Author Topic: Intermittent hesitation on acceleration  (Read 94 times)

tonytan

• Approved Member
Intermittent hesitation on acceleration
« on: May 20, 2018, 11:17:00 AM »
My older Jazz (which I have 2) which has now done nearly 99,000 mainly faultless miles has been suffering a hesitation on acceleration for the last 2 years but the problem seems to get worse especially during the hotter season so I decided to get it looked at now. My first port of call was to ask my local Honda whom I know pretty well (it also helps when I work in the motor trade) and without hesitation they mentioned replacing all 4 rear ignition coils which they say is very common on cars of that mileage. I wasn't convinced that all 4 coils could fail at the same time and since each coil from Honda was slightly over 100 a piece I could not justify it. Nevertheless I sourced 4 Lucas coils from my local motor factor at 40 a piece and fitted them and to my total disbelief the hesitation has now completely disappeared. By the way there was no fault codes present and spark plugs have been replaced regularly.

smilertoo

• My Honda: 1.39l Honda Jazz 2004
Re: Intermittent hesitation on acceleration
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 05:40:21 PM »
Is hesitation the same as when you accelerate it feels like the engine is spinning and not driving the car forward, sometimes i need to accelerate very slowly to avoid this.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2006 GD5 Jazz 1.2 i-DSi S in Vivid Blue Pearl
Re: Intermittent hesitation on acceleration
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 06:49:46 PM »
Is hesitation the same as when you accelerate it feels like the engine is spinning and not driving the car forward, sometimes i need to accelerate very slowly to avoid this.
That sounds like the clutch is on its way out to me. Experienced that, once, on my SAAB 99.

Tags:

anything