Author Topic: Brake Master Cylinder  (Read 17325 times)

Onoff

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 i-VTEC
Brake Master Cylinder
« on: December 09, 2023, 09:34:42 PM »
Evening,

After my introductory post ref my son's new MK2 I find myself posting here.

I drove the car briefly when first viewing it then drove it home. Usually I'd have the BiL look it over but he was on holiday. There was a little noise when braking which I thought was rust on the discs where it hadn't been driven for a while. I then thought the brakes were OK but thinking back they were maybe a little spongey if that's the right word.

The BiL had a look today and it turns out it needs a new brake master cylinder! :(

BiL reckons it's odd as it's clearly been recently serviced properly with 4 new tyres, new discs etc.

So now to find a new master cylinder.

Any makes to avoid or anything to watch out for?

Thanks

GBH

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 1.4 EX Auto
Re: Brake Master Cylinder
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2023, 08:07:36 AM »

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2023, 10:31:06 AM »
Before you press the £ button, have a look back over the cars MOT history via the govt website, look for advisory comments re brakes. Any service history old invoices? Again check what's been done past 3 yes.
I would recommend brake fluid change before going down the route if parts. Enjoy the Jazz good choice of model.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2023, 04:53:28 PM »
Not sure how the diagnosis was done,  it's pretty unusual these days for master cylinders to need replacing unless it's clearly leaking for example.
First thing would always be a fluid change,  it's very often long overdue. If it's been done but not competently you might need to get the ABS into a service mode to purge air.

Onoff

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2023, 08:28:28 PM »
When I drove the car it felt like you could brake...and then brake again maybe? Spongey maybe?  Tbh it didn't feel terrible, I just figured it was that I wasn't used to the car.

The BiL drove it and said it's the master cylinder.

Onoff

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2023, 08:29:49 PM »
Not sure how the diagnosis was done,  it's pretty unusual these days for master cylinders to need replacing unless it's clearly leaking for example.
First thing would always be a fluid change,  it's very often long overdue. If it's been done but not competently you might need to get the ABS into a service mode to purge air.

Thanks. How do you get the ABS into a service mode?

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2023, 08:31:43 PM »
I had a look about for new master cylinders. Not many aftermarket ones made, even Autodoc only list about 4. If it is the master cylinder, maybe the main dealer do a rebuild kit?

Google the part number and see what you can find.

If you are tight for £, I did see lots of second hand ones on Ebay. It's an option. Some reputable breakers do test before breaking and warrant the part.

Onoff

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2023, 09:03:53 PM »
I had a look about for new master cylinders. Not many aftermarket ones made, even Autodoc only list about 4. If it is the master cylinder, maybe the main dealer do a rebuild kit?

Google the part number and see what you can find.

If you are tight for £, I did see lots of second hand ones on Ebay. It's an option. Some reputable breakers do test before breaking and warrant the part.

This part number I think:

46100 tf0 e51

Onoff

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2023, 06:47:39 AM »
Gone right through the service history here. Brake fluid was last changed it seems in Sept 2015 at 15000 miles by the Honda dealer i.e 3 years after registration. Every 3 years is the recommended interval it seems.

Thereafter they appear to have it regularly serviced by a local garage, annually. Only appears to have engine oil changes, oil, cabin and air filters along with brake components as in discs & pads.

I did try a cheap brake fluid tester:

https://flic.kr/p/2pmko3r

Just had the yellow lights alternating when in the fluid:

https://flic.kr/p/2pmko3B

« Last Edit: December 13, 2023, 07:57:01 AM by Onoff »

GBH

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2023, 08:42:28 AM »
You seem to have a "cat" problem LOL:D

Mine are currently asleep having just had their breakfasts.  (Suggest you edit your post to remove personal photographs)'

Cheers

Onoff

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2023, 03:21:39 PM »

Mine are currently asleep having just had their breakfasts.  (Suggest you edit your post to remove personal photographs)'

Cheers

? Doesn't it just take you to a photo on my Flickr account? Nothing on there I don't mind being public but thanks.

Onoff

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2023, 06:06:25 PM »
After much searching and ringing around factors and dealers I've just been and paid for what I've been repeatedly assured is a complete brake master cylinder. Part Number H01462SDBA02.

After a quick search back home I reckon all that is is a seal kit!

Guess I'll find out in a couple of days.

GBH

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2023, 06:09:51 PM »

Cheers

? Doesn't it just take you to a photo on my Flickr account? Nothing on there I don't mind being public but thanks.

I have no problem with what you posted but thought you might be unaware that the link was to what appeared to be a file that included personal photographs.  :)

Tags: