Author Topic: Never know what gear I am in!  (Read 3661 times)

Paul22118

• Oggy
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz auto Dec 2009
Re: Never know what gear I am in!
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2019, 04:39:21 PM »
Jocko, I don't think you are doing your gearbox many favours by chopping and changing gear selection in the way you are driving.  Progress through gears up the box should in my view be sequential as that always ensures you are in the correct gear for the moment.  If you are travelling at thirty mph and are only in fourth that is ok as long as you said hello to 2, and 3 on the way.  When coming down the gearbox however, it is a different matter and one should use the brakes to reduce speed and then complement the selection of gears when the desired speed is reached. The box is for progress not braking. Brake linings are cheaper to replace than a box that is used for reducing speed.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2019, 05:26:13 PM »
Why? The DSi engine is so torquey that there is little point in using 4th if it will pull smoothly in 5th. On a level road my car will pull happily in 5th from under 25 mph. So if I exceed 25 mph in 3rd, why go into 4th? I have to use 4th when road conditions demand, but on the level or on a down slope it is not necessary.
Even if I was abusing the engine by causing it to "lug" (which I don't), it would not be the gearbox that suffered.
I have been driving for 54 years, I was a bus driver, and have driven trucks as well. Selecting the appropriate gear at the appropriate time is more important than going through the gears sequentially. Perhaps one of our driving instructors would like to comment.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2019, 06:49:40 PM »
I agree with Jocko about skipping gears and often do it - what is the point of having to go sequentially up and down the box ? You have to change sequentially on a motorbike as it does not have a gate, but as for a car - you need to change sequentially going uphill, but on the flat / downhill just miss out the gears you don't need at the time. 
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2019, 04:29:08 PM »
I often miss gears on the Jazz as the ratios are so close, there's no mechanical reason why you would have to use every gear sequentially, so long as you're not labouring the engine as Jocko says.

As for the box being for progress and not for braking, do you not make use of engine braking? I wouldn't like to try that going downhill with a 4 ton trailer behind!

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2019, 05:32:18 PM »
As for the box being for progress and not for braking, do you not make use of engine braking? I wouldn't like to try that going downhill with a 4 ton trailer behind!
You should never change down on a trailing throttle (single biggest reason drivers fail the Institute of Advanced Motoring test). Selecting a lower gear with matching revs is fine. You then take your foot off the throttle and take advantage of the engine braking. I do that a lot to take advantage of Deceleration Fuel Cut Off.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2019, 05:31:41 PM »
You should never change down on a trailing throttle (single biggest reason drivers fail the Institute of Advanced Motoring test). Selecting a lower gear with matching revs is fine. You then take your foot off the throttle and take advantage of the engine braking. I do that a lot to take advantage of Deceleration Fuel Cut Off.

I tend to do that without even thinking, it makes the gear change seamless.

It seems obvious to say that you don't always hit the brakes when you want to slow down, but more and more, I often find myself wondering why the driver in front keeps braking when it's completely unnecessary.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2019, 06:26:08 PM »
It seems obvious to say that you don't always hit the brakes when you want to slow down, but more and more, I often find myself wondering why the driver in front keeps braking when it's completely unnecessary.
I think of it as being a failure on my part if I have to brake, when anticipation could have prevented it.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2019, 10:33:00 PM »
Toyota Hybrids have a ‘B’ setting which effectively is engine braking and energy recovery for battery charging. Mine doesn't but I can flick the lever over and select a low gear to achieve the same thing. In a hilly area like mine you really can’t be riding your brakes all the time, especially in wintry conditions, although a lot do.

Tags:

anything