Author Topic: Seats  (Read 5765 times)

guest4078

Seats
« on: April 10, 2015, 10:13:32 AM »
Does anyone know/have experience of either swapping out the new style seats for the older less sculpted seats or changing the covers? Is the seat frame similar/the same and would a cover from an older car zip on? Now we have  both 2014 cars I can't experiment.
Sculpted 'new' seats not to her liking, hurt her lower back.
Thanks.

bill ericay

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Civic Sport 1.8 Orchid White
Re: Seats
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 11:53:45 AM »
I don't know if this is your problem, but I found the Jazz seats hurt my lower back because there is a hard lump which presses in the small of my back . This lump is the headrest anti whiplash actuator , and to see if it is giving you a problem try pressing the seat back in this area while pulling the headrest forward- you will feel the lump receding as you move the headrest. The attached photo shows how to adjust the pressure on your back my using cable ties to hold the actuator in a different position.  This is a tip I picked up from the Fit forum, and worked for me as I found my seats very painful from this pressure before I modified them . If it doesn't work, you just remove the cable ties.
I did find on my previous car, a Hyundai Getz, similar problems from a sculpted seat , and in that case a Halfords padded seat  cover worked , made the seat comfortable, but looked horrible !
I hope this helps. 

[attachment deleted by admin]

bill ericay

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 07:19:41 PM »
Also see here  http://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=5014.msg21839#msg21839   for link to Fit forum which explains it better.

guest4078

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 09:47:48 AM »
Thank you for the help, certainly the headrest plate is worth trying.
However, the main problem is the angle of the squab, it puts the body into an unnatural position and forces the body weight onto the lower back, but with the hips set back, most unnatural.
The drawing attached (kudos to drawer) shows the differences between 'chairs' and 'bucket seats' in older and modern cars.
Would a solution be to raise the rear of the seat, or can an older style Jazz seat cover fit over the frame?

[attachment deleted by admin]

bill ericay

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 10:41:57 AM »
Have a look here http://www.fitfreak.net/forums/esp_search.php?query=seat+back&ref=esp-nav-bar&type=all  as on the Fit forum there seem to be lots of possible solutions.
I used to have a Mazda MX3 which had a tilt position on the seat base , and I remember the salesman pointing out that the back of the seat cushion would be better for back problems when tilted higher-he was right, as you mentioned , if the seat tilts back you are forced into a position where a lot of weight is forced on the base of the spine.
The other solution I use when I travel in my wife's car is a wedge shaped travel cushion (from Aldi) which I use against the backrest, although you could use it on the seat  to tilt the back up.
When I bought my Jazz I had  a 2 hour test drive in the same model with no problems, so I was quite upset when I collected my new car which gave me back pain within half an hour- I can only assume the car I test drove had heavier drivers who had compressed the seat protrusions. Anyway, the seat mod I outlined in my first reply worked for me, and I now find the Jazz seat comfortable.
I wish you luck in your search for comfort.

guest4426

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 10:40:12 PM »
I fitted ep3 type r seats in my gd1 a long journeys use to cripple me, best mod I have done to my car

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 09:53:41 AM »
I sit very upright when driving (my seat back is more like 10deg from vertical) with arms fairly straight, and what is in seat back hardly bothers me - I find that a 'slouched' (seat back at a big angle) driving position very uncomfortable as the tendency is to slide forward and your body tenses up to stop this happening.  I also like to have back of legs clear of front of seat squab as well when feet in normal driving position as i find this gives better pedal control and is less tiring. 
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything