Author Topic: WTO rules?  (Read 12621 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2006 GD5 Jazz 1.2 i-DSi S in Vivid Blue Pearl
Re: WTO rules?
« Reply #555 on: March 14, 2019, 08:26:11 AM »
Some prominent Brexiteers have been agitating with European leaders (Poland and Italy were mentioned) to get them to veto an extension of Article 50.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #556 on: March 14, 2019, 08:49:15 AM »
If Theresa May was a strong Prime minister ( strong is not the same as stubborn by the way) she would have fared much better,  it would also help if she was not a remainer at heart - but Hey-ho WAWWA ( we are where we are  ). How she has allowed ministers to be so disrespectful and downright disobedient of 'collective cabinet responsibility' is the sign of a weak leader,  and why David Gauke, Amber Rudd and Phil Hammond are still in positions of responsibility is a mystery to me.

Some prominent Brexiteers have been agitating with European leaders (Poland and Italy were mentioned) to get them to veto an extension of Article 50.

No doubt if any country displays any democratic tendencies they will be told 'to vote again'..... 'there can be no democratic oversight of EU decisions' ( J-Claude Drunckers ).

I am sure Hungary would be only too glad to use their veto.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 08:53:11 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #557 on: March 14, 2019, 11:40:38 AM »
After listening to all the talk, this morning, about whether or not we get an extension from the EU I have to laugh. If May went to the EU and said "We want and extension", and they said, "For what reason?", and her reply was "To take us through to the better weather". they would grant it, no problem. The EU want to keep us in at any cost, and would grant us an extension, a day at a time, if they thought it would keep us in.
And like charges on an over running building contract, the per diem cost they will charge will be exorbitant, because the voting of our MPs will mean we have no option but to pay. The £39bn divorce bill will start to look cheap by comparison.

I also feel that the nation is hardening in its contempt for parliament and the MPs, and I think that a second referendum could go as horribly wrong for those who wish to stay in the EU, as the first one did. Especially as the only campaign the leave side needs to run is "The establishment thinks you are too stupid to come to the right decision so they are making you vote again". Can you imagine how that will play to the 17,410,742 people who voted to leave last time?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #558 on: March 14, 2019, 11:46:58 AM »
And like charges on an over running building contract, the per diem cost they will charge will be exorbitant, because the voting of our MPs will mean we have no option but to pay. The £39bn divorce bill will start to look cheap by comparison.

I have seen a figure of £1billion per month in the press... seems about right.

UK could never have any respect ever again in the world if it caves in to EU tactics,  those people who want to cancel art50 have no love or respect for their country,  If the second largest EU economy and one outside the Eurozone cannot leave then any other country in EU will know exactly where they stand..
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #559 on: March 14, 2019, 12:15:56 PM »
 Here comes the seventh cavalry ----Not :o

"Donald Trump has made a last-minute Brexit intervention - claiming his administration is looking forward to "negotiating a large scale Trade Deal with the UK" - after reportedly being lobbied to do so by Nigel Farage.

The former Ukip leader is said to have asked the American president to support the UK leaving the EU without a deal during a meeting in Washington this month."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-brexit-trade-deal-us-uk-farage-twitter-theresa-may-vote-a8822566.html

I'll bet he is  :P

Chlorinated chicken, hormone and antibiotic beef, big pharma health service all at America first prices. Is this what you really want?

Latest edit Change link
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 01:09:52 PM by JimSh »

zzaj

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 1.4 EX CVT Orchid White
« Reply #560 on: March 14, 2019, 12:26:12 PM »
I've had a question on my mind for sometime.

Do people who complain about "chlorinated chicken" (i.e. chlorine washed chicken) drink chlorinated water?

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #561 on: March 14, 2019, 12:31:15 PM »
Not the same thing.
Chlorine is used to kill germs in water and on vegetables. Chlorine used to disinfect chicken covers up for negligent practice in processing and animal welfare.

This is a distractor anyway.
The point of my post was that we would be at the mercy of Trump.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 01:01:50 PM by JimSh »

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #562 on: March 14, 2019, 01:12:38 PM »
Not the same thing.
Chlorine is used to kill germs in water and on vegetables. Chlorine used to disinfect chicken covers up for negligent practice in processing and animal welfare.
But if you don't give a toss about animal welfare it doesn't make any difference to the chicken you are eating.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #563 on: March 14, 2019, 01:19:59 PM »
Not the same thing.

This is a distractor anyway.
The point of my post was that we would be at the mercy of Trump.

Every egg and chicken has salmonella and other pathogens, every piece of meat has pathogens on it.. You speak as though the EU has never mass medicated animals with antibiotics, they certainly have and it is only recently passed regulation to try to stop using them by 2020  :o

The EU has done studies and published papers on washing chicken with chlorine and found it was perfectly safe, and all they could say was ' but there are better ways' - but if you are telling me EU companies never use chlorine then I will stop buying EU meat and salad products.

The EU history of animal care is not good, a lot of the better  ideas have come from UK. Same with workers rights, in many cases UK already had better workers rights that have transferred over to EU.

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #564 on: March 14, 2019, 01:57:25 PM »
"For years, in the US, instead of preventing that chickens get infected with pathogens during all stages of rearing and slaughter, the poultry industry has resorted to chemicals to eliminate bacteria at the end of the meat production chain. In other words, chemical washes aim to make up for inadequate hygiene on farms and abattoirs.

In contrast, the EU has chosen another strategy to fight meat-borne bacteria. The philosophy of the ‘farm to fork’ approach is essentially based on the wise proverb prevention is better than cure."

https://www.beuc.eu/blog/what-is-wrong-with-chlorinated-chicken/

zzaj

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 1.4 EX CVT Orchid White
« Reply #565 on: March 14, 2019, 03:21:53 PM »
According to a report from the Adam Smith Institute , “immersing poultry meat in chlorine dioxide solution of the strength used in the United States reduces prevalence of salmonella from 14% in controls to 2%. EU chicken samples typically have 15-20% salmonella.”

Balanced article from The Grocer:

https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/food-safety/chlorinated-chicken-explained-why-do-the-americans-treat-their-poultry-with-chlorine/555618.article

It sounds like chlorinated chicken is a very good preventative for reducing human health risk.

So people should risk their lives and their families lives to prevent any potential risk of harm to a chicken?

And what is wrong with more investment in our health care systems?

Or should people die because the money to save them comes from private individuals as shareholders rather than as tax payers?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #566 on: March 14, 2019, 03:43:41 PM »
I used to work for an American company based in Michigan and travelled to USA frequently.  I love American food and their steaks are absolutely great compared to stuff in UK and Europe - if we are going to get more American food,  ' bring it on '. 

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2008 GE3 Jazz 1.4 i-DSI SE
« Reply #567 on: March 14, 2019, 06:22:54 PM »
I've had a question on my mind for sometime.

Do people who complain about "chlorinated chicken" (i.e. chlorine washed chicken) drink chlorinated water?

For quite a number of years, maintenance and operation of chlorination plant was part of my job.

The level of chlorine in drinking water is minute compared to the level in water used for bacterial control on organic matter.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #568 on: March 14, 2019, 07:02:56 PM »
https://fullfact.org/europe/does-eu-say-its-safe-eat-chicken-rinsed-chlorine/

LOL

Just another case of notorious EU non tariff barriers to trade, protectionism, call it what you like....

Looks like EU farmers prefer to spray their chickens with toxic insecticide while they are still alive..

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/food/836905/egg-scandal-eu-fipronil-safe
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 07:20:41 PM by culzean »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #569 on: March 14, 2019, 07:31:43 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-47575445/mps-reject-a-second-brexit-referendum-by-334-votes-to-85

Sarah Wollaston ( a well known 2016 referendum result denier ) wanted a people's vote on Brexit but apparently does not want a people's vote on her completely changed MP status - well Dr Wollaston, parliament certainly showed what they think of you today..
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 07:36:06 PM by culzean »

Tags:

anything