Author Topic: Blind spot  (Read 5416 times)

edam

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.3 SE CVT
Blind spot
« on: March 31, 2016, 07:52:04 PM »
I have found the hardway that there is a blind spot on the rear offside corner on a MK2
I did not see the post that I hit in either the rear view mirror or the offside wing mirror and that's even after I hit it.
The parking sensors did not alert me to it either.
I have been thinking about upgrading to a MK3 and I wish I had.  The rear view mirror on the MK3 covers the whole of the rear screen so does not appear to have the same blind spot

guest5770

Re: Blind spot
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 07:42:13 AM »
I used to have something like this some years ago in the days before reversing sensors. Worked quite well.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wide-Angle-Reversing-Lens-SEP1-Rear-Window-Parking-Aid-/281729587452?hash=item41986458fc:m:msgEGSbI3Ecc1IFwyix5Pbg

edam

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 10:36:31 AM »
I have been checking the parking sensors this morning . They are after market ones, not Honda, and are not spaced as far apart as the Honda ones. The  nearside and offside Honda sensors are fitted closer to the side of the car and higher . I believe they would have detected the offending post.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 10:45:10 AM by edam »

edam

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 09:39:45 PM »
Whats annoying is that I intended to P/X the MK 2 and buy a new Mk 3 in a couple of months time.
I have put a insurance claim in but I'm wondering if it would be better to take the loss on the P/x.
My no claims bonus is insured but the premium is bound to go up.
Just thinking aloud but any comments

longlegpete

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Better Half's Jazz Sport 1.4 2007, MY Jazz 1.4 Ex 2009 And Another 1.4EX 2009
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 10:13:19 PM »
I guess it all depends on the amount of damage and the repair costs,  for me if the repair costs were say £400 you are probably better taking it on the nose and getting it done or getting the equivalent amount taken off you part ex.

If we are talking loads more then insurance may be the way to go, one thing i have found when claiming on insurance is if you let them know something has happened and you subsequently dont may a claim they log it as one anyway! , happened to us with house insurance when we were burgled so would be worth checking before you make you mind up

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 11:06:45 PM »
I have been checking the parking sensors this morning . They are after market ones, not Honda, and are not spaced as far apart as the Honda ones. The  nearside and offside Honda sensors are fitted closer to the side of the car and higher . I believe they would have detected the offending post.

I have recently had after market sensors fitted. They work very well!

The Fitter, dropped off the rear bumper, and drilled through the Honda location positions.......

I would have preferred the straight line pattern, as shown in the advert........
David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

edam

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 04:23:15 PM »
I guess it all depends on the amount of damage and the repair costs,  for me if the repair costs were say £400 you are probably better taking it on the nose and getting it done or getting the equivalent amount taken off you part ex.

If we are talking loads more then insurance may be the way to go, one thing i have found when claiming on insurance is if you let them know something has happened and you subsequently dont may a claim they log it as one anyway! , happened to us with house insurance when we were burgled so would be worth checking before you make you mind up

I have checked this this morning and you are right that even though I don't claim they still log it so I have gone ahead with the claim

edam

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2016, 12:49:58 PM »
My car is back from the body shop and I'm wondering about getting a rear parking camera fitted.
Has anybody had one fitted to a Mk2?

applicationcen

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 Jazz EX i-Shift
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2016, 04:12:40 PM »
My car is back from the body shop and I'm wondering about getting a rear parking camera fitted.
Has anybody had one fitted to a Mk2?

I have used audible and camera systems.

The audible ones are my preference. Cameras get wet / moisture on the lens and the Honda screens dont work well in daylight ambient conditions and generally I don't get a feel for the real distance.

Audio is cheap and you can look outside the car, where you should be looking, while listening to the beeps.

IMHO :)

edam

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2016, 08:05:10 PM »
Trying to send a photo of the post that jumped out of the ground and hit my car
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 08:39:50 PM by edam »

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2016, 08:20:59 PM »
trying to remember how to post a photo
Use "+Attachments and other options" which is under the box where you type your message.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

edam

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2016, 08:38:31 PM »

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2016, 10:21:46 PM »
Your picture reminds me of incidents with a British Leyland Princess in the car park of a hotel in Roker (Sunderland) and a VW Passat and a lamp-post in Workington.  And then within weeks of buying a new Mk II Jazz in 2008 and paying extra for rear sensors, I reversed into a decorator's van on my own front drive.  No technology will outwit Murphy's law. Going backwards is inherently risky!

Tags: