Author Topic: Brake Pads  (Read 1343 times)

Geertz

• Approved Member
Brake Pads
« on: March 26, 2019, 08:55:47 PM »
Hi all,
Just to preface everything. My Jazz is the first car that I have owned and I have not really dealt with garages at all previously. I had a service and MOT last week and they raised a whole bunch of issues, but I told them that I would deal with them in my own time. It seems like they wanted to replace every thing in the car.

My front brakes received an advisory during the MOT. They are measuring around 3.5mm, so I have decided to replace them before I get too complacent about it. I have noticed, EuroCarParts have a 50% off sale on brake pads, so I will take advantage of this. I might also replace my rear pads at the same time because they are sitting at 6mm.

My questions are:
1) What make of brake pad from Eurocarparts have the best brake performance? Seems like Pagid, Mintex and Brembo cost a premium on the site.
2) Should I replace my rear brake pads at the same time?
3) How much do you think it would cost at a garage to get them do the labour of replacing the pads and possibly changing the brake fluid as well?

Cheers,
Will

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Brake Pads
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 09:27:41 PM »
1) You usually get what you pay for so the dearer pads are probably the better, since they are all from the same supplier.
2) I would probably leave the rear pads for a bit. 6mm is not too bad, and rear brakes don't wear as quickly as front pads.
3) Depends on the type of garage you use. I was a delivery driver for a local motor factor and there are dozens of good, independent, back street garages, who do a good job at a fraction of what a big garage will charge. Tell them what you have been quoted for parts and ask what they would charge to supply and fit the same parts. They will get discount on the parts from the motor factor they deal with, so can probably supply the parts for the price you have been quoted and still get a small mark up. They will then add on their labour.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
Re: Brake Pads
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 04:14:43 PM »
I fitted Brembo pads front and rear  after 30k miles on the original factory ones..Braking is less fierce .. pad wear after 7k miles appear negligible. 50% from ECP..

Tags:

anything