Author Topic: Cigarette lighter compatability?  (Read 8978 times)

guest5851

Cigarette lighter compatability?
« on: January 07, 2016, 06:02:10 PM »
Hi, I recently got a 56 Jazz 1.2 S, and have not yet found a 12v adapter that gets any power from the cigarette lighter. The lighter element itself heats up, but nothing else seems to draw any power through it. Is there a compatibility issue - funny shape or sth? Or do I need to replace it with a proper 12v auxiliary power socket? Would be reassuring to be able to plug things like my compressor in in an emergency ... and keep my mobile charged ...

Eddie Honda

• Approved Member
    • Jazz No1 fuel consumption
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2005 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7 & 2006 1.4i-DSI SE CVT-7
Re: Cigarette lighter compatability?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 06:29:31 PM »
Have you tried your compressor in it?

Be aware that if you have a doubler or trebler, the fuse in that may be blown by a compressor. (Done that myself  :-[ )

Mine has a lousy plug on it, but never have any trouble with the other stuff including phone chargers and USB chargers.

I use a Scosche USBC202M  (2x10W) , which fits snugly. I think now there is also the USBC242M (2x12W). A lot of cheapy adaptors of the same style don't have the same high output.

degzi

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Gd1
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 08:34:53 PM »
If it's heating cig lighter there's power there. I know on my 1.4 it's quite a snug fit I have to give things a good press in for them to work.

guest5851

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 09:23:00 AM »
I confess, I haven't tried the compressor yet, but when I plugged in the FM transmitter I used for hands-free and charging my phone in my previous car I initially got some power after some jiggling and twisting, but that soon faded, and I have not been able to repeat that feat. My phone charger does nothing. Since I thought there was a compatibility problem, I got a splitter off Amazon that specifically said it was compatible with Honda Jazz, thinking I could then plug other things into that, but it doesn't work either.

Having examined the contact area at the bottom of the socket, it looks very black. I have tried cleaning it with my finger wrapped in a wet-wipe, but this doesn't seem to have improved anything.

What I gather from your responses is that it should be compatible with standard charger designs, so maybe there is an issue in the contact area.

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 02:02:12 PM »
My bluetooth to FM re-transmitter works well, with it's springy tip and good side contacts.
My old dual USB charge adapter is sensitive to rotation, and only works in just the right place.

I was going to suggest the fuse, but as you can prove there is twelve volts, it must be down to the plug, cheap ones can be a bad fit.

'Very black' sounds like old ash from the lighter might be contaminating things, I might be able to get you a replacement socket next week, as I'm taking a couple of things from a salvage Jazz.
--
TG

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 04:47:22 PM »
Very black could also mean overheating has oxidised the centre contact and rendered it incapable of passing current properly,  you may need to try to clean if with some fine abrasive paper on a stick, or scrape with knife or end of a small flat screwdriver blade (with the ignition off as it may cause a short).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 11:41:42 PM »
This is the one I picked today, the clips on either side held it quite tight in the console, it is keyed so does not rotate, but it came out OK with the help of a small screwdriver. I cut the connector off as well in case it is different.  It may be easier to remove the console to gain access, if so then fitting a dedicated USB socket in the ample space may be worthwhile - the 12v power to the socket looks easy to tap into.  eBay - 12v 5v buck converter

If you want it, you can have it. It was £1, post unfortunately is £3 as it's too thick to be a letter.
--
TG

[attachment deleted by admin]

Tags: