Author Topic: Battery Charging  (Read 5238 times)

jonathan

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4SE
Battery Charging
« on: June 10, 2016, 12:48:02 PM »
Just seen this on a premium motoring website:-

A conditioning float charger automatically assesses the battery and maintains it at a constant 13.5 volts. It can safely be hooked up without disconnecting the battery. A trickle charger is effectively a slow charger, and the battery has to be disconnected or the process might fry components such as the ECU

Is this true?

As my Jazz is not used much and I leave it on trickle charge the battery connected to car.

Any thoughts...

guest1372

Re: Battery Charging
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 02:42:01 PM »
We have the MX-5 on an intelligent Oxford charger seems to work fine without disconnecting the battery. Only caution is routing the cable so you can't forget about it before backing out of the garage.

I don't think a dumb trickle charger would do any damage at all either, as most components are isolated by ignition and relays when parked up, plus the alternator is effectively a charger and that does no harm to components while driving. A full battery would not take any charge from a basic trickle charger, although a faulty battery might draw currents higher than desired.
--
TG

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 02:50:04 PM »
I have always thought that a high amperage 'booster charger' (quick charger) has a high voltage (about 18 volts) to 'flood' current into a battery quickly,  and a trickle charger has a lower voltage (less than 14V)  to well,  for want of a better word 'trickle' current into a battery - the lower the voltage difference between the normal 12.0 to 12.6 and the charger voltage,  the less  current flows into the battery. 

The difference between a conditioning charger and a trickle charger is very small.  I can see that 18 volts available from a high output charger would fry some components because highest charging voltage seen by system normally is about 14.8 volts.  I have used a trickle charger many times on both motorbike and car batteries without disconnecting them (in fact I have a two pin plug on a flying lead permanently connected to motorbike battery to connect the charger to save keep taking seat on and off to access battery).  Only thing I wold say was to connect the  charger leads to battery before plugging charger into mains socket to avoid any potential voltage spikes.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 02:51:48 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

longlegpete

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Better Half's Jazz Sport 1.4 2007, MY Jazz 1.4 Ex 2009 And Another 1.4EX 2009
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 10:26:35 AM »
I have always thought that a high amperage 'booster charger' (quick charger) has a high voltage (about 18 volts) to 'flood' current into a battery quickly,  and a trickle charger has a lower voltage (less than 14V)  to well,  for want of a better word 'trickle' current into a battery - the lower the voltage difference between the normal 12.0 to 12.6 and the charger voltage,  the less  current flows into the battery. 

The difference between a conditioning charger and a trickle charger is very small.  I can see that 18 volts available from a high output charger would fry some components because highest charging voltage seen by system normally is about 14.8 volts.  I have used a trickle charger many times on both motorbike and car batteries without disconnecting them (in fact I have a two pin plug on a flying lead permanently connected to motorbike battery to connect the charger to save keep taking seat on and off to access battery).  Only thing I wold say was to connect the  charger leads to battery before plugging charger into mains socket to avoid any potential voltage spikes.

Would agree 100%, its the high current of some chargers that can damage electrical components, I use the same, fly leads for fast conections on all my bikes, sometimes they are left on all year without problems,  have also done the same with the jazzes for a few months at a time without problems 

plasma

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 mark 4
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 01:50:45 PM »

Would agree 100%, its the high current of some chargers that can damage electrical components, I use the same, fly leads for fast conections on all my bikes, sometimes they are left on all year without problems,  have also done the same with the jazzes for a few months at a time without problems

+1, yes I do the same with my bikes and Jazz, never had a problem.

Plasma.

Tags:

anything