Author Topic: WTO rules?  (Read 23833 times)

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
Re: WTO rules?
« Reply #540 on: March 13, 2019, 08:57:52 AM »
Tariffs pretty much as I expected despite forecasts from the doom merchants, including one industry "spokesman" on BBC World News this morning. When the announcement was only 90 minutes away you would think he would have enough sense to keep quiet, instead of showing his ignorance.

Maybe he was just a wee bit upset that he hadn't been consulted earlier :o

Quote from BBC
"BBC business editor Simon Jack says the UK has taken a "balanced approach" to tariffs in the event of a no-deal.

"They've cut some and kept some in place, for example the tariff on sheep meat is exactly same as it is," he says.

He also says that the government did not consult businesses on its tariff plan, saying the topic was simply "too sensitive"."      (my Bold)
end quote

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-vote-result-no-deal-theresa-may-eu-commons-delay-spring-statement-a8820356.html

Last edit insert "my bold"
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 09:56:15 AM by JimSh »

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2006 GD5 Jazz 1.2 i-DSi S in Vivid Blue Pearl
« Reply #541 on: March 13, 2019, 10:11:26 AM »
The IMF says that Greece is now one of the best economic performers in the EU. That is like saying Ross County is one of the best performers in the Scottish Championship! Says more about the rest of the competition.

https://www.imf.org/en/News/Articles/2019/03/11/na031119-greece-economy-improves-key-reforms-still-needed

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #542 on: March 13, 2019, 10:40:56 AM »
https://unherd.com/2019/03/the-eu-is-flunking-its-brexit-opportunity/

Good article...  Shows just how much Germany does depend on Euro ( as its sole beneficiary it is vital to their economy).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #543 on: March 13, 2019, 04:02:07 PM »
Currently watching the debate, in parliament, on the No Deal motion. The antics of the SNP makes me embarrass to be Scottish.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #544 on: March 13, 2019, 04:11:19 PM »
Currently watching the debate, in parliament, on the No Deal motion. The antics of the SNP makes me embarrass to be Scottish.

From what I have read the No Deal vote is advisory and not binding on government anyway... If I was government I would just ignore the sn0*fl4k3 MPs who want to throw away our last bargaining tool... or charge them with 'aiding a foreign power' ( used to be called treason ).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #545 on: March 13, 2019, 04:56:38 PM »

The SNP is the only party which has had a consistent and sensible approach throughout this debacle.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #546 on: March 13, 2019, 06:20:47 PM »
It is not their politics I am talking about. It is their behaviour. Parliament is not the best conducted of places but the SNP, today, were totally out of order. Like a shower of drunken yobs - only sober.

Barky

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE CVT GK
« Reply #547 on: March 13, 2019, 06:39:26 PM »
As a long time member I can only disagree ... Joanna Cherry QC MP makes PM & many other MPs look like a rank amateurs

Barky

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE CVT GK
« Reply #548 on: March 13, 2019, 06:41:15 PM »
It is not their politics I am talking about. It is their behaviour. Parliament is not the best conducted of places but the SNP, today, were totally out of order. Like a shower of drunken yobs - only sober.
Behaviour of Tory MPs is of course 1000x worse

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #549 on: March 13, 2019, 09:01:09 PM »
]Behaviour of Tory MPs is of course 1000x worse
I take it you didn't watch the debate this afternoon?

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #550 on: March 13, 2019, 09:04:54 PM »

Behaviour of Tory MPs is of course 1000x worse

And they're devious beggars too. Here's the story of tonight's shenanigans according to the Guardian. I was watching the Channel 4 news but missed all the nonsense.
"After the prime minister’s deal was heavily voted down for a second time on Tuesday, she announced a government motion ruling out a no-deal Brexit on 29 March – overturning her longstanding policy of refusing to rule it out.

May promised MPs a free vote, but the motion was carefully worded, with the final sentence stating that, “leaving without a deal remains the default in UK and EU law unless this house and the EU ratify an agreement”.

However, MPs voted by 312 to 308 to support a backbench amendment which struck out that last phrase so as to rule out a no-deal exit altogether.

In chaotic scenes, the government then rescinded its promise of a free vote; and whipped its MPs to vote against the amended motion.
Several cabinet ministers who have warned about the risks of a no-deal Brexit, including Philip Hammond and Amber Rudd, appeared to abstain, but the government still lost the vote, by 321 votes to 278 – a majority of 43.

The prime minister responded with a defiant statement, insisting a no-deal Brexit could only be avoided by agreeing a deal, or cancelling Brexit."

I think there is now a strong possibility that somebody is going to make a mistake  or the government will be outwitted bythe ERG and they'll commit to an accidental no deal Brexit.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 11:14:42 PM by JimSh »

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #551 on: March 13, 2019, 09:32:20 PM »
However, MPs voted by 312 to 308 to support a backbench amendment which struck out that last phrase so as to rule out a no-deal exit altogether.
4 ministers abstained and will still keep their job. Which shows how much of a Remainer the PM is.

Basil

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 1.2 s
« Reply #552 on: March 13, 2019, 10:28:18 PM »
She's tried every trick in the book and given 100% to get the hardest brexit she could agree with the EU whilst trying to avoid the disastrous no deal brexit that only a minority of hardliners want.

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #553 on: March 13, 2019, 11:25:02 PM »
4 ministers abstained and will still keep their job. Which shows how much of a Remainer the PM is.

" Sources close to the abstaining ministers claimed they had been given the nod to skip the vote.

It was indicated by sources last night that cabinet ministers who abstained did not intend to resign and Downing Street said they would not be pushed.

Mundell, the Scotland secretary, said he could not in conscience have opposed the amendment. “I’ve always opposed a no-deal Brexit. The house made its view clear by agreeing the Spelman amendment. I didn’t think it was right for me to oppose that,” he said. “The PM has my full support in her objective of leaving the EU with a deal to deliver an orderly Brexit.”"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/13/approve-my-deal-or-face-article-50-extension-may-warns-brexiters

Mundell and conscience in the same sentence.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #554 on: March 14, 2019, 07:09:39 AM »
Well how about weasel words,  a majority of 40 votes out of 650 ( 6% ) majority for 'remove no deal' and it is 'a sizeable majority' and 'the house has spoken' 'it is the will of the house' - but a majority of 1.2 million in referendum (4%) is 'very close', 'not a convincing majority' etc. etc.  These MPs have to realise we are negotiating with a vindictive and vengeful EU..  The the Yvette Cooper 'no deal amendment only got through by 8 votes but was hailed by the Guardian as 'a vote against the chaos of no deal'..

Here is a quote by Yvette Cooper in todays Guardian article

As a result, Cooper said, “the House of Commons has voted decisively tonight against the chaos of no deal”, a defeat that she said will force the prime minister to resolve the Brexit crisis, or leave backbenchers to try to take control of the process. 

So it appears in dear Yvettes mind that 8 votes in 640 is 'decisive' but 1.2 million is 'insignificant' - go girl, you convinced nobody but yourself..

Words fail me how spiteful politicians from parties like SNP and labour can attempt to take 'no deal' off the table ( even though the vote is advisory not binding the EU are watching and will be delighted at the antics of these idiots ) at a critical stage of the negotiations and not only bind out negotiators hand and foot, but gag them as well.  I we do have another GE soon I am sure the self-seeking idiots will get what they deserve at the hands of their constituents....

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/03/14/rotten-parliament-worst-had-since-democracy-haters-1830s/
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 09:08:53 AM by culzean »

Tags: