Author Topic: WTO rules?  (Read 43176 times)

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2008 GE3 Jazz 1.4 i-DSI SE
Re: WTO rules?
« Reply #1515 on: July 13, 2019, 06:47:33 PM »
And this is interesting but ignored by the press - judges ruling in Boris Johnson £350million a week case.

https://order-order.com/2019/07/04/judges-say-boris-right-350-million-week-acceptable-gross-figure/

Hardly ignored by the press.

Are you still saying that the following statement, used regularly by the Leave campaign,

"...the £350 million we send the EU every week"

is accurate?

You can argue that the gross figure is the amount due before deducting the rebate, or you can argue that the gross figure is the amount we actually send to the EU. You can't use the figure from the former with the wording for the latter, and it be truthful.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #1516 on: July 13, 2019, 07:27:27 PM »
And this is interesting but ignored by the press - judges ruling in Boris Johnson £350million a week case.

https://order-order.com/2019/07/04/judges-say-boris-right-350-million-week-acceptable-gross-figure/

Are you still saying that the following statement, used regularly by the Leave campaign,

is accurate?

You can argue that the gross figure is the amount due before deducting the rebate, or you can argue that the gross figure is the amount we actually send to the EU. You can't use the figure from the former with the wording for the latter, and it be truthful.

If a high court judge is happy with it who am I to argue ?  :P
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #1517 on: July 13, 2019, 07:53:15 PM »

is accurate?

To be fair, the court case revolved around the question of whether £350 million could be regarded as a gross figure - which of course it could.

My point relates to the statement above. Is it a true representation of the facts or not? Do we send the EU £350 million per week?

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #1518 on: July 13, 2019, 09:35:58 PM »

is accurate?

To be fair, the court case revolved around the question of whether £350 million could be regarded as a gross figure - which of course it could.

My point relates to the statement above. Is it a true representation of the facts or not? Do we send the EU £350 million per week?
I don't think that there was any doubt that the statement was a lie, or at least a misleading statement.  The judgement was based on there being no laws governing misleading statements in a political campaign like the 2016 referendum.

"Laying out their reasons for the decision on Wednesday, Lady Justice Rafferty and Mr Justice Supperstone said: “The problem of false statements in the course of political campaigning is not new and has not been overlooked by parliament. For at least the last 120 or so years parliament has legislated to control certain false campaign statements which it considers an illegal practice.”

But the laws do not cover arguments used in political campaigns like the 2016 EU referendum, the judges found. ""

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-court-latest-brexit-lies-high-court-end-tory-leadership-contest-a8985876.html

Edit Punctuation
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 10:46:30 PM by JimSh »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #1519 on: July 13, 2019, 09:56:19 PM »
No one has commented yet on the green MEPs assessment of the EU or the Labour MPs talking to Bojo and willing to vote with Tories, wonder why ? First one a bit hard to swallow for EU lovers, second could be very, very embarrassing for Labour party trying to frustrate brexit, because no good Labour threatening them - if we don't leave EU and an election is triggered those MPs will get kicked out anyway and replaced by Brexit party MPs....just saying.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #1520 on: July 14, 2019, 12:07:44 AM »
No one has commented yet on the green MEPs assessment of the EU or the Labour MPs talking to Bojo and willing to vote with Tories, wonder why ? First one a bit hard to swallow for EU lovers, second could be very, very embarrassing for Labour party trying to frustrate brexit, because no good Labour threatening them - if we don't leave EU and an election is triggered those MPs will get kicked out anyway and replaced by Brexit party MPs....just saying.

If you read the rest of Magid's considerable output, rather than the snippets selected by Guido Fawkes, you will find that he is very pro-EU and pro-reform of the EU.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #1521 on: July 14, 2019, 09:17:43 AM »

If you read the rest of Magid's considerable output, rather than the snippets selected by Guido Fawkes, you will find that he is very pro-EU and pro-reform of the EU.

Ahhh, pro-reform - good that he has found EU is a black hole for democracy and as a black man they did not seem very welcoming towards him. Well good luck with reform, hope he wears a bump cap when banging his head on that particular  brick wall........ :(
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 11:58:37 AM by culzean »

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #1522 on: July 15, 2019, 08:17:01 PM »

Seems he would still like to reform it from within.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jul/15/nationalism-europe-eu

It doesn't seem unreasonable that someone wearing a tee shirt with "F**k Fascism" written on it would be questioned on entering a government building.

It would appear that it's the right wing factions in the EU that he finds repellant, not the institution as a whole.

"But beyond my personal experience, what is most infuriating to witness is the racism in the rhetoric and policies of mainstream politicians — whether that’s Italian far-right leader Matteo Salvini launching his inhumane campaign against NGOs saving lives in the Mediterranean, or Brexit Party MEP Ann Widdecombe comparing the emancipation of slaves from humanity’s greatest crime to her vision of Brexit. These kinds of statements and actions — of which there are so many more examples — do untold damage to the lives of marginalized communities across Europe."

https://www.politico.eu/article/magid-magid-whats-disappointed-me-in-my-first-two-weeks-in-brussels/
https://www.theparliamentmagazine.eu/articles/interviews/magid-magid-taking-eu-storm

« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 08:40:04 PM by JimSh »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #1523 on: July 15, 2019, 09:36:07 PM »
Reforming the EU reminds me of something I heard years ago. ( The bridge remains but other wish has changed ).

A man was walking on the beach and found an old bottle, he saw it had a cork still in it so he pulled it out and a genie appeared - I can grant you one wish the genie said..

The man said, well I don't like flying and can't stand the sea but I have family in Australia I would love to visit, I wish for a bridge from UK to Australia so that I can drive there, the genie gasped and went on to explain about how massive a task it was to build a bridge that long, the spanning of large distances across water etc etc etc.....

Can you make another wish, one a bit easier for me to perform said the genie.

Well said the man, for a long time I have thought how nice it would be to reform the EU and make it accountable, democratic and in short a nice organisation to belong to, and make it so that some countries don't pay all the bills.

The genie thought for a minute before he said ' did you want lights on the bridge'?

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #1524 on: July 16, 2019, 08:15:30 AM »
Pinched this one from a Guardian comment this morning.
"Brexit, this farce of an election, remind me of a Billy Connolly joke about the railway man who wants a promotion. The fat inspector comes to his signal box and asks, "what would you do if 2 trains were heading towards each other on the same line?"
The railwayman replies," push that button, turn that knob, and change tracks."
"what would you do if the electricity wasnt working?"
"Rush down the stairs, pick up my giant spanner and change the tracks manually."
" what would you do if you cant find your big spanner?"
The signal man thought for a minute."In that case I would rush down the stairs, run along to that house and fetch my uncle willie."
The fat controller was perplexed. "What could your uncle do?"
"Nothing, but he has never seen a train crash.".."

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #1525 on: July 16, 2019, 02:09:17 PM »
That is the problem, Brexit has been treated by Theresa May and establishment as damage limitation instead of a massive opportunity for our country....

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #1526 on: July 16, 2019, 02:20:49 PM »
That is the problem, Brexit has been treated by Theresa May and establishment as damage limitation instead of a massive opportunity for our country....
Massive opportunity for disaster capitalists, hedge fund managers and those with money stashed in offshore tax havens.
The very rich win. Everybody else suffers.

Barky

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE CVT GK
« Reply #1527 on: July 16, 2019, 05:11:16 PM »
Massive opportunity for disaster capitalists, hedge fund managers and those with money stashed in offshore tax havens.
aye, Brexit is only a massive opportunity for a tiny % of UK population - bad news for over 99% of us - insane to be spending £Billions to make UK worse off for decades if not forever just so a few can cash in

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #1528 on: July 16, 2019, 05:15:40 PM »
there are growing calls for public inquiry investigation of electoral fraud in Peterborough, the police are  already looking into 5 cases.  It is well documented that most fraud occurs in labour areas with high immigrant populations.

Just to put your mind at rest Culzean,

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/crime/final-electoral-fraud-investigation-into-peterborough-by-election-ends-as-police-find-no-offences-committed-1-8999797

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #1529 on: July 16, 2019, 05:24:46 PM »
aye, Brexit is only a massive opportunity for a tiny % of UK population - bad news for over 99% of us - insane to be spending £Billions to make UK worse off for decades if not forever just so a few can cash in

Absolutely. It still baffles me how these people have managed to convince 37% of the electorate that this is the answer to the country's problems.

It's certainly the wealthy's answer to the EU's Anti Tax Avoidance Directive.

Tags:

anything