Author Topic: Does Crosstar rust faster?  (Read 1010 times)

Eros

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Crosstar e:hev 2022 Premium Sunlight White
Does Crosstar rust faster?
« on: February 17, 2022, 09:05:31 PM »
I was just wondering..
Could the extra plastic decoration on the Crosstar trap water over time and cause the body to rust faster?

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance Sport
Re: Does Crosstar rust faster?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2022, 09:35:10 PM »
I was just wondering..
Could the extra plastic decoration on the Crosstar trap water over time and cause the body to rust faster?
I'm on my 3rd Jazz and never had a spot of rust on any of them. I'd have thought the plastic sills and wheel arch protectors are there to help protect against rust, can't see how they'd make things worse.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2022, 04:04:35 AM »
Civics have had plastic arches since 2006 and no rust problems on those.

Galvanised metal has put that old problem to bed.
Let's be careful out there !

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2022, 11:16:47 AM »

I wish!
Our 2003 Toyota Yaris D4D was galvanised from new.
Made in Japan.

At the rear and  along the inner sills running from front to rear, the original paint/underseal has worn away exposing the galvanising. As the zinc is sacrificial, it started to wear away, showing rust developing under what zinc was left.
I have treated it all with Dinitrol to stop further corrosion.
(Porsche 911s were galvanised for c 1975 iirc and still corrode when the galvanising wears off)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2022, 01:13:57 PM »

https://www.differencebetween.com/difference-between-zintec-and-galvanised/

Vehicle bodies have been made all over the world with electro Zinc coated steel ( Zintec) for a long time now, it is normally only used 'below the waist' - Zintec is different proper galvanising ( hot dip,  like Volvo / Saab  used to do up to bottom of door windows - or the 'waist' of a vehicle ) as the electro zinc  layer of zinc is uniform and paintable ( it can be hard to get paint to stick to hot-dip galv ) , and only about 50 microns thick, so needs protection by painting.  Subframes and Suspension parts are normally given quite a thick electrophoretic coating     https://www.surfaceprocessing.co.uk/classic-vehicle-solutions/electrophoretic-coating-system/

Plastic parts do not rust in themselves and are good to protect from stone damage,  but they can trap water ( a rust point on jazz is the gap where plastic bumper moulding meets the wheel-arch.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: