Author Topic: changing spark plugs  (Read 7650 times)

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
changing spark plugs
« on: April 15, 2011, 06:34:58 PM »
how would you go about this on a 2009 on jazz as they are at the back with that big intake plastic box over the top, i hope the dealer goes in from underneath at the back rather than removing components
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 06:42:07 PM by monkeydave »

monkeydave

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
Re: changing spark plugs
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 11:16:27 AM »
the engine is in back to front plugs should be at the front and oil filter at the back like my old civic just stupid design i hope the clips on my new 2012 facelift model year jazz are improved since the mk2
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 11:18:04 AM by monkeydave »

guest3925

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 05:49:42 AM »
It's very easy to replace spark plugs. Just remove the top plastic cover, then using a spark plug drive bit remove the spark plugs. After that you need to gap the new spark plugs to 0.047 or buy pre gapped spark plugs. Rub some anti seize on the threads, put them carefully back there and tighten them using a torque wrench to 13 ft.lb. Be very gentle since the body is made of aluminum. Then put some dielectric grease in the coil plugs and put them back on spark plugs. Also don't forget to put back the plastic cover.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 11:24:37 AM »
Just make sure you buy modern iridium tipped long life plugs which last 75,000 miles and you will not need to do the job again for years.

guest1232

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 09:32:28 AM »
Have you done 75000 miles already?

jm0128

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2010
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2019, 07:55:26 PM »
It's very easy to replace spark plugs. Just remove the top plastic cover, then using a spark plug drive bit remove the spark plugs. After that you need to gap the new spark plugs to 0.047 or buy pre gapped spark plugs. Rub some anti seize on the threads, put them carefully back there and tighten them using a torque wrench to 13 ft.lb. Be very gentle since the body is made of aluminum. Then put some dielectric grease in the coil plugs and put them back on spark plugs. Also don't forget to put back the plastic cover.
Easy ? Your joking the jazz has the most awkward plugs to change I have seen in a long time . Wipers, plastic cover and metal plate all need removed and then the plugs are hidden at the back . Did mine yesterday - 1 and 1/2 hours and a few broken plastic fasteners. Tip wipers can be stuck , after bolts off , push in arms and move a bit to release them. Use a mirror and good light for plugs. Expect some muck to have gathered in the covers. At least only every 5 years as mentioned .
Cheers
James

plasma

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 mark 4
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2019, 09:27:33 AM »
Easy ? Your joking the jazz has the most awkward plugs to change I have seen in a long time . Wipers, plastic cover and metal plate all need removed and then the plugs are hidden at the back . Did mine yesterday - 1 and 1/2 hours and a few broken plastic fasteners. Tip wipers can be stuck , after bolts off , push in arms and move a bit to release them. Use a mirror and good light for plugs. Expect some muck to have gathered in the covers. At least only every 5 years as mentioned .
Cheers

+1, plugs a very big pain to do.

Plasma.

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2019, 10:39:59 AM »
the engine is in back to front plugs should be at the front and oil filter at the back like my old civic just stupid design i hope the clips on my new 2012 facelift model year jazz are improved since the mk2

Can't help wondering if it is done to deter DIYers and keep the dealership busy.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2019, 02:45:19 PM »

Can't help wondering if it is done to deter DIYers and keep the dealership busy.

It does makes you wonder sometimes.

If you think those plugs are awkward, you want to try an oil change on the Vauxhall 2 litre cdti, the oil filter is a paper cartridge type, and the housing tucked up in the offside wheelarch, just in the right place to drop all the oil on the driveshaft, CV joint and wishbone. You have to take the wheel off, and make a cardboard chute to channel the oil away and into a receptacle.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2019, 03:50:17 PM »
Worst job I ever had was a faulty valve on the heater matrix on a SAAB 99. I think the first thing on the production line was the heater matrix then the rest of the car was assembled round that.

Tags: