Author Topic: Any point upgrading 2 year old Crosstar?  (Read 1974 times)

Hicardo

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64mpg summer avg, 56mpg winter avg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Surf Blue 2021
Any point upgrading 2 year old Crosstar?
« on: April 15, 2023, 10:05:33 PM »
Ive been offered about the same as I paid for my 2 year old Crosstar by Honda dealer.  Noting the changes in spec that i've seen, ie very small changes, but massive increase in price for latest car, doesn't seem to be a lot point?

Agree?

jamjar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
Re: Any point upgrading 2 year old Crosstar?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2023, 10:49:57 PM »
Ive been offered about the same as I paid for my 2 year old Crosstar by Honda dealer.  Noting the changes in spec that i've seen, ie very small changes, but massive increase in price for latest car, doesn't seem to be a lot point?

Agree?
If you still have outstanding Honda finance on  your current car you might find you can get a brand new car with warrantee & a five year service plan for a reduced monthly payment than your existing finance as you would have paid a large chunk of your previous finance.

Marco1979

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Civic e:hev elegance 2024
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2023, 08:44:30 AM »
The differences seem small. If you like the new color and design changes and if it would be more refined to drive (it already is, afaik), you can decide whether it would be worth it for you.

Downside that I see: instead of depreciation of your current car you pay for inflation for a new one. What if prices drop in 1 or 2 years? Then depreciation and inflation might add up costing you more…

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2023, 10:23:22 AM »
When I change my car I don't get concerned about the price I am offered for my car.  I just concentrate on the cash difference between the old and the new and that is what I discuss with the dealer.  Then I decide whether I am willing to pay that amount to change.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2023, 10:44:37 AM »
+1 as they say
Let's be careful out there !

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2023, 11:17:57 AM »
The question remains: why exchange an almost new car for the same but new one after paying xxx £££ ?
Apparently you like the current one, otherwise you wouldn't consider the same (but new) one.
Oh... and one more question remains: would you have considered buying any new car if the dealer hadn't made you that offer? Or would you happily drive on in your current one?
If nothing goes right, go left!

Saycol

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: MY21 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2023, 11:21:58 AM »
I've always worked on the basis of "cost to change" . The difference between your P/Ex offer and a new car is going to be (guessing) about £4K. A lot of outlay for virtually the same car.   

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2023, 12:11:17 PM »
Dealers seem desperate to get their hands on 1 and 2 year old cars, even to the point of offering more than they were bought for.

Let's be careful out there !

Saycol

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: MY21 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2023, 12:20:57 PM »
Dealers seem desperate to get their hands on 1 and 2 year old cars, even to the point of offering more than they were bought for.

I think that’s partly because a) a used car is immediately available to a prospective customer (and therefore an  immediate sale for the Dealer) and b) they can make even more on used car finance than on a new car.

Hicardo

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2023, 01:53:56 PM »
 :D

Thanks for the responses!

Yeah im not really seriously thinking about trading in my Crosstar at 2 years old.  Id only do it if I was offered a deal I couldn't refuse.  And exactly, thats a cost to change situation.  And I really dont want to put any more cash in. 

Thats a huge price hike they've just done.!   25% ish?  Unbelievable.  I suppose they've benchmarked against the Yaris Cross.

BROC

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: MY24 ZR-V Advance
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2023, 01:27:27 PM »
A couple of weeks ago my dealer out of the blue offered to swap my 1 year old Jazz EX for a brand new Crosstar EX at a cost to me of an additional £4500.

I said no thanks, a week later he offered the same car reducing my contribution to £3500.   I said no thanks once again, if I had wanted a Crosstar I would have bought one a year ago..... I am very happy with the car I bought.

Jazzdriver

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 63 mpg
  • My Honda: 2014 1.4 ES+ CVT and 2022 Crosstar replacing 2021 Crosstar written off
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2023, 05:28:34 PM »
Looking on the Toyota website I noticed that the Rav 4 was no longer shown.  Eventually, I found a note somewhere of the website saying that the Rav 4 was sold out.  (It didn't say when this situation would change.)  It must be frustrating for dealers if they have customers wanting to buy a new car, but they can't get their hands on the model the customer wants.

Hicardo

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2023, 07:00:27 PM »
Agreed.  So clearly the new car crisis is not looking like being over for a while, and thats obviously keeping second hand prices really high. Plus some new cars have had massive price hikes. 

So the answer to my original question is a resounding NO  ::)

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2023, 07:55:07 PM »
It must be frustrating for dealers if they have customers wanting to buy a new car, but they can't get their hands on the model the customer wants.

That dealer can always send the client to a Honda dealer to have a look at a C-RV...  ;D
If nothing goes right, go left!

Tags: