Author Topic: What is your favourite malt whisky?  (Read 2106 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: What is your favourite malt whisky?
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2021, 02:36:12 PM »
About ten years ago I won a bottle of 41 year old Bunnahabhain. One of only 719 bottles, distilled in 1968 and bottled in 2008. I think it was worth about £150 when I won it and I did not want to waste it on my palette, so I put it away and forgot about it. A couple of years back, I had it valued at between £600 and £700. Now I REALLY don't know what to do with it. It's worth more than my old Jazz!
A few years ago I received an email from Ardbeg, offering me a special bottling, the first 10 of which would be signed by the distillery manager and the "nose", or whatever the expert that decides when to bottle a cask is called. I just placed my order there and then, so probably less than a minute from the original email being sent out. Lo and behold, I got a signed bottle. But I wanted it to drink. After a couple of minutes of debate with myself, I uncorked it and enjoyed the whisky. Don't know what a signed bottle would be worth now.

Mr 8

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Sport Navi
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2021, 09:05:27 AM »
The market in rare malt whisky has gone crazy. One shop in Scotland has a 1968 Bunnahabhain on sale for £2995. If you like drinking single malt I would sell the '68, put a few hundred to one side for quality but sensible buys and treat yourself and the family to something special. On the other hand, it is only going to increase in rarity and could well become even more valuable. I am currently enjoying a 15 yr old Glen Scotia: wholly recommended but probably not for absolute beginners.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2021, 03:26:34 PM »
£2995! 😱

Which shop may I ask?

Mr 8

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Sport Navi
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2021, 03:33:04 PM »
Royal Mile.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2021, 07:26:59 PM »
I am currently "swalleying" my way through a bottle of Dalwhinnie Winter's Gold. A nice smooth drop of whisky. It is "crafted by the cold", and, as this photo I took of the distillery in October shows. They get cold winters.

Saycol

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: MY21 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2021, 09:55:56 AM »
Highland Park is my firm favourite, but if you want to try something different then I would recommend a single cask whisky from The Scotch Malt Whisky Society (Leith, Edinburgh).

Tags:

anything