Author Topic: Two days old and a warning light has appeared  (Read 1911 times)

Haderach

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX Style
Two days old and a warning light has appeared
« on: October 11, 2022, 11:18:35 PM »
Hello All,

I picked up my new Jazz EX Style from the dealer two days ago, 63 miles now on the clock. I am loving this car, however on my way home from work and amber tyre pressure light came on. I pulled over, completed a visual check and everything seemed fine, went to the nearest garage checked the pressures and again all fine. I recalibrated and the warning went away. Tonight went on a short journey and at the end the same light came on.

My question is do I need to worry or is this an expected new car issue. I have emailed the dealer but don't expect to hear back until tomorrow.

Many Thanks for any advice you may have.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Two days old and a warning light has appeared
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2022, 11:26:53 PM »
From what I have read on here this seems to be an issue with new tyres. I believe calibration needs a longish run. One of the Mk 4 owners will be able to answer your question in more detail.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2022, 11:54:06 PM »
If it's anything like the mk.3 system, you probably don't need to worry (yet).

I had this on my mk.3 a few times after I bought the car, it had 1500mls on it and hadn't been in regular use for a while.

I'd suggest putting a few more miles on your car to get the tyres settled in. Then reset the TPMS and set the tyre pressures when they are cold, being as careful as you can to get them exactly at the pressures you want to use. It doesn't actually matter what the pressures are, it will learn the wheel rotations to expect, it's just that as and when you pump them up you need to get back to that same pressure for the system to be happy. I use a gauge which reads to 0.1psi and set them all to 33psi just to keep things as simple as possible.
Since using my car a bit more regularly and being careful about setting the pressures, I haven't had a TPMS warning in ages.
If after a few hundred miles you are still getting warnings after checking pressures and resetting as necessary, there may be an issue.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2022, 05:09:18 AM »
Ideally the TPMS needs about 15 miles, in one journey, taking in left and right hand bends to fully calibrate.

I've never seen any posts either here or on Civinfo with this problem from collection so maybe one of the sensors is iffy.
Let's be careful out there !

Haderach

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2022, 07:29:50 AM »
Thank you very much for the replies. All my journeys so far have less than 15 miles, I will keep a close eye on it but remain positive for now.

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2022, 08:35:43 AM »
From the owners manual, these are the requirements for initialisation of the deflation warning system to complete.

Jeff15

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Very good
  • My Honda: 2022 Jazz EX Midnight Blue
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2022, 08:43:50 AM »
Interesting, I must say that I had not read this useful information..
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 08:47:41 AM by Jeff15 »

pebbles

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 sport
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2022, 06:27:57 PM »
noticed at the dealers a separate user guide for the deflation warning system, right on the front desk.

I guess they get a lot of calls and queries about it , producing a leaflet to give to customers is probably an easy option.

Hicardo

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64mpg summer avg, 56mpg winter avg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Surf Blue 2021
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2022, 08:55:58 AM »
I have not had any problems with this in my Crosstar.  If your tyres are correctly inflated and you've done a TPMS reset, then I would contact your dealer to get them to diagnose.   :)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2022, 12:39:46 PM »
If your tyres are correctly inflated and you've done a TPMS reset, then I would contact your dealer to get them to diagnose.
The OP says he has not driven far enough to do a TPMS reset.

Wilmo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.5 Sport 2018
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2022, 02:12:48 PM »
had this happen with my MK3 1.5, DWS suddenly came on and tyres all looked fine.
reset and drove 40 odd miles and not seen a peep since.

Haderach

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2022, 06:32:09 PM »
I haven't had the warning go off since. I did speak to the dealer and they will take a look to be sure but said the system is very sensitive for new cars initially. I will update if anything is found.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2022, 04:40:04 AM »
What can affect TPMS is the running in of new tyres.

If you have to replace just one corner then you can expect multiple warnings as the tyre wall beds in and becomes more supple. I found that 300 miles is the point where it stops for good. With a new car though this shouldn't happen as all 4 corners should bed in at the same rate.

I've never had premature warnings on any of my 4 Hondas with this system, but, I've always completed over 15 miles, 10 with the Jazz within 24hrs.
Let's be careful out there !

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2022, 04:30:08 PM »
When my car was new I got TPMS  activation at about 100 miles.  I  Reset and got it again 50 miles later.  The third reset  I  have had no more activations over 7500 miles so far. 
  This scenario seems quite common.  Its no big deal. Stop somewhere, go into park, check no tyre appears to have lost pressure, ideally using a tyre pressure gauge.  If they look  ok  activate the recalibration sequence and off you go.   

I have recently I fitted my new wheels with new all season tyres.    No activation for   about 200 miles.  I reset , but it went off again soon after, probably immediately after the recalibration  period.   
I left it about 50 miles  before recalibrating  again.  This time it seems successful, no more activations  in more than 1000 miles so far . 

I am hoping that when the  summer wheels go back on next year  they will only need one calibration as they already have 7500 miles them.

To explain my strange behaviour  (or some of it anyway)   I  need winter legal tyres  for some countries I visit. . My cunning plan is to even the tread  wear between the two sets of wheels  . If the summer tyres  get near their limit I wont bother buying more summer tyres . The car will be sold with  its original wheels and still legal tyres .:P    Meantime I will  use the all season wheels both summer and winter  . If those tyres also need replacement ,no problem as I will be keeping those wheels for my next car anyway so its me that gets the benefit.    ;)
  I will fix that dripping tap.  No need to keep reminding me every 3 months.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2022, 07:37:46 PM »
When my car was new I got TPMS activation at about 100 miles.  I Reset and got it again 50 miles later.  The third reset I have had no more activations ....
My experience was the same.  Also repeated when I had new tyres fitted.

Tags: