Author Topic: WTO rules?  (Read 23820 times)

Barky

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE CVT GK
Re: WTO rules?
« Reply #615 on: March 19, 2019, 03:50:48 PM »
Was slightly odd Bercow went back to a supposedly dissolved English parliaments 400 year old precedence in a UK parliament just over 300 years old (supposedly as it never actually was dissolved as in treaty of union & it absorbed Scotland instead) - BUT he was correct to block a 3rd vote on same bill in same session & May would more than likely still have lost the vote -- he's bought May more time, but time to do what?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #616 on: March 19, 2019, 04:06:28 PM »
Was slightly odd Bercow went back to a supposedly dissolved English parliaments 400 year old precedence in a UK parliament just over 300 years old (supposedly as it never actually was dissolved as in treaty of union & it absorbed Scotland instead) - BUT he was correct to block a 3rd vote on same bill in same session & May would more than likely still have lost the vote -- he's bought May more time, but time to do what?

To justify his ignoring precedent in his last controversial and biased ruling the poison dwarf said the following...

I am not in the business of invoking precedent, nor am I under any obligation to do so.

A lot of people in parliament thing that his intervention has actually made a no deal a lot more likely unless Brussels offers something when Theresa May goes back this week,  so it has actually strengthened her hand because she cannot put the original deal to another vote without some major concessions by EU ( the law of un-intended consequences strikes again ).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2006 GD5 Jazz 1.2 i-DSi S in Vivid Blue Pearl
« Reply #617 on: March 19, 2019, 04:09:04 PM »
A lot of people in parliament thing that his intervention has actually made a no deal a lot more likely
Hence the reason it was being discussed on Politics Live.

zzaj

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 1.4 EX CVT Orchid White
« Reply #618 on: March 19, 2019, 05:30:57 PM »

That's very interesting. I have no real knowledge of the history of the union and how it was achieved.

I really just know England took on a Scottish King in James VI  of Scotland as James 1 of England and assumed it flowed from there.

Are there any books you could recommend on the subject? I would be interested in learning more.

Barky

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE CVT GK
« Reply #619 on: March 19, 2019, 07:13:24 PM »

That's very interesting. I have no real knowledge of the history of the union and how it was achieved.

I really just know England took on a Scottish King in James VI  of Scotland as James 1 of England and assumed it flowed from there.

Are there any books you could recommend on the subject? I would be interested in learning more.
you're referring to union of the crowns, 100 years before union of parliaments ... and that union of parliaments was a messy affair with bribes & awarding of titles winning the day .... not that different to way May wanted her deal to get voted through

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #620 on: March 19, 2019, 07:41:33 PM »
Mair Burns.
Google " Parcel of Rogues"
The title refers not to the English but the Scottish politicians and aristocracy involved, who were rewarded with titles, lands and money. Sound familiar?

https://open.spotify.com/album/4ZYIoxe6o7DSs2CrLaIMGw

edit Added Link
Last edit from "who were ---"
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 07:17:10 AM by JimSh »

zzaj

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 1.4 EX CVT Orchid White
« Reply #621 on: March 19, 2019, 10:38:08 PM »

Your points are very well made. (Thanks also to the excellent intervention of JimSh). The Wikipedia entry for the Treaty of Union is also very interesting.

England, not having a written constitution, can usually find a precedent for anything (a concept which, for the English, is quite fun but others can find very difficult to understand). The English don't do "Rules" very well which can often be misunderstood.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE
« Reply #622 on: March 20, 2019, 12:38:15 AM »
the law of un-intended consequences strikes again

What makes you think it was unintended?

Methinks this is all playing out as someone has planned.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #623 on: March 20, 2019, 06:41:40 AM »
Methinks too!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #624 on: March 20, 2019, 09:56:26 AM »
the law of un-intended consequences strikes again

What makes you think it was unintended?

Well Baby Bercow ( or should that be Burco  https://www.ascotwholesale.co.uk/baby-burco-manual-fill-8-litre-50-cup-c8t?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxcSQ2rmQ4QIVSbvtCh263AZGEAYYByABEgJyZvD_BwE )      certainly shot himself in the foot,  but maybe Mother Theresa expected his predictable response ( Theresa May planning ahead, well I never ! )
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #625 on: March 20, 2019, 10:07:03 AM »
Seems if you are a Leave voter 'your are damned if you do and damned if you don't' by the vindictive establishment minions ..

https://order-order.com/2019/03/19/vindictive-ico-hits-vote-leave-40000-fine-not-data-agreed-delete/

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #626 on: March 20, 2019, 10:26:58 AM »
This piece pretty well sums up why I voted Leave and how I feel about the current Brexit situation.

http://www.brugesgroup.com/blog/the-british-road-to-dirty-war-analysis-by-david-betz-mlr-smith-1

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #627 on: March 20, 2019, 10:47:01 AM »
This piece pretty well sums up why I voted Leave and how I feel about the current Brexit situation.

http://www.brugesgroup.com/blog/the-british-road-to-dirty-war-analysis-by-david-betz-mlr-smith-1

excellent article - just about sums up the arrogant and complacent 'remain' establishment..

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #628 on: March 20, 2019, 01:13:39 PM »
Listening to PMQ's today and what a lacklustre bunch of politicians we have.

If parliament cannot decide then let's put it to a peoples vote, as long as WALKING AWAY WITH NO DEAL IS ONE OF THE OPTIONS ON THE BALLOT. As an ardent leaver, I would be happy for that.
What do the remainers think?

If no option gets more than 50% of the vote then the least favourite is dropped and we have a second round of voting.

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #629 on: March 20, 2019, 03:49:12 PM »

excellent article - just about sums up the arrogant and complacent 'remain' establishment..

The Bruges Group. I followed the link to their website. Another right wing "think tank". Members include Nigel Farage, Andrew Bridgen, Mark Francois, Daniel Hannan, Norman Lamont, Owen Paterson, John Redwood, Kate Hoey, Ian Duncan-Smith,Gisella Stuart and Norman Tebbit .
Just the sort of disaster capitalists willing to destroy the country for personal gain, and without a consideration of the liveliehoods of ordinary people.

I agree with the first couple of paragraphs in that the current crop  of politicians are useless but it's mainly down to this privileged group of people divorced from the realities of most of the population that the country is in the mess it's in. The English Public School system has a lot to answer for in instilling ineptitude and arrogance in the British ruling /political classes.  From the playing fields of Eton via  Oxford and Cambridge politics degrees and into jobs for the boys.
This guy tells it better than I can.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/mar/18/bitain-brexit-crisis-public-schools

Tags:

anything