get the pedals, they were in a different place. Didn't lead to the smoothest of braking.

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2021, 11:01:19 AM »
Lane discipline seems like a lost cause these days. Reluctantly I will sometimes pass someone on the inside rather than get held up. Accelerating past with my hand on the horn. Not that I would defend that. I can't always pull out through two lanes and back to the inside.

I'm often struck by how big a tailback is created by someone who won't increase their speed by even a couple of mph to get an overtake done.

The really inexplicable one to me is that with so much more four lane motorway the selfish and lazy s*ds who would sit in the 2nd of  three lanes now sit in the 3rd  :-X.

But then I imagine if you asked people for three words that describe a good driver few would include considerate.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 11:04:49 AM by springswood »
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2021, 11:08:13 AM »
Lane discipline seems like a lost cause these days. Reluctantly I will sometimes pass someone on the inside rather than get held up. Accelerating past with my hand on the horn. Not that I would defend that.

I'm often struck by how big a tailback is created by someone who won't increase their speed by even a couple of mph to get an overtake done.

The really inexplicable one to me is that with so much more four lane motorway the selfish and lazy s*ds who would sit in the 2nd of  three lanes now sit in the 3rd  :-X.

But then I imagine if you asked people for three words that describe a good driver few would include considerate.

Nobody in their right mind would defend undertaking with their hand on the horn.... :o 

Lorries seem particularly bad at overtakes ( OK I know they are governed, or should be ).. There is a 2 lane motorway near us ( M54 ) and I sometimes used it to get to work, lorries would creep past another line of lorries at the pace of a arthritic snail and then get to front of queue ( after miles ) and then settle at exactly the pace of the rest of lorries they just overtook - I think they have competitions to see how many cars they can keep behind them for the longest time,  maybe it brightens up their day,  must be boring driving a lorry...

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2021, 11:45:01 AM »
What I do like doing with the centre lane owners club is to overtake them normally then cut across their bow from lane 3 to 1.

It sometimes gives them the message.

TiJazz

• Approved Member
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2021, 11:58:05 AM »
Honestly, with ACC & lane follow on, itís just easier to sit in lane 2.

No need to deal with trucks or merges, and no need to disengage all the time to change lanes. Just sit there and let the computer drive...

Tags: news jazz