Author Topic: Coolent  (Read 8541 times)

Trebor

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: I vtec es auto 2012
Coolent
« on: April 16, 2015, 09:29:12 PM »
What kind of Coolent should I put in my Jazz ? Should I buy it from Honda or can I buy it  in halfords.

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
Re: Coolent
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 09:19:23 AM »
The honda stuff fine or use some of the 'newer' universal stuff.

Personally I use the honda stuff, keeps it all the same.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 03:43:26 PM »
I have some coolant that I bought from our local 'Pitstop' shop. It's made by Comma and the salesman asked me what car it was for and then checked on the Comma website that it was OK for a Jazz.

I used it neat to bring the bottle up to the max mark when it was about 1/2 inch low.

Vic.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 03:47:26 PM by VicW »

Trebor

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 04:09:24 PM »
Thanks for the info guys,

guest4871

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 04:32:27 PM »
Honda use coolant that lasts for 10 years/ 125,000 miles from manufacture before needing to be touched/ replaced.

The manual:

"Look at the coolant level in the radiator reserve tank. Make sure it is between the MAX and MIN lines. If it is below the MIN line, see Adding Engine Coolant information in the manual on adding the proper coolant."

" Adding Engine Coolant information - If the coolant level in the reserve tank is at or below the MIN line, add coolant to bring it up to the MAX line. Inspect the cooling system for leaks. Always use genuine Honda All Season Antifreeze/Coolant Type 2. This coolant is pre-mixed with 50 percent antifreeze and 50 percent distilled water. Never add straight antifreeze or plain water."

The service schedule:

"Additional servicing every 125,000 miles or ten years:
Replace engine coolant (thereafter every 62,500 miles or five years)."

It doesn't need to be at MAX but over MIN. You need some space for expansion in the reserve otherwise you will probably just boil the extra added coolant back off again.

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
    • Jazz No1 fuel consumption
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2005 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7 & 2006 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 12:23:13 AM »
That was a big edit from earlier zzaj!

Honda use coolant that lasts for 10 years from manufacture before needing to be touched/ replaced.

Check the manual.

Why are you buying coolant for this age of car?

Anyway, for "Honda All Season Antifreeze/Coolant Type 2", read "OAT Antifreeze"  (aka Long-life 5yr stuff).

Honda can afford to put a first change of 10 years on it as they have more control over what leaves the factory.

Trebor

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 10:42:58 AM »
Eddy thanks for the info,I've only had the car for a few weeks ,I was having a quick look at the engine to check things out,I wanted to see where the coolent reservoir was.is hard to see properly it looked low,I could be wrong I'll  have a real good look later.ibought the car from a dealer so I know it was serviced.cheers

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 03:24:50 PM »
As Eddie Honda said,  use OAT (organic acid technology) or HOAT (hybrid organic acid technology) this refers to anti corrosion chemicals in the coolant.  I would buy 50% ready mixed as there is no mistake,  and it is made with distilled water to keep limescale out of your cooling system -  (funny thing about anti freeze is that below and ABOVE 50% mixture the freezing point actually rises -  50% is the mix that gives best protection,  so don't think that putting more antifreeze and less water is better, and don't use de-Ionised water to mix it, as it will then try to get its Ions back from the metals in your cooling system - causing corrosion).  And expansion tank should also be topped up with 50% mix,  as just plain water can freeze.

I have used Halfords advanced OAT antifreeze  at about £20 for 5 litres of 50% mix in both cars and motorbikes. Whatever you do avoid anti freeze containing silicates - they should be clearly marked 'silicate free'.
By the way,  the ethylene glycol part of the mixture which is actually the thing that stops it freezing doesn't wear out, just the anti corrosion chemical (OAT part) gets used up. 

if you are draining and refilling it yourself go out for a very steady short drive after refilling as any airlocks in the system can cause engine overheating,  air may not come out of the system all at once and I would check radiator level every day for a week to make sure the level isn't dropping due to air coming out of system into the rad, also check expansion tank level.

the expansion tank is hopeless to try and see the level,  I wait until its dark and shine a torch down the neck or get a piece of flexible tube and dip it fully in the tank and put my fingers where the top of neck is,  then put tube outside of bottle with fingers on top of neck and see where wet mark on tube comes relative to min and max,  I prefer the torch one though it is a lot less messy and just lights up the coloured liquid in the tank..
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 03:50:18 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2015, 06:22:53 PM »
With the bonnet open place your hands either side of the engine compartment, and while rocking the car from side to side look at the reservoir. You will see the coolant level moving from side to side.

Vic.

guest4871

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2015, 08:57:33 PM »
the expansion tank is hopeless to try and see the level,  I wait until its dark and shine a torch down the neck or get a piece of flexible tube and dip it fully in the tank and put my fingers where the top of neck is,  then put tube outside of bottle with fingers on top of neck and see where wet mark on tube comes relative to min and max,  I prefer the torch one though it is a lot less messy and just lights up the coloured liquid in the tank..

I'll second the torch technique above. Works brilliantly.

Tags:

anything