Author Topic: First time car owner. Heatwave in the UK (30c) - any tips?  (Read 3077 times)

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
Re: First time car owner. Heatwave in the UK (30c) - any tips?
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2023, 12:20:12 PM »
In hot weather I usually open all the windows and put air-conditionning to max cooling. Then after couple of minutes the interior air has changed and also ventilation channels have cooled down an bit, then it's time to close the windows. And maybe switch the recirculation on. But eventually it's good idea to switch it back to fresh air intake for better air quality.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2023, 03:58:52 PM »
When I had my Volvo S40 the moment you switched to recirc it shut the air con off. Cancel the recirc and it automatically came back on!

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2023, 06:29:03 PM »
If you can't find any shade then it's better to have the back window (much smaller than the windscreen and may be tinted depending on model) facing the sun.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

GeoffW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2020 Jazz SR
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2023, 11:33:50 AM »
I feel the need to clarify or correct some points about recirculation and aircon!

Recirc does allow some fresh air to enter the cabin from outside.
All fresh (and I believe) recirculated air goes through the pollen filter.
The pollen filter will not necessarily remove all smells, but will remove harmful particles and pollen.
The size of particulates removed depends on the "grade" of the filter. Check if buying a filter what grade it is. Cheap might mean it doesn't filter fine particles. I assume the Honda one is OK.
If your screen mists up when using recirc it probably means you should switch on your aircon, or the aircon isn't working properly.
Aircon, either in auto mode or manual, should be used all the time - unless your windows are open. It doesn't just chill the air, it also removes moisture. If used all the time it will prevent your car smelling musty.
I have found in our Jazz mk4 that when the aircon is in auto and set at, say 19 or 20c (when it's hotter outside), the fan is going mad trying to maintain that temp, but if I switch to manual aircon Lo temp I can maintain a cool temp with a lower fan speed, ie it's quieter.
When you have your car serviced, ask if they checked the min temp of the aircon and what it was. They don't give you a written report like they used to! Ours was not blowing as cold as it should even though recently serviced, and when I insisted they check it, it was out of spec. They regassed it under warranty.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2023, 11:38:59 AM »
Agree with most of above but I've had interior misting on all my aircon cars on hot summer days when aircon has been on recirc for quite a while

The cars were all almost new so I just accepted it as a 'feature'

Aircon on all year rounf is a must in my opinion as well, it also protect the seals that can deteriorate if they dry out
« Last Edit: September 10, 2023, 11:41:28 AM by Kremmen »
Let's be careful out there !

GeoffW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2020 Jazz SR
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2023, 11:45:32 AM »
Good point about the seals in the aircon system. The "gas" includes a lubricant, and if the aircon isn't used for months the seals harden.

Tags: