Author Topic: 175 Tyres vs. 185 Tyres  (Read 5502 times)

mcjazz_

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2
175 Tyres vs. 185 Tyres
« on: November 22, 2023, 11:30:05 AM »
Hi All

Glad to be a new member here. I've had many Honda Jazz over the years and thought I should join a UK forum.

I have a 2013 Honda Jazz (Mk2), ES Plus. Tyres are 185/55/16 but they're rather expensive.

I am trying to determine if the better-priecd 175/55/16 is acceptable. I've read it is, but thought, in the context of the Jazz, I would ask here.

Does that sound workable? Any other recommended alternative size?

Or just bite the bullet and pay?

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
Re: 175 Tyres vs. 185 Tyres
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2023, 12:00:37 PM »
I think you mean 175/60/R16      .   If 175/55/R16 are available they are not  a common size. 

175/60/R16  have a rolling circumference 1.2% bigger  than 185/55/R16 so would be acceptable.     But an alternative  choice might be  195/55/R16   which ,from a quick check, are about the same price  as 175/60/R16 . 

Check out the following site that gives size comparisons  graphically

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Bear in mind that Insurance companies  might need to be informed  of a change in tyre size from standard
 if they are wider or narrower than normal.   

If you havnt considered them  before  I would recommend  all season tyres.  But I am a fan and possibly biased ;D
« Last Edit: November 22, 2023, 12:03:38 PM by Lord Voltermore »
  I will fix that dripping tap.  No need to keep reminding me every 3 months.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2023, 12:04:03 PM »
Welcome to the forum. :D

I would agree with Lord V. Check with your insurers before you go any further. Modifcations, and any change whatsoever from standard spec is a mod, are viewed in varying degrees by different underwriters. For some, normal terms may apply, for others it could be a straight decline. On that basis, I would advise leave as is imho.

mcjazz_

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2023, 12:25:24 PM »
Thanks folks!

An all-weather is certainly on the agenda, and a £150 extra today whilst not ideal, over the life of the tyre is pennies a week I suppose.

Sticking with what the car came with then.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2023, 03:57:59 PM »
If you look on the driver side door frame you'll spot the type size pressure sticker nr the bottom. The alternative size for the jazz being 175 65 15 thereby giving better value option . A search on E bay or even better your local breakers yard may well find a set of used wheels tyres

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2023, 12:22:13 PM »
If you look on the driver side door frame you'll spot the type size pressure sticker nr the bottom. The alternative size for the jazz being 175 65 15 thereby giving better value option . A search on E bay or even better your local breakers yard may well find a set of used wheels tyres
Although this does sound a drastic option it has advantages. There is a bigger choice of 15" tyres and they can be significantly cheaper than any 16" option.Even after the cost of some used 15" rims. 

But also long term advantages.  They could save 16" alloys from damage from salt and kerbing. Damaged alloys can knock a lot off trade in value.    Having the tread wear from two sets of wheels  may mean you dont have to buy a further set of new tyres  just before you sell the car  Trading a car in with nearly new  tyres doesnt add much ,if anything, to its value.    And when you sell the car you keep one set of wheels and tyres. They may fit your next car,and you can continue the same advantages.    . Or you can sell them .either the 15" set or 16" depending on the relative value of the car etc.      You may not get  much for them but  a few quid is better than nothing.
When I converted to all seasons on my Yaris  I had 2 almost new  premium brand summer tyres  . I got them put on tatty rims.       I sold them on E bay, for £30  , buyer collect ,to someone who needed to pass the MOT.  Saved him spending £100+ on two budget tyres.   
  I will fix that dripping tap.  No need to keep reminding me every 3 months.

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

• Trader
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2023, 07:59:19 PM »
Hi and welcome.
If you have any issues with insurance at all for a change of tyres then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

Tags: