Author Topic: The MP3 alternative...  (Read 16696 times)

guest765

The MP3 alternative...
« on: May 19, 2009, 04:34:01 PM »
To incorporate an MP3 player to work with the factory installed system there is an easy and quite cheap way to do it, without any wiring, moving of units, and it is portable from vehicle to vehicle with an FM radio.

This was the solution I wanted, an mp3 player without altering in any way the in car system. 
What to do..You need to purchase an FM Car Transmitter with MP3 facility and USB, not expensive, about £10-£20…….then you need a USB  (I got a san disc) memory stick, I bought the 2 gig one this gives you plenty of room for as much music you can shake a stick at……I got them from the same web site …datakits.co.UK.
Then you load your music on to the memory stick put the transmitter into the cigarette lighter tune your FM radio into the frequency on the transmitter and away you go playing your music through your system as good as the rest of it.
Hope this helps.Joe

guest238

• Topic Starter
Re: The MP3 alternative...
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 07:17:08 PM »
I never knew such a device was possible!

Thanks for letting us know.

guest765

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 07:20:06 PM »
The beauty of it is it can be transferred to any of your vehicles with an FM radio....

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 08:23:45 PM »
(topic moved to Audio forum)

Nice one:)

Is the sound quality decent enough? (I'm not an audiophile)

That company accepts payment by Paypal....might get myself one as I've got a small amount in my Paypal account.

guest806

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 09:01:22 PM »
Memory bits (WWW.memorybits.co.uk) do one that can also charge your mobile phone.
I don't have this but do have an alternative.  Sound quality is acceptable as any mp3 player.

guest516

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 09:52:18 PM »

USB memory sticks work a treat in the new Jazz 09 -
so no need to purchase an MP3 player ;D

guest765

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 07:38:18 AM »
Oh to have money..........the things that are available ;)

Peter

• Approved Member
    • Peter's World
  • My Honda: MkII Jazz iVTEC 1.4 CVT
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 02:39:50 PM »
Hi

Just found this on Amazon [not very busy at work today] and it seems an excellent choice for the Jazz. http://www.amazon.co.uk/TeckNet-Memory-Modulator-Supports-Control/dp/B000S2KG7C/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t.
Very good reviews on Amazon but should be a shade cheaper if purchased direct from the manufacturer. The only drawback that I can see that hasn't been mentioned in the reviews is that the maximum size SD card it will take is 2GB. I shall be ordering this shortly and will report back when I have tried it in my car.

Peter in Devon

guest765

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 10:01:54 AM »
Peter it looks like an up dated version or  look like of the system i put in the previous post....i have had mine running for a few years and this looks like an upgrade of mine......i will look into this as an option to upgrade mine...if it incorporates the memory stick, i dont know about the SD cards though im getting old you know.......many thanks ...Joe
Your site for the option also has the new replacement after having a peep this is what i will go for incorporating the memory stick system...thanks once again

CR100 Car MP3 Player & FM Transmitter with Card Rader/USB/Remote Control

Price: £8.49 

In stock.
Dispatched from and sold by Digital Daffodil. 

3 new from £8.49 

guest911

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 07:01:31 PM »
7dayshop will sell you 5 different coloured dane-elec 1Gb flash pens for a tenner.  Ideal for keeping track of different styles or drivers' music.  They work fine in the new EX USB port too.

Hope this helps,

Mozart.

guest941

• Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 11:06:39 AM »
I am about to buy my my second Jazz an 05 plate model and was disappointed to find out that it didn't have an AUX socket as expected.  So I have come up with a solution.  A couple of years ago I owned a Smart Fortwo which had a multi CD changer I found a company on Ebay that supplied a CD changer DIN plug straight to a 3.5mm jack plug that connected to any MP3 player.  I fitted this plug and routed it to come out of the ashtray located immediately below the CD player, an ideal secure location.  To cut a long story short I have found on Ebay an upgraded device which I intend to fit after I pick up my  Jazz next week.  You will find this device connects as before to the multi CD changer connection onto the back of your head unit and I personally will route it into the glovebox for security. This new device comes from Germany and can play MP3, SD cards up to 4GB and USB sticks.  It is a bit pricey, but the ability to play all these types of media and possibly my portable DAB player is worth it.  Ill keep you posted.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Honda-USB-SD-MP3-AUX-Interface-Accord-Civic-Jazz-S2000_W0QQitemZ260430610853QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCE_Auto_Hi_Fi_Autoradios?hash=item3ca2dfc1a5&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1683|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

guest941

• Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 11:27:07 AM »
I am sick as a parrot.  I've just found the multiplayer £30 cheaper.

http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/product.php?productid=12&cat=3&page=1

Regarding the FM transmitters posted above.  It's only my experience but I found the sound quality very poor.

guest765

• Topic Starter
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 02:27:27 PM »
Bat re your poor quality playback on the FM unit.......there are several frequency options built in for weak stations.......the actual music stored on the memory stick is only as good as the equipment that recorded it on there.......i personally have had no problems with the quality........and i have a high grade system in my own car as standard.........the playback has always been good.
But its everyone to their own and i hope you find a satisfactory alternative............ 

wkb21

• Registered Member
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2009, 05:50:32 PM »

USB memory sticks work a treat in the new Jazz 09 -
so no need to purchase an MP3 player ;D

Well, some do and some don't I discover.  I put identical FAT/ MP3 audio files on two different memory sticks (downloaded as BBC mp3 podcasts).  One of the memory sticks played perfectly on the Jazz player through the USB socket, including file names on the display; the other memory stick showed "UNSUPPORTED".  Both played perfectly through RealPlayer on a PC.

I can't understand what is different about the two memories.  I reformatted both of them to the same FAT/ MP3 format before loading identical files!

Can anyone advise please?

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2009, 11:16:13 AM »
As I said a month or two ago, the "U3" memory sticks won't work in their default mode, as they emulate both a CD-ROM drive and a memory stick at the same time. The Jazz's player gets confused by this. You can reformat them (with a special program from the manufacturer) so that they're just a memory stick and they should then work, but you then lose the U3 function.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U3

Tags: