Author Topic: Local Tesco fuel price increase  (Read 2003 times)

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Local Tesco fuel price increase
« on: November 22, 2019, 02:41:40 PM »
I buy nearly all my fuel at a local Tesco and use their 99 momentum almost exclusively. Recently they reduced the price of their 95 by 1p but increased the price of their 99 Momentum by 2p increasing the difference to 7p. I know this difference is a lot less than some of the big names charge.
I now have to ask myself is the 99 worth it, I have never noticed any improvement in fuel consumption or performance form using the 99, I used it for the additives they put in.
I could do fill ups using 95 and 99 alternately averaging out at 97 octane and getting some of the additives advantages.
My alternative convenient fuel is BP where their 95 is £1.25 compared with Tesco's 95 at £1.22 or 99 at £1.29.

Vic.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 07:09:10 PM by VicW »

Johncb500

• Approved Member
  • Honda owner since 1971,on 2 and 4 wheels
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz EX 2012-CB500/4 1974
Re: Local Tesco fuel price increase
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 02:56:08 PM »
I run all my Hondas (2 & 4 wheels)on either Tesco or Asda cheapest.
If I am away I just fill with whatever is needed.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 04:28:08 PM »
I run all my Hondas (2 & 4 wheels)on either Tesco or Asda cheapest.

Same here if the handbook says 95 octane that is what it is designed to run on and that it what it gets, don't see the point in paying more for any other. ::)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2019, 04:33:36 PM »
I did a 10 tankful test with 97 octane and what little improvement it made, the numbers didn't stack up.
See here.
https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=11304.0
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 04:37:29 PM by Jocko »

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2019, 11:40:43 PM »
I have been using Shell V Power and finds the engine more faster on my i-shift. But recently been using Asda as price is £1.19.7 and also due to geographic reasons. Car doesn't go as fast but definitely better for the pocket. I used Tesco's Momentum but prefer to Shell V Power.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 12:47:43 AM by 123Drive! »

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2019, 10:31:25 AM »
Yes - I noticed this a week or so ago when I filled up with Momentum. I wish I could cure myself of the mindset that I need extra additives!

VicW

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2019, 01:47:29 PM »
As I said I have found no improvement in fuel consumption or performance while using Tesco Momentum 99. I used it for the alleged gains in engine cleanliness but you could only confirm this by dismantling two engines, one that had used 99 and one that had used 95 and inspecting them for differences. This ain't going to happen so I guess you might as well use 95 octane; whose is a personal choice and what garage is most convenient. I get 1p per £1 back on my Tesco Clubcard and it is where we shop so that's the obvious choice for me.
Now we are back to the 'supermarket fuel is crap' discussion.

Vic.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2019, 06:09:03 PM »
Sainbury's, Morrisons and Asda are all reducing the cost of their fuels this weekend.

Sainsbury's - 120.9p petrol / 122.9p diesel
Morrison's -121.9p petrol / 123.9p diesel
Asda - no more than 120p petrol / 124p diesel

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2019, 07:48:33 PM »
Now we are back to the 'supermarket fuel is crap' discussion.
Vic.
I can only speak as I find. Back in 2003 I brought a new Landrover Freelander. After 2 or 3k miles I complained about what I thought was excessive engine noise and generally rough running. My Dealer recommended that I change fuel from the supermarket fuel I was using, to a top branded fuel. (same grade). I thought this was a 'come on' but did it and within a tank or two of fuel, the engine ran quieter and the MPG improved. Since then I have always used a branded fuel, usually BP, since it was nearer than the supermarket anyway.
I have to confess of course, it was 16 years ago and we were talking about diesel rather than petrol, but I still think that branded fuel is better, for my current Jazz.   Sorry Vic,

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2019, 08:38:33 PM »
I have run every car I have ever owned, since 1989 till now, almost entirely on supermarket fuel. About 400,000 miles in all. I have never had an engine problem, of any kind, in 30 years motoring. I have never had starting problems, rough running or lack of performance. I am sure there are millions of motorist out there in the same boat. No one will ever convince me that supermarket fuel is anything but safe and perfectly adequate for current motor cars.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2019, 11:52:19 AM »
Can't remember where I saw this but the argument was made that supermarkets supply a very large percentage of all fuel used (40%?) and that if the fuel was as bad as some people claim, the roads and garages would be littered with broken down cars and expensive engine rebuilds.

British Fuel has to meet a particular standard. In the USA I gather the situation is slightly different and standards are a bit lower - hence they have "top tier" fuels which are recommended by several car manufacturers (Honda being one). Even here if you google "top tier gasoline" you come up with loads of generic as opposed to brand names which make the top tier grade.

There have been issues with contamination at some supermarket filling stations but these are rare and are often down to an error as opposed to fuel quality.

Having said all that, it doesn't stop me wondering if branded is better!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2019, 12:23:45 PM »
There have been issues with contamination at some supermarket filling stations but these are rare and are often down to an error as opposed to fuel quality.
There are occasional contamination issues at filling stations everywhere. Big brand and supermarket. But most contamination issues occur at small privately owned filling stations, with little throughput and sometimes suspect fuel management.
It is huge filling stations, with thousands of customers, that make the news and social media. Half a dozen cars with fuel problems on Barra don't make the news.

VicW

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2019, 03:20:44 PM »
I have to confess of course, it was 16 years ago and we were talking about diesel rather than petrol,
No problem. A while ago I read in a motoring magazine that the basic specifications of petrol and diesel are strictly controlled. There is,apparently, virtually no tolerance on the octane rating of petrol and only a little on the cetane rateing of diesel. If this true then there should be no difference between branded fuel and supermarket fuel and checks are carried out regularly, at one time fuel was sampled at the pumps.
I'll give the Tesco 95 a try for a few tank fulls and see how we get on.

Vic.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2019, 04:12:41 PM »
Its all in the additives, not the base fuel....
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: