Author Topic: Steering wheel scuffed  (Read 3251 times)

supersnipe

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2017 Jazz SE
Steering wheel scuffed
« on: April 02, 2019, 09:30:24 PM »
I have a May 2017 SE which has only covered 9,500 miles (8000 of those since I bought the car in Feb 2018), and already the grained effect on the lower third of the steering wheel has become scuffed and has begun to wear away. I always drive with my hands at the 'ten to two' position and pass the wheel through my hands when steering, as I was taught that this allows the maximum steering control at all times. I was taught that you should never cross your hands on the wheel. I don't grip the wheel in a vice-like manner, so I'm somewhat disappointed to notice this damage. I particularly chose an SE, as I have been a vegetarian for nearly fifty years, so I did not want a leather steering wheel. Has anyone else noticed similar damage to their car, please?

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
Re: Steering wheel scuffed
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 09:55:00 AM »
There's no sign of wear on mine after 31,000 miles.  Do you wear sandpaper gloves, or any rings perhaps?

supersnipe

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 01:28:39 PM »
 No, I don't wear any rings, and I got over that whole 'sandpaper gloves' thing long ago!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 01:43:48 PM »
Maybe the previous owner cleaned it with something they shouldn't or used loads of hand cream or similar ( or had a beer belly and his belt buckle was touching the steering wheel )  :o . Non of the steering wheels on any Honda I have had has shown any wear despite doing larger mileages,  it could just be a MK3 change of material but I haven't got to MK3 yet ( and probably never will after driving my brothers 1.4 Suzuki Vitara Boosterjet ).......
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 02:23:42 PM »
I had a second hand synthesizer once that I really liked but I always thought the screen looked a bit scratched or scuffed and was not particularly clear. Then one day, after having it for many months, I noticed something in the corner peeling back and realised the protective film was still attached. I peeled it back to reveal a pristine screen.

Long shot but there wouldn't be some sort of protective film or coating that is peeling off would there?

thehazzard

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz GK EX 2017 Sunset Orange
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 02:43:42 PM »
That's happened to me before, the noise i remember I made was 'ahhhhhhhhhhHHHHhhhh!'

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 04:16:10 PM »
I had a second hand synthesizer once that I really liked but I always thought the screen looked a bit scratched or scuffed and was not particularly clear. Then one day, after having it for many months, I noticed something in the corner peeling back and realised the protective film was still attached. I peeled it back to reveal a pristine screen.

Long shot but there wouldn't be some sort of protective film or coating that is peeling off would there?

Off topic, sorry, but couldn’t resist this:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6825567/Mother-fed-blue-cabinet-didnt-match-furniture-discover-actually-GREY.html

And no, my steering wheel is not showing any damage.

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2019, 11:25:36 PM »
I got a 2009 MK2 and plastic steering worn around 70k miles after 7 yrs, so much so I sourced a sports leather one from Italy eBay because Honda UK asked for £350 and 3mths wait! My Seat Ibiza also has steering worn after 5 yrs 50k miles and again got a replacement from eBay. Many years ago I had a Toyota Verso and just before the 3 yrs warranty ended, I got them to replace the leather steering wheel as it was beginning to peel off. Can you try this route and if this fails write a nice letter to Honda UK for goodwill gesture?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 11:27:43 PM by 123Drive! »

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2019, 06:56:22 AM »
On a side note,  a few years ago we bought a couple of leather sofas, then after about 4 years the leather started to bubble. We went back to the shop and asked what was going on. The manager asks "Are you on heart tablets?", I said "Yes", and he replies "That's what's doing it, the drugs come out in the oils in your skin and are absorbed by the leather, and breaks up the leather". We now have fabric sofas.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2019, 02:49:49 PM »
On a side note,  a few years ago we bought a couple of leather sofas, then after about 4 years the leather started to bubble. We went back to the shop and asked what was going on. The manager asks "Are you on heart tablets?", I said "Yes", and he replies "That's what's doing it, the drugs come out in the oils in your skin and are absorbed by the leather, and breaks up the leather". We now have fabric sofas.
I wonder what bizarre explanation he'ld have come up with if you'ld said "No" to the heart tablets!  No doubt he had an alternative explanation ready.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2019, 03:58:56 PM »
I have a May 2017 SE which has only covered 9,500 miles (8000 of those since I bought the car in Feb 2018), and already the grained effect on the lower third of the steering wheel has become scuffed and has begun to wear away.

Watch out for jacket zips when getting out of the car, that can scratch and scuff the wheel.

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2019, 04:48:23 PM »

? Really? So your pants and trousers didn't absorb the heat or am I asking too personal question? Lol!

supersnipe

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2019, 01:24:57 PM »
The dealership from which I bought the car informed me that Honda had put the worn steering wheel down to fair wear and tear, so I contacted Honda Customer Service myself, and, to cut a long story short, they supplied a new steering wheel free of charge. I agreed to pay about £65 for labour. I think that this was a good and fair outcome, bearing in mind that in spite of the low mileage of around 9,500, the car was nevertheless two years old. Thanks to all who kindly took the trouble to offer help and advice.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2019, 08:18:24 PM »
Great outcome. Well done.

guest7494

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2019, 08:00:35 AM »
The answer is NO, and to be quite frank I really could not be bothered anyway, if the Steering Wheel steered the car then that is all that is required, scuffed or otherwise.
There is more important things to be concerned about in the world today.
However I am really pleased you have got a new Steering Wheel,    Well. Done!! that man

Tags: