Author Topic: service costs!!!  (Read 6905 times)

sif

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz se 2005
Re: service costs!!!
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2019, 12:50:56 PM »
There are only 2 bolts to a droplink so I decided to do mine myself. Worst job I ever did on a car. the bolts just spin, the allan key strips out. It took an angle grinder, a cold chisel, a lump hammer  a vibrating cutting tool and several hours sweat. And I still have the other side to do.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2019, 06:39:44 PM »
Most car manufacturers have factored in a 7 year life for all their vehicles these days.
Dealerships are always looking for added profits at MOT & service times.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2019, 07:07:25 PM »
There are only 2 bolts to a droplink so I decided to do mine myself. Worst job I ever did on a car. the bolts just spin, the allan key strips out. It took an angle grinder, a cold chisel, a lump hammer  a vibrating cutting tool and several hours sweat. And I still have the other side to do.

Forget the allen key hole, waste of time. Get yourself a small pair of stillsons, force them between the droplink and the anti-roll bar (over the rubber boot) to stop the ball end rotating, and undo the nut with a ½" ratchet and hex socket. Never fails for me, shouldn't take more than a few minutes.

If you have mole grips but no stillsons, try those, but you can't beat the stillsons. If it's really stubborn, some heat on the nut.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2019, 10:08:32 PM »
Reminds me of some of the die hard members of the biking fraternity I encountered many moons ago who considered Jap bikes to be little more than glorified mopeds and leaking oil the hallmark of genuine pedigree.

I think British motorbikes used to be sponsored by the major oil companies as it almost seemd they were designed to leak and use more oil. If those die hard bikers are anything like my brother in law he fitted the loudest exhaust possible ( quoting the oft used phrase 'a loud bike is a safe bike') to his bike but pointedly refused to ride with his headlight on all the time, me I kept standard exhaust and fitted extra lights. For me 'a loud bike is a bl00dy annoying bike, but well lit bike is a safer bike'.....

Yep. Lights on all the the time. People just do not see motor/cyclists. They seem to see straight through them.

Round here, most motorcyclists like to wear leathers..BLACK leathers..  Designed not to be seen in shade, or in the dark.

If motorcycle riders wnated to be seem, they would always have headlights on and wear fluorescent vest.

Few do.

And many drive like hooligans.

Until I see bikers visibly  trying to be safe, I tend to think of some of them as suicidal..

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2019, 11:40:43 PM »
Just had my 09 i-shift 120 mths/125k miles serviced by my local independent...£190. rear wiper, replaced n/s front window switch (parts provided by myself via eBay), and funny enough, f/s Droplink.

Lucky to have a very good value independent. Parts not genuine Honda but good quality parts.

Tags: