Author Topic: Courtesy car ES plus.  (Read 10224 times)

bill ericay

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Civic Sport 1.8 Orchid White
Re: Courtesy car ES plus.
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2016, 07:32:16 PM »
I road tested a Civic 1.8 a couple of months ago, and didn't find it as fast as I thought it should be, so I posted on the Civic forum and said my Jazz felt faster  and had a few Civic owners replying that they had had underpowered Jazzes as Courtesy cars. So I had another road test, treated the Civic as a Jazz and revved the engine and ended up with a smile on my face . After 2 more long test drives I part exchanged my Jazz for a Civic 1.8 Sport which I have had for about a week.
The Jazz is a brilliant, very practical , comfortable, spacious, very economical  large /small car , the best in it class in my opinion.

But the Civic makes me smile. :)

And it's still a Honda!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 07:34:30 PM by bill ericay »

Alan

• Approved Member
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2016, 07:38:10 PM »
I had 5 joyous years with my auto Civic I found it totally reliable and total fun, my Wife however would not drive it as she said it had too much power for her so we went back to a Jazz which is a great car but I do miss my Civic :(

guest5505

• Topic Starter
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2016, 08:22:20 PM »
I had 5 joyous years with my auto Civic I found it totally reliable and total fun, my Wife however would not drive it as she said it had too much power for her so we went back to a Jazz which is a great car but I do miss my Civic :(

which model/era of Civic, out of interest?

Alan

• Approved Member
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2016, 04:08:40 PM »
Got it new in March 2007 and it was a i shift ES model with panoramic roof etc in Milano red. Never had a moment of trouble and I must admit that I used to find excuses just to go out and drive it which I was told was childish for a 67 year old (my Wife's words) , great fun though.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 07:22:00 PM by Alan »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2016, 05:13:20 PM »
I road tested a Civic 1.8 a couple of months ago, and didn't find it as fast as I thought it should be, so I posted on the Civic forum and said my Jazz felt faster  and had a few Civic owners replying that they had had underpowered Jazzes as Courtesy cars. So I had another road test, treated the Civic as a Jazz and revved the engine and ended up with a smile on my face . After 2 more long test drives I part exchanged my Jazz for a Civic 1.8 Sport which I have had for about a week.
The Jazz is a brilliant, very practical , comfortable, spacious, very economical  large /small car , the best in it class in my opinion.

But the Civic makes me smile. :)

And it's still a Honda!

140 Brake horse and 8.3 seconds 0 - 60 - why did you think the Civic was under-powered ?   revs to 7K for a reason  :D

Below about 3K the Honda 1.8 is 'Atkinson cycle' where the inlet valves stay open after TDC and some of the charge gets pushed back into inlet manifold,  this both lowers the compression ratio and reduces 'pumping losses'.  All that changes above 3K though and that's when you start smiling,  the 6 speed box is a joy to use as well. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_advanced_technology
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 05:59:21 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2016, 12:27:16 PM »
140 Brake horse and 8.3 seconds 0 - 60 - why did you think the Civic was under-powered ?   revs to 7K for a reason  :D

Below about 3K the Honda 1.8 is 'Atkinson cycle' where the inlet valves stay open after TDC and some of the charge gets pushed back into inlet manifold,  this both lowers the compression ratio and reduces 'pumping losses'.  All that changes above 3K though and that's when you start smiling,  the 6 speed box is a joy to use as well. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_advanced_technology
Interesting.... I've seen Atkinson cycle mentioned in reviews of the Mk 3 Jazz. It probably explains why the CVT version likes to rev the engine when pulling away.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

bill ericay

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Civic Sport 1.8 Orchid White
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2016, 03:48:08 PM »

I'm afraid on my first test drive I drove it like a granny .

On the second and subsequent drives I drove it properly!

guest5247

• Topic Starter
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2016, 08:43:34 AM »
It is very dramatic as it sweeps back like a bond villian's  gadget, so I showed it off the first time I could.
I had passengers front and back - they were all cooking under the heat of the sun!

Never used since!

I use it the other way round.

The cover is closed as a sun blind to block the heat of the sun on the glass but open to have the benefit of light when it is cooler/ overcast. It is a delight.

I think the Americans call the glass roof a "moon light".

Love my glass roof , light and bright with sunshine.

If too hot,  put air con on.

Or open windows,  loads of fresh air out there  :D

Still having issues with performance though and nothing from Honda in 3 weeks.

Guess it'll be a visit to dealership again,  they just don't want to know.

I could overtake with the courtesy car easily with the Es + ,not a chance with mine....unless i seriously down shift and just floor it. :o

applicationcen

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 Jazz EX i-Shift
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2016, 09:29:48 AM »
You do have to get used to revving that engine around 4 k rpm or above to get the performance.

At low revs only half of the input ports inject fuel. There is a magic spot I think at about 3k Revs where the others open up. You can push towards red line the engine it is built for that.

guest5247

• Topic Starter
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2016, 09:59:41 AM »
You do have to get used to revving that engine around 4 k rpm or above to get the performance.

At low revs only half of the input ports inject fuel. There is a magic spot I think at about 3k Revs where the others open up. You can push towards red line the engine it is built for that.

Ah.....thank you for that,  need to get used to useing my right foot more then  :D

Tags: