Author Topic: So not PC  (Read 1550 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
So not PC
« on: May 04, 2019, 04:04:14 PM »
Today my wife stuck a CD on in the car. It was the 1963 recording of the Rat Pack - Live at the Sands Hotel. It was hilarious, but so not PC. Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and Sammy Davis Junior were cracking jokes that Frankie Boyle would get censured for today. If stars came out with some of the things they said today, social media, the papers, and public opinion would tear them to threads. But I had to laugh like a pooch. Does that make me a bad person?

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
Re: So not PC
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 04:17:47 PM »
Today my wife stuck a CD on in the car. It was the 1963 recording of the Rat Pack - Live at the Sands Hotel. It was hilarious, but so not PC. Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and Sammy Davis Junior were cracking jokes that Frankie Boyle would get censured for today. If stars came out with some of the things they said today, social media, the papers, and public opinion would tear them to threads. But I had to laugh like a pooch. Does that make me a bad person?

I can think of a few on the list starting with Blazing Saddles. Even the Dambusters is in dodgy territory with Guy Gibson's dog being called '**********'. It's a complicated world these days.

guest7494

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 11:42:24 AM »
It is a complicated world sure enough,but. we have all allowed it to happen slowly slowly,What happened to free speech in this country.
Nb.
I have removed my previous observations just incase it was NOT PC must not upset the little darlings.

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 01:28:50 PM »
It is a complicated world sure enough,but. we have all allowed it to happen slowly slowly,What happened to free speech in this country.
Nb.
I have removed my previous observations just incase it was NOT PC must not upset the little darlings.

Well, one reason is evidenced by my post which was 'kindly' edited and the offending word blocked out within minutes. Not sure if that is the result of man or machine (perhaps that should be 'person'). Anyone familiar with the Dambusters will know the name of the black labrador in question. Sadly, like so many words in the English language, it's literal meaning, in this case a description of colour, has been hijacked by political wordsmiths for having deregotary connotations. However, what is all the more interesting is that the word is often used by members of the very ethnic group in question. Funny old world, 'innit'!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 01:33:07 PM by MartinJG »

guest7494

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 04:15:21 PM »
Nb.

Well, one reason is evidenced by my post which was 'kindly' edited and the offending word blocked out within minutes. Not sure if that is the result of man or machine (perhaps that should be 'person'). Anyone familiar with the Dambusters will know the name of the black labrador in question. Sadly, like so many words in the English language, it's literal meaning, in this case a description of colour, has been hijacked by political wordsmiths for having deregotary connotations. However, what is all the more interesting is that the word is often used by members of the very ethnic group in question. Funny old world, 'innit'!

Not me not guilty honest  which brown was it ?.

guest4871

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 04:45:03 PM »
Funny old world, 'innit'!

Tell that to the Romans!   :-X

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 10:41:16 AM »
Nb.

The '******' was automatically inserted by the word filter.

'Scunthorpe' used to get filted out (think about it).

Tags: