Author Topic: Groaning exterior mirror  (Read 1550 times)

TopDown

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 EX
Groaning exterior mirror
« on: March 06, 2017, 05:03:56 PM »
The nearside mirror has started 'groaning' when electrically folded. Took a close look and there's the merest hint of a graze on it that wasn't there a few days ago. I assume somebody's caught it with their own mirror in the supermarket car park.

Spraying WD40 behind the mirror quietened it back to normal - but of course it all blew out along the side of the car after a run on the motorway.

Anything else I could use? A silicone grease or spray wax of some sort? It needs to have some 'body' to keep itself in place but sprayable through a WD40-type tube to get behind the mirror and down into the mechanism.

(Spraying into the swivel joint between the mirror and base didn't make any difference at all!)

guest1372

Re: Groaning exterior mirror
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 05:31:46 PM »
Something that won't wash out like vaseline might work, the joint should be slightly sprung so you can tease a bit in with the edge of a credit card perhaps.
--
TG

TopDown

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 EX
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 07:04:31 PM »
Seems the WD40's done the trick anyway  :D

guest6764

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 07:01:02 PM »
If it was my mirror I'd have a serious word with it on the basis that it should reflect on the fact that looking backwards & moaning & groaning won't get it anywhere

Tags:

anything