Author Topic: What failing in my Jazz can cause tv interference?  (Read 188 times)

TopDown

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 EX
What failing in my Jazz can cause tv interference?
« on: December 02, 2019, 08:50:36 PM »
My stay-at-home co-driver mentioned tonight that as I started up the car there was interference on the tv that faded as I drove away, the reverse happening as I returned home. Interference increasing as I pulled up outside and stopped when I switched off.

Plug leads? Plugs?

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: What failing in my Jazz can cause tv interference?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 09:49:21 PM »
Not likely to be coils as they are close coupled to plugs and only 12volts switched externally and fed to coils - but the proper plugs are supposed to have a 5000 ohm suppressor resistor incorporated into them ( that is the R in plug number ) if the wrong plugs fitted and don't have resistor this could be a problem... otherwise a failing coil may cause interference but you would probably notice the engine running rough or some other problem...

The 5000 ohm resistor used to be fitted in the plug cap or lead, and you used to be able to buy carbon cored plug leads to cut down interference, but resistor now mostly integral in the plug... it makes me laugh when people say copper plugs give better spark than iridium because iridium has higher resistance than copper,  and don't realise that the plug has a 5000 ohm resistor in it anyway.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 09:55:07 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

TopDown

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 10:06:29 PM »
Oh dear - may be coil as there is some hesitancy during acceleration. How many 's for that?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2006 GD5 Jazz 1.2 i-DSi S in Vivid Blue Pearl

TopDown

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 09:43:19 PM »
Ah. Not SO bad, if that's the problem then.

Thank you :-)

Tags: