Author Topic: Brake Problems (GD Sport)  (Read 10554 times)

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
Re: Brake Problems (GD Sport)
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2013, 10:42:49 AM »
I always replace brake fuid every two years. I tend to keep cars for 10+ years and water in brake fluid corrodes the insides of pipes, cylinders etc..Over time.

Never had brake problems in the past 40 years through boiling fluid despite some very fast and prolonged descents down Scottish mountains.

(I had brake fade in a  drum braked Rover - which was seriously scary and smelly and required use of the handbrake to slow down .. and a 30 minute wait for the drums to cool down from red hot!)

SuperCNJ

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2014, 10:55:49 AM »
Ok, just a little update.

I've fitted the Pagid discs now and they feel a tad better in terms of braking performance but still could be a lot better. They took the usual 30miles or so to wear in, but now I can feel they're biting a bit better than the old discs. However, when I try to do a hard emergency brake I still can't get the tyres to skid or ABS to engage - no matter how hard I press on the pedal.

Our service is not due until April, and we've just passed the MOT. So Honda advised that if nothing came up on the MOT it should be ok to wait until the service (unless we felt something was significantly wrong).

I drive a 135i and had a Civic Type-R previously so it could be that I'm asking too much from the little jazz, but I would have thought that you should be able to at least get the tyres to skid or ABS to engage on any car?

Are you guys able to skid the tyres or get the ABS to kick in, in your GDs?

SuperCNJ

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2014, 12:34:04 PM »
Ok, just thought I'd update this thread for the benefit of others who may have this problem.

I had the jazz serviced over the weekend and as part of the service I asked the mechanic to bleed the brakes and put in some new fluid. This seemed to have cured the problem. Before, the pedal was very spongey and I couldn't get the car to brake hard no matter how hard I pressed on the pedal.

Seems like there must have been some air/water in the line somewhere.

Glad I had it done, and although the braking performance for such a light car is nothing to write home about, it is certainly a lot better than it was.  :)

Tags: