Author Topic: 'ECO' dashboard Indication  (Read 11944 times)

guest3895

'ECO' dashboard Indication
« on: April 06, 2013, 07:25:20 PM »
Hi,

Does anybody see the point of the 'ECO' light indication that pops on and off on the Jazz GE dashboard? It is supposed to indicate when I am driving economically, but I find it very annoying. 90% of my driving style is determined by traffic, road and weather conditions and other factors beyond my control. But I do know how to drive a car economically when possible and don't need a light indication to tell me (the mpg indicator does that job anyhow). I do find it distracting because my eye is momentarily drawn to it every time it flashes on. Does anybody know if it can be easily de-activated? My previous car, a 2011 Civic, had 5 or 6 tiny lights that indicated the level of economy, which was much better and less distractive.

Thanks,  Geoff 

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
Re: 'ECO' dashboard Indication
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 08:19:49 PM »
The nanny state even extends to cars it seems.  You are lucky there is not a Japanese voice saying "slow down, fuel useage too heavy"!

There is such a voice warning devices on motorised cranes to warn the operator he might be attempting something stupid

What about a piece of masking tape?
If music be the food of love, play on

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 05:58:34 AM »
i agree 100%, I would love to hear if there is a way of turning it off, though I don't notice it as much as I did when I first got the car.

guest1521

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 09:56:47 AM »
A small, carefully cut piece of black insulation tape. I've stuck that over an offending light on a car pre-Jazz. Just stuck it on the binnacle plastic. Easy. Though personally I don't mind, in fact I quite like the 'eco-light'. But that's personal preference.

I'm much more bugged by not having a rheostat to dim the whole of the 'central console.' I find that area too bright at night much preferring interior lighting as dim as possible. At least I can dim the speedo, rev counter, fuel gauge. Would much prefer blue rather than orange appearance, too. But we do quite a lot of night motoring.

uovouvou

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX with Premium Pack
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 04:34:37 PM »
I get annoyed by the gearchange lights on my 2009 Jazz, but I had a 2012 Jazz courtesy car and I found the ECO light even more annoying for some reason! 

Defender

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 1.4 EX CVT
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 08:34:03 PM »
I have to disagree with this :o, I find it useful to be able to adjust my driving to be more or less economical, one of the main reasons I bought the Jazz is for it's economy :D.
If you want to ignore it then do so or using higher revs in lower the gears, the choice is yours.
I have other vehicles I can use if/when I feel the 'need for speed' 8).
2011 1.4 EX CVT in Metalic Mushroom (Urban Titanium).

guest3895

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 01:12:25 PM »
I have to disagree with this :o, I find it useful to be able to adjust my driving to be more or less economical, one of the main reasons I bought the Jazz is for it's economy :D.
If you want to ignore it then do so or using higher revs in lower the gears, the choice is yours.
I have other vehicles I can use if/when I feel the 'need for speed' 8).

As my car is a 1.4 EX CVT (auto) and I don't use the 'S' gear setting or the steering wheel paddles, the 'ECO' indication does seem pointless. When road, traffic and weather conditions permit I use the cruise control which gives me very economical motoring. I didn't think that I would use this facility but, now I have had the car for a few weeks, I find myself using it more and more.

Cheers,  Geoff 

Defender

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 1.4 EX CVT
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 07:21:20 PM »
As my car is a 1.4 EX CVT (auto) and I don't use the 'S' gear setting or the steering wheel paddles, the 'ECO' indication does seem pointless. When road, traffic and weather conditions permit I use the cruise control which gives me very economical motoring. I didn't think that I would use this facility but, now I have had the car for a few weeks, I find myself using it more and more.
Cheers,  Geoff 
[/quote]

Geoff,
I have exactly the same model as you, a 1.4 EX CVT, I do use the 'S' gear mode and paddles from time to time, even then the ECO indicator comes into play, I also have a ScangaugeII which I use to monitor other engine parameters, maybe I just like lots of information as I spent many years working in instrumentation ;D.
Yes, the cruise control is great, I had in on my last car, which had a manual 'box so the revs stayed the same, it's a bit unnerving at first to feel, hear and see the revs rise when the gradient changes altough the speed stays constant :o.

2011 1.4 EX CVT in Metalic Mushroom (Urban Titanium).

guest3895

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 11:57:09 AM »
Thanks Defender,

I chose the EX CVT because my previous car, the 2011 Civic, was no longer suitable for us. I have recently become partially disabled and my wife is returning to driving after 5 years (thanks to corneal transplants). The rear view from the Civic was abysmal and the sports suspension did not suit today's (sadly) potholed roads. The 'sit up and beg' driving position suits us both and the Jazz ride is more comfortable.

Oddly, the things about the Jazz that I did not think I would like or want have turned out to be our favourites - the huge panoramic (but fixed) sunroof, the cruise control etc. I do miss the cigarette lighter - we don't smoke, but we had a rechargeable little torch that plugged into the lighter and was always ready for use - it won't fit into the power outlet socket.

It had to be a Honda though as we love the magic seats, especially as we sometimes have a wheelchair on board. All in all, a very sound buy and we are very happy with our little car.

Cheers,  Geoff   :) :) :)   

guest3949

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 09:18:52 PM »
 :D
I was quite suprised that my ECO light came on when I engaged cruise control on the motorway

speedo indicated 80mph but sat nav said 74mph.The mpg readout on the dash came out at 45.9  which considering there was three people in the car is not bad.

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 09:36:51 PM »
:D
I was quite suprised that my ECO light came on when I engaged cruise control on the motorway

speedo indicated 80mph but sat nav said 74mph.The mpg readout on the dash came out at 45.9  which considering there was three people in the car is not bad.

my speed is exactly the same on the clock and sat nav, my civic was 4mph slower on the clock but had 16" wheels with 50 profile tyres not 55 but my jazz has standard 15" steel wheels

Tags:

anything