Author Topic: Things to look for when buying MK2  (Read 1184 times)

pincho

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 VTEC ES 2009
Things to look for when buying MK2
« on: September 07, 2022, 12:03:43 PM »
Hey everyone, this is my first post on this forum.

I've put a deposit down on a 2009 MK2 1.4 i-VTEC ES with just under 60k miles, part service history, 2 owners, price a bit under 4k. Getting it delivered next week.

I haven't had a chance to view or test drive the car in person because I'm out of the country and needed to close on a deal before my arrival next week.

After a lot of back and forward with the trade seller, a virtual viewing, the usual background checks and their stellar reviews I felt satisfied to go ahead with it

My question is what are the most important things to look for when I receive the car and before signing the deal?

Also is it worth getting a pre-purchase inspection considering the amount it's worth etc?

I know rust is an issue with this type of car and this car does come from up north. MOT history shows 2 years ago it failed with the following issue:

Offside Rear integral body structure or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of a body mounting Outer sill (6.2.2 (d) (i))

6 days later the MOT passed so it seems like the issue was resolved, but there is no paperwork for it which concerns me.

Since then it's gone through another 2 MOTs with clean passes, last one was done by the trader.

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 12:06:00 PM by pincho »

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
Re: Things to look for when buying MK2
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2022, 12:21:25 PM »
...The only rust I had on my Mk2 was a small amount on the rear offside wheel arch. This was a 2010 EX with mileage of 145k.

1 nearside drop link was replaced once and I had a second hand aircon compressor after 5 years, aircon was on everyday though. I don't know what are the common things to look out for as this was about all I had done in the 11 years I owned it  8)

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2022, 03:49:00 PM »
Would not touch it.
Cheap nasty repair, lots of underseal..bound to recur.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2022, 04:04:16 PM »
Would not touch it.
Cheap nasty repair, lots of underseal..bound to recur.

Another 2 mot's since the rust though. Could have been an over zealous MOT tester, some of them do get rather carried away.

With regard to inspecting a Jazz. They are robust cars, a safe bet in the used market.

I had a Focus that I sold a few years ago that was inspected by the RAC at the buyers cost. All they did was check everything electical, give it a decent road test up to 60mph and check for obvious leaks under the bonnet. Common sense stuff really. If you do the same, you shouldn't go far wrong. Certainly wouldn't waste my money on an inspection if you have a reasonable knowledge of motors.

As you've completed the sale remotely, I believe it gives you enhanced protection under consumer rights eg distant selling.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/how-to-reject-a-car-your-consumer-rights/

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/how-to-buy-a-new-or-used-car/#what-to-look-out-for

GBH

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 1.4 EX Auto
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2022, 04:13:13 PM »
For some reason my reply to this thread has disappeared???

Definitely get a third party pre-purchase inspection.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2022, 05:40:39 PM »
Walk away if in doubt, 6 out of 10 used have hidden history.

Tags: