Author Topic: Short measure at the pump?  (Read 133 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2006 GD5 Jazz 1.2 i-DSi S in Vivid Blue Pearl
Short measure at the pump?
« on: May 17, 2018, 03:16:54 PM »
I filled up with petrol, this morning, and I believe I got short measure at the pump. I went into my local Morrisons, but was unable to use my usual pump. I filled up as usual, noted my mileage and the reading on the Fibometer and my ScanGauge, and thought nothing more of it.
When I returned home, and did the calculations on the spreadsheet, I was very surprised to see I had achieved 46 mpg. This is my worst ever figure, even worse than driving in snow during the "Beast from the East". I double checked all my numbers, and even went back to the car to check I had recorded the correct mileage.
As you all know, I am rather OCD when it comes to mpg figures. 46 mpg could be the real number, except I had easy journeys, the Fibometer was reading 55.8 and the ScanGauge 55.4 mpg. As I have reported elsewhere, both these are usually within 1 or 2%. I have never seen a 20% error.
This afternoon I have been for a gentle 85 mile trip, the Fibometer (reset at top up) says 68 mpg and a check on my return found all wheels cold and all tyre pressures showing 36 psig. If the petrol had been leaking out I would have surely smelt something, especially as the car is kept in a garage with carpeting under the car. For the same reason I do not suspect that petrol has been siphoned off.
The other pump on the island I used was out of order, not suspicious at the time but ringing alarm bells now. I have contacted the store, making my concerns known, and also contacted Trading Standards. I will keep you informed.

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 1.4 iShift Elegance Storm Silver GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
Re: Short measure at the pump?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 07:55:44 PM »
Weird... And was it about same amount of petrol you usually fill?

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 08:07:14 PM »
I normally wait until the warning light comes on, but I had a trip into Edinburgh, with a crawl home in rush hour traffic, so I filled up early. The price was up since last fill up, but I was still surprised at how much it cost for the fill up. I kept waiting on the pump shutting off and it kept going!

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 1.4 iShift Elegance Storm Silver GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 08:49:02 PM »
Could it have something to do with the tyre issue you posted about earlier this month?

I kept waiting on the pump shutting off and it kept going!
Sounds like you got the liters you payed for.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2008 GE3 Jazz 1.4 i-DSI SE
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 11:56:09 PM »
We usually use Morrison's, I had an unusual incident there a few months ago, but this could happen anywhere.

The petrol station was reasonably busy, and there was a chap working on one of the pumps with cones around it, so I was waiting for a free pump. Anyway, he beckoned me towards the pump with a thumbs up and started moving the cones, so I drove up to the pump.

I punched the button to pay at pump, as usual, put the card in and did the business, then checked that the pump showed zero, as I always do. I lifted the nozzle, went towards the car, the pump started up and the meter immediately clocked up an amount of fuel, before I even got the nozzle into the car. I put the nozzle back, and went into the kiosk to let them know.

After a few minutes trying to make them understand what I had seen, and them telling me it wasn't possible, I insisted they came out to look, and the repair man appeared too. I'd been charged for the fuel I hadn't had, and after much head scratching, they suggested I tried it again - and all seemed okay. They took my word for it and gave me the money back for the petrol I hadn't had.

I believe that the man working on the pump hadn't bled the air from the filler pipe before leaving, and certainly hadn't done a test pump.  As soon as the pump started, the fluid compressed the air in the pipework and spun the meter. The bottom line here is - always check it says zero before you squeeze the trigger!

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 07:17:34 AM »
Could it have something to do with the tyre issue you posted about earlier this month?

I kept waiting on the pump shutting off and it kept going!
Sounds like you got the liters you payed for.
Tyre pressure was never really low, just lower than I like. That was why I check them so often.
What I didn't say was, a full top up for me is normally 7.5 gallons from the light coming on. I once got 7.9 gallons in after running for a couple of days with the light on. Yesterday the gauge had just passed the half way mark and I got 6.5 gallons in! I know petrol gauges are not accurate, but you learn the foibles of your own car, and I know my gauge doesn't drop from there to zero in 50 miles. Nearer 150 miles, in fact.

Tags: