Author Topic: Great mpg...what do you get?  (Read 1264 times)

geoffchats

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX Navi
Great mpg...what do you get?
« on: May 26, 2019, 05:51:18 PM »
Just drove around 450 miles (Barnsley in Yorkshire to Croydon and back) in my 2009 Jazz EX IShift and got an mpg figure of 54.8 on the return journey. I think this is pretty good...do you agree. Around town I usually get 42-mpg. The picture is from the return journey, door to door, using Shell-Ultra fuel. The figure for the outbound ride was 55.0-mpg.
Cheers, Geoff

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Great mpg...what do you get?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 06:30:01 PM »
That is certainly a good figure. I find the Jazz very fuel efficient, having averaged 54.2 mpg for the 3 years and 26,000 I have owned the car.

Johncb500

• Approved Member
  • Honda owner since 1971,on 2 and 4 wheels
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz EX 2012-CB500/4 1974
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 06:44:16 PM »
Cruise control helps.

That figure is good.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 11:05:15 PM »
However, in my experience the Honda computer invariably over-estimates the mpg. My 2008 Jazz could claim up to 5 mpg higher than the mpg based on fuel into talk and miles travelled. Some cynics among us refer to the car's mpg display as the "fibometer".
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2019, 07:36:37 AM »
However, in my experience the Honda computer invariably over-estimates the mpg. My 2008 Jazz could claim up to 5 mpg higher than the mpg based on fuel into talk and miles travelled. Some cynics among us refer to the car's mpg display as the "fibometer".

It is hard to get a system that takes a 'snapshot' every 10 seconds during driving ( watch how often the MPG display updates after you have zeroed the trip ) because if you are in city doing stop-start it will invariably miss some peaks and troughs of fuel use.  The only way the system can 'calculate 'fuel used is by monitoring the injector 'on' times and averaging the perceived flow over miles traveled.  The MPG readout tends to be more sensitive to changes in driving conditions during first 100 miles on the trip ( it changes quite quickly in response to hills etc.)  As the mileage on trip build up it is averaging any change in fuel usage over a larger mileage so its response gets a bit blunted.

To be fair I found ( when I did check fuel in miles against MPG readout ) that the smoother my driving the closer the readout was to my calculated figure.  I just use the readout as a very general guide to whether I am using more or less fuel by for instance sticking to 60 on the motorway and accelerating more slowly, braking less etc.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Steve1962

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 1.4 ES Manual
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2019, 08:16:41 AM »
I'm getting 51.8 mpg on the fibometer, but am driving circa 10 miles each way to work on B roads and about 6 miles of it on an A road.

Steve

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2019, 09:11:08 AM »
My fibometer does not give instantaneous readouts so I pretty much ignore it. I calculate my mpg figure using fuel added to tank and miles covered from odometer.

Tags:

anything